A Top Tip ........p'raps

General vintage slot machine related topics.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

A Top Tip ........p'raps

Post by badpenny »

I don't think any of us could have been collecting slots for more than 10 minutes before we learnt that gravity suddenly increases the moment you start to dismantle anything.
You don't need to be an "Isinglass Newton Brunel" to realise that the moment something hits the ground the angle it bounces off in is in direct relation to how irreplaceable it is.

Here's what you need to do.........
Check up on eBay for neodymium rare earth magnets. They are very very powerful.
I keep a large one at my feet in my workshop, you could alternatively place a handful of smaller ones around you.
You can obtain them for free if you're breaking an old computer as they are used in Hard Drives.
Be careful they are more powerful than ordinary magnets. They'll pull the picture off the screen of your TV and if you're holding one and go past something metallic you could end up with your fingers crushed.
I have found painting a yellow arrow on the floor helps the nut/screw/washer/bolt know which way to go.
I have found painting a yellow arrow on the floor helps the nut/screw/washer/bolt know which way to go.

It'll even catch a spring in mid twang. And before anyone points out that older machines often use brass bits and bobs in them. You'd be surprised how many of those gubbins are only plated to stop rusting and are actually steel.
Don't wear Steel Capped Boots you'll never leave the workshop.
Don't wear Steel Capped Boots you'll never leave the workshop.

They're not cheap to buy, but they're really useful and quite dangerous.
BP !!HOBBYHORSE!!
clubconsoles

Re: A Top Tip ........p'raps

Post by clubconsoles »

Ha I have a couple of those magnets, but not as big as yours!!
You are right, they are dangerous. I keep mine apart with three beer mats, I used too keep them apart with just one, but i let em snap together one with just one mat and the tip of my finger by accident, a blood blister graced that finger within seconds accompanied by a few choice four letter words.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I have three of them, they came from a junked wind generator.
Each one can lift 125lb, even if I can't.

They're also quite brittle, so if you let them slam uncontrollably they can shatter. However in the context I've shown they'll literally suck anything steel based as it flies past.
raj

Post by raj »

I'm not quite sure what the point of this thread is, but you can get a huge nasty magnet out of a microwave oven which will stick you to the ceiling if you try, just turn off the microwave first before you remove it!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Good idea. When we shut our factory down in 2000 I spent weeks clearing out all the machines, then machinery, and finally shelving/storage units etc. I found a whole handful of "lost" bits and pieces under or behind cabinets. The best, or worst find for that matter, was some unusual and comlicated piece that I'd had to hand make at great time and expense, after never having found it from about 12 years earlier! No wonder I never found it though, turned up about 25 feet from where it dropped off my bench???
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

raj wrote:I'm not quite sure what the point of this thread is, but you can get a huge nasty magnet out of a microwave oven which will stick you to the ceiling if you try, just turn off the microwave first before you remove it!
I don't agree with you there Raj.
I have stripped microwaves, first apart from unplugging one there is also a need to earth the condensers before tinkering, unless you want a free perm.
Then after unmantling components that were never designed to be taken apart, just thrown away, I ended up with two large ferrite ring magnets with approx 2 lb pulling weight.
I understand their purpose is to kick start the direction of activity in the magnetron when it's powered up hence they don't need to be strong.
Also Ferro magnets do steadily lose their power as they age and require a keeper to slow that down. Rare earth magnets will lose a small percentage of their power often in the first year then remain at that level ..... it's thought.

As for the point of this thread it's to share an idea that has prevented me from losing bucket loads of dropped screws/nuts/washers/bolts and odds and sods over the last year.

BP