Allwin backflash replacement and installation

General vintage slot machine related topics.
papillon

Allwin backflash replacement and installation

Post by papillon »

Topic moved - Site Admin.

Hi everyone,
I have only just signed up to this site, having fortunately happened across it while looking for information with reference to 'backflashes' for my Allwin Penny Arcade machines.
I came by the machines after being convinced by a collector that everything wrong with the 3 machines was an easy fix and a 10 minute job.
After parting with a substantial amount of money ('a fool and his money' springs to mind), I brought the machines home and within a few days of investigation/research realised my predicament.
However I threw myself into the challenge and stripped one of the machines, while meticulously referencing every part of the refurbishment. The good thing is that although each machine has it's mechanical problems, with the exception of the backlashes the problems are different for each machines. This meant that I could determine why a coin would not drop on one machine, by looking at the coin mechanism on a machine that worked!
I have completely stripped one cabinet and repaired all of the damage (screw holes etc.) and have decided to oil the Oak rather than stain or varnish it. I also intend to have all of the metalwork re-chromed (in for a penny...) as it seems a shame not to attend to everything while I have the chance.
What I really would appreciate is any advice with reference to replacement backflashes for two of the machines.
They are both 'Win a Spangles', but unfortunately the plastics are well beyond any form of repair.
What has crossed my mind is that I could effectively replace them with different variations of backflashes for Allwins that dispense sweets/chocolates, so any help in obtaining copies of the graphics would be very much appreciated indeed.
I am really looking forward to finishing my first machine within the next couple of month, so time is not not of the essence (so to speak) at the moment.
I have so far managed to retain all of the original parts (with the exception of the backflashes of course), so I do feel it is important to source a copy of the 'Win a Spangles' graphics or similar. This will certainly help to maintain the integrity of the machines and as I still recall enjoying playing on the similar machines when I was a child the history associated with these is important to me.
Well on that note I would just like to end by saying that I have enjoyed reading through the forums and it really is a pleasure knowing that so many people are Excellent purchase and fast delivery passionate about such things, that others may consider insignificant and not worth the effort.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
slotalot

Re: Allwin Backflash.

Post by slotalot »

Hi Paul, Welcome to the forum, it would be helpful if you could post some photos of the machines so that we can give accurate advice on the parts you are looking for, to get you started click here to find an Oliver Whales win a spangles artwork. If you spend some time looking through the resources you will find more. !!JUNK!!
papillon

Re: Allwin Backflash.

Post by papillon »

Hi,
I can't thank you enough for graphics as I had all but convinced myself it would be an impossible task finding a replacement.
I have also taken your advice and managed (through resources) to find a 'Win a Polo' backflash, so I am now very happy indeed. This not only means that I get to replace both backflashes, but also have the opportunity to display different backgrounds.
With reference to photographs, I will endeavour to post some in due course and please accept my thanks again for your help.
papillon

New replacement backflash installation

Post by papillon »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

I have managed to strip my machine down completely without too much hassle, and cleaned the cabinet up beautifully.
However I would like some advice (if possible) on the best way to put the new replacement !PUZZLED! laminated backflash on.
The originals are 'tacked' on, but I wondered whether there was a 'cleaner' way (to finish so to speak), such as adhesive etc?

Any information would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul. !PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Allwin backflash replacement and installation

Post by pennymachines »

Personally I'd tack it in place because that's how it was done originally and it's therefore more authentic. The track does most of the job of pinning the backflash anyway. I guess double-sided sticky tape or some other non-permanent means of holding it flat would be fine too.
papillon

Re: Allwin backflash replacement and installation

Post by papillon »

I have managed to retrieve all of the small brass tacks when removing the old (and irreparably cracked) backflash, so it does make sense to replace the new one in the same manner that it these were initially installed.
Occasionally it seems to make a little sense when someone else suggests it!

Many thanks,

Paul