Removal of the pin in the trigger hammer

General vintage slot machine related topics.
alan57

Removal of the pin in the trigger hammer

Post by alan57 »

Been trying to remove the pin in the trigger hammer of a Bryan's Elevenses today, the bloody thing stuck fast and won't budge, as I don't want to shear the pin in the hammer, just wanted to know, does anyone know if the pin is screwed in or just tapped in. Soaked it in WD40, so hopefully should make it easier to remove. Not too sure of the reason why the pin is the length it is.
Also can a rusty track be cleaned? I was thinking of taking the track off and cleaning it with a wire wheel or will this cause more damage to the track? Has anyone done this with some success?
Attachments
hammera.jpg
livinginthepast

Re: Removal of the pin in the trigger hammer

Post by livinginthepast »

Check the pin diameter both ends to see if a taper pin is fitted.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Tapered yes. Try a decent set of mole grips and hit the grips in the way the pin comes out. :byee:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Several things spring to my mind .....

When a pin is put through two parts in order to bond them so they move as one. It is best to go for a tapered hole/pin otherwise you will get a fraction of play in both directions as the internal diameter of the 'ole takes up the slack between itself and the outer diameter of the pin.
So: -
The pin may be tapered, so if you're knocking it the wrong way you might only be tightening it
The pin may not be tapered, but slightly bent which would have the same effect.

I suggest you cut the pin off flush with the shank and the drill the remainder out. Then replace it with one that is as close to new hole as you can. Before fitting it put the slightest of kinks in the middle of it. Then when you hammer it in it'll grip.

Attacking the track with a wire brush is likely to also remove any suspect chrome and you could end up with a worse finish, unless you're going to re-plate in which case take it to the platers as is and let them do it.

I've had a modicum of success with nylon polish brushes like these .....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20pc-3mm-Nyl ... SwZlZaCXRB

They come in different hardness and aren't so aggressive as wire brushes.

BP

whilst wording this livinginthepast & jimmycowman beat me to it.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Thanks for your advice.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

You'll find 6 pages of musing about what to do with a stuck taper pin here: Wonders Win & Place allwin. :o
By the way, on the Elevenses it shouldn't be a taper pin - probably why it's stuck. Replace it with a split pin of suitable gauge to fit the hole. The hammer arm clamps to the shaft by means of thightening the nut.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

alan57 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:00 pm
Also can a rusty track be cleaned?, was thinking of taking the track off and cleaning it with a wire wheel or will this cause more damage to the track, has anyone done this with some successhammer.jpg
It depends on how rusty it is. I have polished track with some rust using Autosol, which is brilliant for chrome, and achieved satisfactory results.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

This is a section of the track, the rest is the same condition.
Attachments
track2a.jpg
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Oh. Looks like a re chrome. Shame. The internal chrome usually survives quite well, protected by the glass. I have a machine waiting for restoration with track in the same state as yours. I will be interested to see how you get on.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I've had several of these tracks rechromed and still have the machines in my collection and are used daily and still look as good as the day they were chromed.