General vintage slot machine related topics.
User avatar
arrgee
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:56 am
Location: North Wiltshire

Re: Bell-Fruit Gum Company: Fact or Fiction?

Postby arrgee » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:29 am

Operator Bell wrote:I remember dancing to it at "The Ship" disco in Dymchurch the night I had sex for the first time with the girl who became my wife
The mind boggles OP......dancing to Simon Says whilst having sex !!! :o !OMFG!

User avatar
badpenny
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5977
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 12:41 pm
Location: East Midlands
Contact:

Re: Bell-Fruit Gum Company: Fact or Fiction?

Postby badpenny » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:20 pm

Arrgee wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:29 am
The mind boggles OP......dancing to Simon Says whilst having sex !!!
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous. :#:

User avatar
coppinpr
Posts: 3730
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:01 pm
Location: Lewes, East Sussex
Contact:

Re: Bell-Fruit Gum Company: Fact or Fiction?

Postby coppinpr » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:43 pm

Arrgee wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:29 am
The mind boggles OP......dancing to Simon Says whilst having sex !!!
It would only take a few minor changes to the lyrics !OMFG!

User avatar
pennymachines
Site Admin
Posts: 4678
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:12 am
Location: The Black Country
Contact:

Re: Bell-Fruit Gum Company: Fact or Fiction?

Postby pennymachines » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:48 pm



Now I see who my drummer nephew gets his groovy dress sense from.

13rebel
Posts: 456
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: Bell-Fruit Gum Company: Fact or Fiction?

Postby 13rebel » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:22 pm

Now I know why I liked Rocksteady music from around the same era. !!ESCAPE!!

User avatar
coppinpr
Posts: 3730
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:01 pm
Location: Lewes, East Sussex
Contact:

Re: Bell-Fruit Gum Company: Fact or Fiction?

Postby coppinpr » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:22 am

I found this in a chronology of US gaming produced by a college in the US. A bit ambiguous but a little more info never hurts and it does touch on the use of "lemons" on reel strips.
1915- Slot machines were camouflaged to circumvent anti-gambling laws (continuing unti11955). The slots were camouflaged, disguised, and equipped with "skill-stops" which continues even today. The machines were designed to vend gum, mints, candy, cigarettes, etc. with every pull of the handle. The gum being dispensed was obtained from the Chicle Company and incorporated a special label along with flavors that the company had trouble selling to other buyers: these flavors were orange, cherry, plum, etc. Today, fruit and bar symbols on slot machines evolved from Fey's early machines equipped with Chicklets. Furthermore, lemons on the early machines indicated it was rigged, thus the connotation of lemons meaning "no good."

User avatar
pennymachines
Site Admin
Posts: 4678
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:12 am
Location: The Black Country
Contact:

Re: Bell-Fruit Gum Company: Fact or Fiction?

Postby pennymachines » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:38 pm

coppinpr wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:22 am
...a little more info never hurts
Not as long as it's accurate. This thread was about half-truths, heresay and myths, and your quote from A Chronology of (Legal) Gaming in the U.S., (George G. Fenich, School of Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism Administration, University of New Orleans) introduces several.

I've seen no evidence of "Fey's early machines equipped with chicklets", to which the author credits the evolution of the fruit symbols. Mills first Liberty Bell bandits incorporated Fey's horseshoe and playing card symbols, before they substituted them with fruit symbols, which they copyrighted in 1910 (deferring again to Dick Bueschell's meticulous research, p58 Lemon, Cherries & Bell-Fruit Gum).

It's not clear to me whether Mills very first "fruit machines" had apparatus for vending the Bell Fruit Gum, or whether it was to be paid over the counter trade-stimulator style (by request). Certainly their main purpose was disguise and gum vendors were incorporated by 1911, if not before. Mint vendors followed.

The statement, "lemons on the early machines indicated it was rigged" doesn't make much sense either. Lemons were lose symbols on the original Mills reel strips and, anyway, all fruit machines are rigged against the player. I dispatched his claim that this is why lemons came to mean 'no good' on page 2 of this thread.

Finally, "gum being dispensed was obtained from the Chicle Company" (presumably the American Chicle Company), sounds plausible as they were the major manufacturer, but I won't take the author's word for it. No doubt cheaper brands were available...

User avatar
coppinpr
Posts: 3730
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:01 pm
Location: Lewes, East Sussex
Contact:

Re: Bell-Fruit Gum Company: Fact or Fiction?

Postby coppinpr » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:14 pm

i did say it was ambiguous,
i have read elsewhere that the flavors used were those that did not sell well elsewhere, as you say the lemons thing makes no sense at all only in as much as its reiterates the "lemons=something that is no good" the reference to the Chicle candy maker is interesting,they were the biggest gum makers in US and would have made gum in many grades.the large volume of gum needed for machines would have been attractive to them for sure. ,I believe they were eventually absorbed into several companies ending up as part of Cadburys (who I think are now part of Hersheys)
I copied it in its entirety because it would be more miss leading to edit it down to the bits that COULD be correct.
half truths and editing a piece down are indeed miss leading ,for example your quote "a little more info never hurts" .It would have described what I posted better if you had quoted the full section "a bit ambiguous but a little more info never hurts" :lol:

User avatar
pennymachines
Site Admin
Posts: 4678
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:12 am
Location: The Black Country
Contact:

Re: Bell-Fruit Gum Company: Fact or Fiction?

Postby pennymachines » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:25 pm

coppinpr wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:14 pm
I have read elsewhere that the flavors used were those that did not sell well elsewhere
That was my point really. It doesn't matter how many times you read something, unless backed by evidence, be it oral history, a contemporary letter, etc. it doesn't become fact.

It's only trivia, so of course it doesn't hurt, but it amused me that, in a single paragraph, the author smuggled in no less than six made-up factoids of the kind we were discussing:
It was 1910 or earlier (not 1915),
Fey bandits didn't vend chicklets,
'The Chicle Company' didn't exist - The American Chicle Company did,
Mills not Fey introduced the fruit symbols,
Lemons didn't signify a rigged game,
'Lemon' already meant 'no good'.

User avatar
brigham
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:37 pm

Re: Bell-Fruit Gum Company: Fact or Fiction?

Postby brigham » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:29 am

An interesting observation: Although the Mills symbols of 1910 include 'Bell Fruit Gum', the actual Mills gum, and the machines dispensing it, are called 'Liberty Bell Gum Fruit'.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests