Were electric shockers banned?

General vintage slot machine related topics.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Were electric shockers banned?

Post by pennymachines »

I know coin-op lung testers were made illegal when it was realized they were probably spreading tuberculosis and I've always assumed electric shock machines were banned at some point too. Does anyone know if this was the case, and if so, when? Obviously public liability would dissuade anyone from operating them today, especially with the prevalence of pacemakers, etc.
13rebel

Re: Were electric shockers banned?

Post by 13rebel »

Good question. My understanding is that when electric lighting in the home became the norm in around 1920 and was not very reliable to say the least it was discovered that an electric shock wasn't so good for you after all, as the manufacturers of shock machines had claimed. Further developments of not very safe electric gadgetry enhanced this fear and despite a shock from slot machines was not of the same magnitude as the mains supply,players were now less inclined to play the machines. I guess they just fell out of fashion but I too would like to know if they were ever officially banned as were the lung testers. I find them a great part of coin op history.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I would find it strange if they were banned as you can still buy modern electric shock games today that all the family play, and I know I have played on one and the shock is the same as my electric shock machine.
https://www.geniegadgets.com/lightning- ... 0wodvLsEeg
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

The local penny arcade in Echuca has a couple still in operation but would be interesting to know the legality as I have one on the way at the moment.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I believe I've seen "Electric Chairs" in arcades where you wind up the power and see how much you can take.

I'd be surprised if they were ever banned, I'd guess they just fell out of favour as electrickery became more common place and not such a novelty. :!:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I think the electric chairs (like those made by Nova Productions in the UK) simulate electric shocks. The handles contain a variable-speed servo motor attached to an off-centre weight which causes them to vibrate at high speed. Perhaps the risk of low current shocks to pacemakers etc. is overstated but even if there's no regulation against them, the risk of being sued would surely discourage their use. I know you can buy domestic shockers, like the Lightning Reaction Electric Shock Game, TENS machines and the ones for poking into unmentionable orifices, but that's a different matter.