Import duty, shipping costs, etc. from USA

General vintage slot machine related topics.
bamsefar1

Re: Import duties when buying from US?

Post by bamsefar1 »

I bought a Seiko wristwatch from a US netshop two weeks ago. Arrived two days later, with no VAT or other expenses added. The cost of the watch was US$ 290 incl. postage costs, which was a bargain for me.

I understand by the postings above there should have been expenses added to my import. So it seems a bit random :!:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Don't you find that life is random in general? !!UHOH!!
You pay your penny and pull the handle, where the reels stop on the whole is unpredictable, except that there will always be a fair sprinkling of lemons. :#:
How many times I wonder do we pass somebody in the street who only a few moments later has something life affecting happen to them, nobody saw it coming and it could just as easily have been you rather than them. :NBG:
'!'
mervyngoodhew

Post by mervyngoodhew »

I just brought a payphone from America costing £500. I had to pay £100 customs charge.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

You don't think they were making reverse charge calls :burp:
markymark

Has anyone bought from an American Auction House on Line?

Post by markymark »

Topic merged - site admin.

Just wondered if anyone here has experience of importing a slot machine purchase from America (to the UK). How much does it cost, is it safe buying from on line Auction Houses (not necessarily Ebay in States), and is it worth the hassle? Your own experiences, or other collectors you know would really be of use to me.

Thanks
jra

Re: Has anyone bought from an American Auction House on Line

Post by jra »

Hello Markymark,
I have bought about 20-25 machines from the States over the last couple of years and never had a problem.
Postage varies from £30 to £150 depending on size and weight. The killer is the VAT@ 20% on top of the purchase price and on top of that Parcelforce charge £8 handling fee. So a machine that seems fair price once you have done the conversion from $ to £s by the time you add all the extras they do not seem such good value. I hope this answers some of your concerns.
Regards, JRA.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I've bought small trade stims from the US at very low cost and postage and sometimes they slip in without the VAT. It's just your luck really.
doofus

Post by doofus »

I've had no problem with US Ebay sellers, mainly because I can establish postage charge very accurately and the pictures show condition well enough, especially if you ask for more. The big auction houses like Morphy and Julia are a different matter. I've found their descriptions are often way off and the post and packing charges can be horrible. When you add commission, then it makes you wonder if it's worth it. Like the guys say, customs charges are a matter of luck, but some sellers will use the "Gift, value $100" trick that can tip the odds in your favour. Others make you feel like a criminal (which I guess you are !!UHOH!! ) for asking.
markymark

Post by markymark »

Thanks guys, really appreciate your experiences.
I guess if it's a machine that you just can't get here, then it's probably worth the extra.
If anyone else has more experiences of going about buying from USA would love to hear those too.
Cheers.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

Bought a Jennings bandit there, cost $500 postage plus tax and VAT when it arrived. Also have bid live at the Vegas sale. I registered to bid, waited hours for the machine, then when I pressed to bid the computer had a fit and failed to bid. So not a good experience buying in the States.
markymark

Post by markymark »

I'm having trouble finding shippers for bringing stuff back from USA. Can anyone please give a few names of carriers that you have used yourselves... thanks.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

What you need is a friend in the US. It's always easier (but longer) to have the item sent to someone in the US then forwarded to you. That way you get best shipping prices and they know who to contact as regards to shippers. If the seller is willing to set up shipping, that works too, but you can fall down on costs that way. Someone on the forum may do it for you.
bandito

Post by bandito »

I just enquired to the cost of having a slot machine shipped from the USA to a Cardiff business address and here was the reply I just received.....
We usually ship machines in a steel drum, which gives them excellent protection, but it is a little more costly. It looks like shipping to your postal code would be $900, which would include insurance as well. It's possible we could get it shipped a little cheaper but not much more
Plus, of course, the import duty on top! !!COFFEE!!
An alternative would be to up sticks and go and live in the US of A !SHOOT! YE HA
bandito

Post by bandito »

To Markymark: at the moment on ebay USA there is a nice unrestored Mills Horse Head Bonus slot machine. The seller ships his machines in a steel drum. Take a look at his listing and see what he will charge you to ship this machine to the UK.
If you choke on your roast beef, or spill your tea all down your nice new shirt, I will understand.........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... ink:top:en

The item number is 120890875461
!!PARTY!!
markymark

Post by markymark »

Cough cough.. splutter, choke!!!!
So they want £800 - £900 to ship it... :HaHa:
May be cheaper for me to fly over and bring back... Mmmmm, what's the weight limit of hand luggage again!!!!!!!!!!
:HaHa: I have visions of me trying to wedge the damn thing in the overhead lockers.. HaHa!!!

PS. So no-one else on this entire forum ever dealt with a shipper, who can best advise me? Cheers.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I've only ever bought spares from the States.
However, I have shipped the other way.
I sold a Tura Bell and UPS came to my establishment, picked it up and were gone in minutes.
That was on a Friday.

The following Tuesday I got an email from the buyer in Long Beach Calif. confirming its safe arrival.

Now that impressed me .......... then again .......... people with a University Degree used to impress me. !!UHOH!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Horse's Head Bonus on ebay

Post by badpenny »

The listing complies with EBAY rules as HM Customs and Excise have classified this machine as a Collectors Piece of Historical Interest under Commodity code 970500090 - it has no Commercial use/value and is for private home entertainment only.

Well I've never heard of ........ Commodity code 970500090

Nor has Google.
Bullshit baffles brains?
treefrog

Re: Horse's Head Bonus on ebay

Post by treefrog »

I can't believe it will work with ebay, but interesting to see, as import licenses or course have nothing to do with gaming laws....the code does exist though:

http://tariff.businesslink.gov.uk/tarif ... e=22/04/12
bandito

Post by bandito »

To save you guys hundreds of pounds on import duty, you use this code and state that the machine you are importing is of "historical interest". You then only pay 5% import duty not 20%. I learned this the hard way after the first machine I imported. I paid 17.5% VAT. Last machine I bought, I used this code and only paid 5%. It is basically an import code which you can use on slot machines. Different goods have different codes. I learned this from the Nations Attic when I bought a machine from them. Also, I am sure if you buy anything outside of the UK and it is older than 100 years it is classed as an antique and exempt from duty. So some very early machine could get imported for duty free.......... Did you learn anything new today? !SMARTY!
bandito

Post by bandito »

This Horse Head Bonus machine was listed recently on ebay for a couple of hours max. The seller has restored this machine his or her self. I would like to see before pictures, as the person selling it has bought a few spare parts and may have used them on this machine. No problem with that, but I would like to see pictures of before its restoration. I think it is odd that the escalator sticks and the person selling it restores them??? !PUZZLED!