Jennings Victoria (Peacock) help needed

General vintage slot machine related topics.
coppinpr

Jennings Victoria (Peacock) help needed

Post by coppinpr »

Ok, I guess everyone saw this on Ebay well it was close to me so I set up an Esnipe bid and got it for a good bit less than I set my max .
£330 seems a good price (in my view). Those who know me know I like machines that have reached the stage of needing to be restored rather than restoring machines that are in reasonable original condition and this fits the bill as its been repainted before anyway.
Bought it from an 80 year old guy who used to have an engineering plant, a guy asked if he could restore this machine in his Workshop and took it there in 1964..then never came back, been sitting there till this guy retired and brought it home,sold it simply because hes making space!

On the plus side
it all checks out as original (at least as far back as its initial conversion to UK coinage) the handle looks to me to be a rare original, the magnifying glass is clearly original and the rest of the glass seems to be but cant be certain.
the mech works fine but needs a lot of work to clean it up
the coin entry is obviously from the Uk set up but is so good I wonder if it was factory supplied or conversion from US coinage with the front "1d" plate added as its just screw in anyway
big plus is the three button reel stops which are complete on the mech and the case and work fine.
the case is in very good condition,heavy base and thick sides with no damage or worm at all.
on the down side
as usual the original UK conversion takes some parts away, no JP,( the jack pot activating parts are there but I have no idea what kind of JP this machine used?) and a more simple coin drop but the 1d stack tube and slides are clearly the real thing and quite rare I guess.
the reel strips are completely shot but they were UK conversions anyway so no loss and easy to replace I think.
only parts really missing is the coin draw, coin tray door/lock , and the back door lock

Although Ive never had a Jennings mech this old it seems quite simple except for the left side. what's with the large and small cogs? the big one is marked in 10's from 10 to 90 so is it a counter? and perhaps the small one counts the 100's ?? . Experts tell me please, any advice on this machine greatly appreciated .
Please let me know if you think Ive made a mistake on this machine and why, cant fix my mistakes unless someone points them out. :cool:

case front start.jpg

front start2.jpg

front start.jpg

back start.jpg

counter.jpg

treefrog

Re: A bargain! at least it is to me!!

Post by treefrog »

Yes did consider, but I already have a Victoria, so thought I would leave. Cabinet sides and most of based has been replaced. Mechanism is very early, mine is a 20 stop, looks like the skills stops are there as well, although no Jackpot. I thought the top casting was not matching the lower Peacock type, but now seeing the top, maybe this was a variation.

Looks like a nice project

I may have a jackpot for these and I do have a repro lower door :D
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

The mech parts on the left are for the machine to decide where the next coin inserted into machine is routed, e.g. coin tube/jp/cashbox etc.

GP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I thought the case might be a replacement. Although aged in the man's workshop for 50 years, it still looked too good to be true. This mech is a 10 stop.
treefrog wrote:I may have a jackpot for these and I do have a repro lower door
I think the top case is a variation as ive found photos from the USA of at least two others with identical top castings
I'm very interested in the JP and the lower door - please PM me. I'll be at Coventry, so if we can do a deal we can exchange there.
aristomatic wrote:The mech parts on the left are for the machine to decide where the next coin inserted into machine is routed, e.g. coin tube/jp/cashbox etc
Very interesting. Any idea why they are numbered ?
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

Numbers correspond to number of coins into the jackpot - any extra is diverted into cashbox.
These look great restored, well worth the £330 in my opinion, attached is my Victoria.
It's a looker, but I paid a fairly hefty amount for it!
Attachments
020a.jpg
coppinpr

Jennings Victora (Peacock) help needed

Post by coppinpr »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

I'm going through my Peacock and everything seems OK, mostly just needs a good clean. Two problems I am having is:
(1) Springs. I don't get on well with springs - they hate me, and this machine has lots that need replacing, many that are missing and some that have come adrift. The left side is a nightmare. To start with, I've never even seen this set up before and it has more springs than a Slumbertime bed, most of them disconnected or missing!
counter.jpg

Can some kind soul post a photo of this area with all the springs attached, please.
(2) There is a set of three horizontal fingers to the left of the slides (from the front) that are for the most part missing from later machines. One of these has a large hole on it facing the fan. Should this have a spring attached?
I'll try to post a photo of this finger.
missing spring lug.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Jennings Victora(Peacock) help needed

Post by badpenny »

You've probably already found this lot .......
Downloadable manual for Victoria $14.95
Also .....
Click on these two and then click on each of them to enlarge.
Here
And Here
slotsoffun

Re: Jennings Victora (Peacock) help needed

Post by slotsoffun »

Just curious as I've never seen this type of huge cogged wheel on the side of a mechanism before... what's it used for?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

slotsoffun wrote:what's it used for?
See aristomatic's post in merged thread above.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Thanks to BP, who,as usual managed to answer all my questions. I downloaded the manual which is a copy of the original factory service book and its very useful. Turns out the offending finger is the "safety slide control lever" and it is missing a spring .
Page 32 was I thought quite revealing. It shows a set of tools which are described as essential adjustment set and available for $5. (I do like the the way is says "will save time and patience" I guess this means "if it dont work bend it"
The set has three benders but no screwdriver, this is not the first time Im seen bending as mentioned as a normal part of slot adjustment,the mills manuals say the same.
thanks again BP

jennings manual.jpg

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Well it's finished. I'm not wildly pleased with my effort but considering the state it was in to start with (see photos above) I guess I couldn't have actually made it worse. My thanks to tree frog for supplying a lower rear door, and to Dave at MrSlot who found me a spare part for the very early clock in his "box of odd bits". I had to add new locks, new reel strips and rebuild the clock. The mech works OK but not perfect (it is a very early 10 stop version). On the plus side, it does have working reel stops. It's missing a coin box and the original payout card which should fit on the upper case below the round glass but I couldn't find any record or photo of one to build from. It has no jackpot but does have the jackpot activating parts for it on the mech. Anyway, it only cost £330 and I did buy it for the fun of the work. I won't keep it, not my style really, so it will go to Elephant House or the forum next auction I guess. :cool:
finished.jpg

highfield

Re: Jennings Victoria (Peacock) help needed

Post by highfield »

Fantastic job, well done
**xXx**
clubconsoles

Re: Jennings Victoria (Peacock) help needed

Post by clubconsoles »

Very nice coppinpr, tasteful restoration!