Sega mechanical slot machine

General vintage slot machine related topics.
treefrog

Re: Sega mechanical slot machine

Post by treefrog »

You sent me a private pm, I will not commit to being able to help on parts as I genuinely have no idea where things are as I thought I had on old Windsor I had broken up, gods knows where they are though....

I will ping you details of a man who has broken hundreds of them up and is likely to have the parts you need
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Hi
Thanks for that
Seancalla
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

You could always replace your one transformer with more than one transformer. 6V trannies are easy and cheap, and all it does is run the lights, so a 6V 1A will do you. As for the other, look for a 50V with center tap, or 25-0-25, which you should find at Farnell. One end to the center is 25V, one end to the other is 50V, which are near enough for this job.

A possible cause of the transformer damage would be if a large solenoid got stuck and wouldn't pull right in. AC solenoids take vastly more current when they're open, then as the armature closes the current drops off considerably. That would surely overheat the transformer. The fuse will be rated for the initial large current, so very likely it wouldn't blow and do its job of protecting the transformer. It's a general caution to be careful with AC solenoids and never, ever, operate one without the armature in place.
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Thanks for the tip, would joining up the two 25vac's to give 50 affect the 25-0 tap?
regards
seancalla
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

No, it won't. You get 25V between one end and the middle, and 50V between the same one end and the other.

Without actually being there and looking at the wiring, I'm not able to give you specific advice, but you can trace it off the old transformer. The 25 and 50 volt circuits will have a common connection, which will be one of the transformer terminals. That will probably also be a common for the 6V circuit, and (if it was wired properly) earth.

I took a quick look on Farnell for you and suggest this one -
http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/vtx-146 ... dp/1675074
At 120VA it may be overkill, but it isn't much more expensive than the next smaller one and it will certainly do the job. Blue and Brown are the mains input. Black will be common, connect Red and Orange for the 25V output, and Yellow is the 50V output.
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Hi
Thanks for the tip. I will get one and update all when I get it wired up
Seancalla
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Hi
Sorry for the questions.....
.but trying to figure out in my head how the yellow on its own which is 25vac will supply 50vac when the orange and red are connected together and using the remaining Wrexham as common
Seancalla
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

The yellow produces 25V with respect to the orange, and the red produces 25V with respect to the black (common). So when you connect the orange and the red, you get 50V between the yellow and the black, and 25V between the orange/red and the black.
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Thanks.
I see now what you mean.
Regards,
Seancalla
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

When in doubt, it's always safest to ask.
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Hi
Just another question. The existing transformer has two 53 volt taps which are wired to a rectifier circuit consisting oftwo silicon diodes. I presume these are in two phases. Just wondering how I would wire up the new transformer which will have one 50 volt tap.
Regards
Seancalla