Nottingham Collector

General vintage slot machine related topics.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Nottingham Collector

Post by badpenny »

I've heard one of our more senior members from the Nottingham area has cashed his pennies in.
It came to me third hand, but I trust the source ....... John Foreman hadn't been to one of auctions for several years but was at the earlier ones with the new lady in his life.
I first met John in the early 90s when I discovered the wonder of Ad-Mag.
Within minutes of meeting him I learnt he'd had a history as a Gaff Lad, probably at the local Wakes that lead to The Goose Fair.
Regardless of what machines passed through his hands he always kept his Beromat style bandit with an automatic JP added on, which he was always happy to show off.
Look inside your machines if you have a penciled insignia JFA then it was one of his. He tended to write it in the case of those he worked on.
I'm not sure "John Foreman Automatics" ever existed outside of his imagination, perhaps someone knows.

If it isn't true and he's still with us then he'll just give me another bollocking, it's been a while since he did and I kind of miss them ..... always easy with the straight talk was John.

Starting each of our auctions announcing the passing of another friend and fellow collector seems to have become a regular occurrence.

BP
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Nottingham Collector

Post by pennymachines »

I'm afraid you're not mistaken BP. Friends of John were talking of his death yesterday. I had not spoken to him for several decades, but traded several machines with him when I started collecting. He was the only fellow I've met who recalled seeing, as a young lad, the almost mythical Bryans Bumper in the wild (in a Nottingham arcade). In fact, I think he said there were two, behind two long queues waiting to play! This apparently because Mr Bryan (not for the last time) overachieved his aim of providing "a game of skill". Needless to say, the "out of order" signs appeared promptly and who knows what fate befell the offending machines?
My condolences to John's family.
glittering-prize67

Post by glittering-prize67 »

John was a lovely guy, genuine and helpful. I saw him regular, he bought one of my home-made pushers. I was gutted to hear he had passed on. Shame about his prat of a son. Don't like him at all. !PUNISH!
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Sad news indeed. Cam anyone post a photo of John? It might help prompt collectors' memories.