Inherited challenge

General vintage slot machine related topics.
thunderbird1

Inherited challenge

Post by thunderbird1 »

Hi Everyone, I have just been given this bandit to play with :!: I found out that it is called a Bollands. I also found out that woodworm do not like compressed air blown up their holes, they fly out like champagne corks :shock: I thought I had better deal with them first before taking it inside & it looks like I will be needing some parts in the next few weeks.
Any advice is welcomed !WORSHIPFULL!
Attachments
011.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
003.JPG
006.JPG
coppinpr

Re: Inherited challenge

Post by coppinpr »

Hi, and welcome to the best slot forum in the world. Is this your first machine? If it is then the bad news is it won't be your last. Once you start down the slot machine road it's hard to turn aside.

The good news is these are pretty much indestructible and any help you need will be given freely and quickly on this site.
Questions that might help us help you are:

Is the wooden case salvageable or will you need to cut a new one?
Are there any obvious pieces missing?
Can we see more photos of the mech., close up and from all angles so we can advise.

If it was me, I'd clean the mech and get it working first then worry about the case. Have you any experience with slot machine mechs? The mech is probably an old Mills mech re-used by Tom Bolland. Bolland didn't make new machines as much as put old mechs in new or re-furbished cases. Prts for these mechs are readily available.

Just to encourage you, here is what it could look like:
Attachments
black beauty brooklands.jpg
sutton

Post by sutton »

I like the idea about blowing compressed air down the woodworm holes I shall give it a try. by the way welcome to the Forum. !!ESCAPE!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME: Thunderbird1!
That's quite an ambitious first project, but fortunately, as Coppin says, parts are available for these. The bandit gurus will answer specific queries and I'll do the nitpicking, to wit: your machine's not called a Bollands, nor was it made by Tom Bolland. I'll say no more. ;-)

See: Boland Black Beauty, Screen Stars, Brooklands, White City...
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

As Mr P. says he will do the nitpicking, only one "l" in Boland :tut