Uniselector wanted

General vintage slot machine related topics.
slotalot

Uniselector wanted

Post by slotalot »

Hi, I am restoring an electro-mechanical machine for a friend, and am looking for a uniselector. :cool:

It must be a Siemens 15A uniselector. The ones made by Strowger will not do for this job. :tut (see photo)

It needs to have 25 stops and at least 6 rows of contacts. !!THUMBSX2!!

If anyone has one to spare please PM me with details. !!JUNK!!
Attachments
uniselector type.PNG
uniselector type.PNG (87.99 KiB) Viewed 4315 times
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: uniselector wanted

Post by badpenny »

Hi Stu .........

I've got two, however I don't know what make or spec they are.

I'm hopping around with one arm in a sling at the moment.

Naturally the box containing the said "beasties" is in my garage and will necessitate the moving of .....
* A compressor
* 4 project bandits
* Harley Davidson
* Goliath (Bryans) crane

So if it's alright with you, could you wait and see if anyone else has one before I coerce She Who Must Be Obeyed into pulling her weight around here for a change? :-(
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hello my dear friend. :cool:
I hope said arm is mending after your spot of self restoration. :oops:
Thanks for being the first to offer help. As for S.H.M.B.O. moving heavy boxes? I would never be brave enough to suggest such a thing ^{}^ unless of course she is reading this and feels very very sorry for me !!VIOLIN!! ............. !PIGSFLY!

I hope it is not too long before you are back to full fitness and able to lift a glass with either hand. !!CHEERS!!
Regards from the wet and windy north. :D
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Oh bugger! ... I was looking forward to you popping down for a cup of coffee and me having my garage tidied up whilst you searched them out :lol:
slotalot

Re: Uniselector wanted

Post by slotalot »

!SOFA! I am still on the lookout for a Siemens 15A uniselector if anyone has one to spare !!ANYONE!! !!PLEASE!!
Attachments
uniselector type.PNG
uniselector type.PNG (87.99 KiB) Viewed 4181 times
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Alright chap, I'll bite the bullet and go mining tomorrow (I promise) If you don't hear from me within a day or so please feel free to comment to somebody .... anybody where I was last headed.

BP
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

!THUMBS! !!CHEERS!! !WORSHIPFULL! !!HOORAY!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I have returned, yet I feel my discoveries were not up to expectations.
I have two of these ...........
IMG_2123.JPG

IMG_2122.JPG

IMG_2121.JPG

slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Jeremy :cool:
Thanks for taking the time to go out on a cold day to do some foraging on my behalf, it is most appreciated **xXx**
They look quite useful little selectors and I could think of a few ways to use them, but sadly not on the machine I am trying to fix :oops: I will just have to keep looking, I am sure the one I am after will turn up at some point and the machine will run once again :D
Best regards, see at Coventry.. :tarah:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Would it help if I painted them a different colour?

Not to worry, you know where they are when you need them.
garythegolfer

Post by garythegolfer »

Hi,
Did you have any luck getting hold of a Siemens uniselector? It turns out that I could really do with one of these as well.....for the same reason! I have finally found the real reason that my Electrodart was scrapped.

Yours hopefully,
G :(
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Gary, not got the right one yet :cry:
surprised to hear of Siemens uniselectors being used in an Electrodart !PUZZLED! have you got a photo of your machine? what problems do you have with it??
Regards Stuart.
garythegolfer

Post by garythegolfer »

Stuart,

Earlier photo attached showing the 2 (black-faced) Siemens uniselectors. This was part-way through the rewiring. The machine had been cannibalised and had much of the wiring missing/damaged. I used your wiring diagram to try to work out how it should have been wired (Thank you!). I have uploaded my revised diagrams (based on your work) to the resources section. There are some minor revisions still to come. The rewiring is just about complete now and the machine does sort of work. The biggest problem now turns out to be the Left hand uniselector......the machine runs and pays out sometimes. Mostly it pays out double or doesn't payout or pays out continuously. All the faults are a function of the faulty left hand uniselector.

The left hand uniselector has damaged wipers tips. They had been butchered and are of uneven lengths so that is currently impossible to get all the wipers to simultaneously sit somewhere near the middle of the bank contacts.

I do have a very nice 6-way (GEC?) uniselector but that needs about 50 volts and the Siemens variety (and my whole electrodart) function on 24 volts. Making the LH uniselector (alone) work from 50 volts turns out to be a real pain.

The easiest solution for me would be to replace the LH Siemens.....preferably whilst retaining the existing uniselector bank and wiring.

Gary
Attachments
Electrodart 4.JPG
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Gary, that range of jamieson machines can be tricky buggers to set up at the best of times, I wish you luck, I am sure you will get it sorted given time, if I do manage to find any siemens uniselectors I will let you know, it is only the lower half / rotor of the selector that I need, looks like someone has had this apart and lost the lower section :dammit:
I am sure one will turn up :cool:
garythegolfer

Post by garythegolfer »

OK. There's good news and bad news. I finally bit the bullet and rewound the 50v GEC 8 way uniselector to work from my Electrodart 24 volt system. It turns out that (for me at least) 2070 turns of 0.22mm wire can be replaced with 1040 turns of 0.31mm wire. This steps 50v down to 24v whilst keeping the power about the same (~30 watts). ie the same magnetic pulling power :D This was all the 0.31mm wire that would fit on the bobbin.
[Incidently an excellent primer on rewinding can be found here: http://www.qsl.net/ki7cx/Coilrewind.htm and an excellent calculator, if you want to be more technical, can be found here: http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/C ... ator.phtml ]

That was the good news. The bad news is that I now have to unsolder all the left hand (Siemens) uniselector connections and reconnect them all to the replacement GEC uniselector...... !!GRUMP!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Here's to you Gary !THUMBS!
Woo Hoo for the good news.

Good luck regarding the bad news. !!UHOH!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I'm still trying to track down a SIEMENS 25 x 4 UNISELECTOR No 15A, 1950s Yes, Slotalot was trying to source one for my Dial For Money. Unfortunately, he's otherwise engaged of late and no longer has time to fix machines. :cry: so I'm going to have to get my fingers dirty (or more likely burned :zapa: ) on this one. But first I have to find that uniselector... !SEARCH!
Attachments
siemens-uniselector.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

This is currently on ebay at the moment eBay Click
GEC and Siemens are related, I can't comment on suitability especially regarding model numbers. The vendor appears to be savvy about electronicalness so maybe could advise you.

BP :didact:
garythegolfer

Post by garythegolfer »

I believe the Siemens uniselectors were nominally about 24 volt whilst the GEC uniselectors were nominally about 50 volt. So they are not really interchangeable except if you take the original coil windings off and replace them with the right number of turns of the correct and different diameter coil wire. This is what I have done in desperation a couple of posts above.

Regards
G
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Good point, of course we don't know the voltage Mr P's machine is feeding on nor if there is a resistor in line.

Edited to point out to myself that even if there were one it wouldn't control voltage - fool. !PUZZLED!