Bell-Fruit Gum Company: Fact or Fiction?

General vintage slot machine related topics.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bell-Fruit Gum Company: Fact or Fiction?

Post by pennymachines »

And on this 1910 Mills Novelty Liberty Bell (sold by Morphy Auctions, Jan 29 2017) they cost 5 cents a package.

The catalogue says, "Mills Novelty Co. manufactured this combination slot machine and gum vendor in 1910", but as I see no vendor mechanism, I assume the description is wrong and the package was handed over the counter on request.

Again, I've yet to see an original packet of Liberty Bell Gum Fruit. Presumably you got a selection of all the flavours represented on the award card.
Attachments
LibertyBell.jpg
quadibloc

Post by quadibloc »

In the very early Mills machines with a spearmint leaf symbol, that symbol was later replaced by the cherries, not the bar or the bell. The reel strips of that kind had a bar, but the bar symbol was the blue stick of "Liberty Bell Gum-Fruit" instead of "Bell-Fruit Gum" as on their later machines with fruit symbols, so that variation of the name was on the reel strips, not just the case.

As for Zeno, the gum company, it eventually started making a slot machine-like device, which neither took nor dispensed coins, in the late 1940s, as one way to avoid some of the gambling laws.

I haven't been able to find an image of even a reproduction of a Bell-Fruit-Gum or Liberty Bell Gum Fruit wrapper, but on page 108 of the fourth edition of Slot Machines: A Pictorial History of the First 100 Years there is a reproduction of an advertisement by the Mills Novelty Company inviting slot machine purchasers to also purchase a supply of Liberty Bell Fruit Gum along with their machines. Also, there are reproduction mint wrappers sold for Pace and Watling machines. Hence, I'm inclined to believe that Liberty Bell Gum Fruit or Bell Fruit Gum did have a real existence for some time, starting in 1910, and ending some time before 1951, perhaps a long time before.
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

coppinpr wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:43 pm
Arrgee wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:29 am The mind boggles OP......dancing to Simon Says whilst having sex !!!
It would only take a few minor changes to the lyrics !OMFG!
The first time I heard the song was indeed in 1968 at the Station Café opposite the rail station in Eastleigh. I was 16 years old and played a Bally Gold Award (2 pulls for 6d) machine and won several gold tokens. I bought several 20 packs of "Senior Service" cigarettes and sold them to one of my neighbours even though I did not have a licence to sell tobacco! !!IDEA!! Every time I hear that song I recall those 7s and beer mugs bouncing to a stop in time with the music.
ecfinn

Post by ecfinn »

Before looking into the origin of the “bar” symbol, I assumed that it was used the way it’s used by ranchers, especially given that slot machines are linked to the old west. Ranch names like “S bar K Ranch” are referring to the ranch’s brand, which would look like “S-K” on the animal. Basically, the word “bar” is a spelled out symbol. I had assumed the slot machine “bar” was just the inventor needing another symbol and using one that was common. I think this makes a lot more sense than this bizarre gum company theory. Thanks for posting this because it does seem to be one of those dubious, circular theories that are so frustratingly prevalent on the internet.