Jennings Indian Head Deci-Bell

General vintage slot machine related topics.
emile

Jennings Indian Head Deci-Bell

Post by emile »

Hi, does anyone have any idea of the age of a Jennings Indian Head Deci-Bell......dont have a pic as asking for a relative, but apparently it says '2 pulls 5 new pence'?? Be grateful if anyone can help to settle a family argument on how old this is!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Jennings Indian Head Deci-Bell

Post by badpenny »

Hi and welcome.

Jennings Indian Head Governors tend to be from the 1960s. The name Deci-Bell may have been a rename to modernise it following decimalisation.
The 5np coin was introduced around 68 and was of course the same size as the old shilling therefore it extended the working life of such machines. The ones working on tanners (6d) became obsolete, electric machines were coming in anyway.

You may find a date on the mechanism of your machine anyway. Look at the bottom left corner of the base plate at the back of the mechanism. Sometimes there is also a date on the front of the coin escalator, you'll need to remove the mechanism to see that one. It's not uncommon for the two dates to differ on the same machine, they must have made the escalators separately.

Feel free to upload some photos we love photos.

BP
emile

Post by emile »

Thank you and sorry for not re-posting earlier....
Interesting stuff, am going to have a closer look to see if I can find any dates.
I have now found there's no key for it, does anyone have any idea where I can buy such a thing??
I'll take some photos when I get a moment!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You'd need a key to match the particular lock.
I'm assuming it's unlocked?
You could try taking the back door to a Locksmith.

Otherwise replacement locks and keys crop up on eBay, and very strangely, often after somebody has asked where they can get something on here :!?!:

BP
emile

Post by emile »

Thanks. Unfortunately it's locked!! Will hunt on ebay, but if anyone else knows of any.....??
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

In that case, if you don't fancy lugging it around Locksmiths or lack an urge to train as a lock picker I guess your options narrow down to drilling the lock out.

BP
emile

Post by emile »

Thanks, but locksmith has never been top of my list for a career move. May have to resort to the drill
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

if its the standard jennings barrel lock its easier to pick than it is to drill out,but there would be little point in picking it,you would need a set of picks,a little practice and you still wont have a key. Cheaper and quicker to drill it out and get a new lock.
emile

Post by emile »

Will let you know how i get on!