UK Border Force

General vintage slot machine related topics.
safetyman1005

UK Border Force

Post by safetyman1005 »

I recently purchased an ABT Challenger pistol from eBay America.
1925ArcadeGun1.jpg

When it never arrived I contacted the Post Office and Customs & Excise, both said it was not in the hands.

I received a letter today from UK Border Force stating that it had been seized as a 'Realistic Imitation Firearm'

Reason being 'The item was not described accurately by the sender on a written declaration accompanying the parcel.

As I had one of these sent in the past with no problems (the sender put a photo of Challenger machine pointing out the pistol), I contacted seller to see if he had done the same, no reply so I can assume hid did not.

If I want to appeal the Border Force decision, I will have to go to the Magistrates Court, which will cost me more money. They also said my chances of winning is very low.

The moral of this story is, ask the seller to enclose the proper documentation if only a photo of item in situ.

The good news is I received a full refund from eBay, the bad news I would have preferred the item.
treefrog

Re: UK Border Force

Post by treefrog »

That's a bummer, but I can understand the paranoia.....probably will be crushed.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I've got a mate needing to order a timer for his video game "Atomic Bomb" I guess I should advise him eh? ;-)
safetyman1005

Post by safetyman1005 »

A WARNING TO OTHERS

UK border.jpg

9 months on from the UK Border Force confiscating my ABT gun, I had a police officer knock on my door this morning

police 2.jpg
police 2.jpg (10.44 KiB) Viewed 4819 times

He explained to me that it was illegal to import imitation fire arms.
I explained it was not a fire arm but an amusement machine part and showed him my collection (which he loved!!)
He could understand my plight, but said it was illegal and not to do it again.

I've probably got a marker on me as a gun runner now!!!!!

Brian T
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

12 months later - good to see your cops are swift in dealing with international arms dealers.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

"UK Border Force?" How is it we don't have a BORDER FORCE here in America? All we're going to get is some stupid wall between us and Mexico, and maybe Canada. But a BORDER FORCE, now that is a real deterrent. We could deputize all the citizens of the BORDER STATES and give guns to the few who don't already have their own arsenal. Thanks for the idea, Safetyman.

J Peterson
BORDER FORCE Commander, USA. !!BANGBANG!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

If the rest of the world chips in can we extend the wall up and down the east and west coasts? Although, of course we would want a set of keys for our side. You can slip over to our side JP, before we lock the gates.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Since Dunblane back in the 90s handguns are illegal for the public.

Imitation and BB are considered real if you wave one around in public.
If you are lucky you'll go to prison, if you aren't you get shot.

In my understanding that is the line.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

downunder wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:05 pmI watched the latest reincarnation of Tomb Raider recently, and saw that the UK had hock shop full of handguns, with Lara selecting two as easy as.
I can only assume this was "poetic licence" as it has not been possible for the general public to buy guns from any shop other than a licensed gun shop (of which there are VERY few) since 1920. As BP says, rifles and hand guns were totally band in the '90s (even target shooting club members can't usually get a private licence).

The odd exception is of course the shot gun. For some reason that probably goes back the days of upper class rule it is not that hard to get a shotgun licence AND keep it at home. (It's still not a formality to get a licence, which takes time and the police will come to your home to inspect your gun safe).
LEGAL gun ownership in the UK is about 1.4 million shotguns and about 300,000 rifles and handguns = 1.7 million guns (about 5% of the population has a gun at home, all of them shotguns). The USA gun ownership is over 300 million (101% of the population has a gun at home, almost all of them hand guns :lol: )