Import duty, shipping costs, etc. from USA

General vintage slot machine related topics.
stoxman22

Import duty, shipping costs, etc. from USA

Post by stoxman22 »

I want to buy an Allwin from the USA but the seller says that due to its weight it can only go DHL Air at a cost of $750. Has anyone got a way of organising a collection from the States from here in the UK at a more realistic cost?
Bent Copper

Post by Bent Copper »

Your seller is talking b*ll*cks.

The last time I had a machine sent from the States it cost me around $220 (just over £110). You can have it sent Surface for much less than that, but it takes about 6 weeks to get here.

I also had a Rol-A-Top sent over in a wooden crate by Fedex for $300 (about £150). I can't imagine that your Allwin weighs more than a Rol-A-Top!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Remember to include in your calculations the import duty you may be charged by Custom & Excise based on the declared value of the item when it arrives in the UK.

See also: https://www.out-law.com/page-6235

Note - you should only pay 5% duty on items imported from the US if they're over 50 years old.
mervyngoodhew

daylight robbery

Post by mervyngoodhew »

Topic merged - site admin.

I have just received some parts from the U.S.A. costing £50. I had to pay £8.50 customs duty and £8.00 to the Post Office for putting a sticker on saying I had to pay £8.50 duty - total £16.50. What a rip off!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: daylight robbery

Post by badpenny »

Welcome to the Rip-Off Club. I recently had to pay an identical amount for the privilege of receiving what in essence was an angled piece of mild steel and two coach bolts valued at about eight quid. As yours was worth forty two squids more I'd suggest you got the better deal there chap.

I've now decided that my lump of old steel is far too valuable to stick inside a tatty old slot and plan to have it mounted on a field of ermine and framed. !!SUICIDAL!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

It's a lucky dip. About 1 in 10 of my parcels over the years have been stopped. The other thing is whether the seller declares the goods at all. If not, you get a charge anyway. Also if they put a low value, below I think £26 or whatever (the value is in dollars), you will not get charged. Trouble is, some sellers either cannot be bothered or won't undervalue the item.

I had one two weeks ago, with some denominator buttons and an award card; the value was just over this limit with postage, but the seller had put the total I paid...... I was very tempted to leave it at the Post Office. It will cost the Post Office more, because they have to send it back if not collected. I wish I had, as the bits turned out to be a load of rubbish. :oops:
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

The Lucky Dip mainly applies to things sent by mail - if they're sent by a courier service like Federal Express or UPS, in my experience those services use a customs broker for everything and always get hit for duty and VAT. For regular mail there does indeed seem to be a threshold below which they don't bother. I sent a bunch of things to UK recently and packages valued at $50 or less got through, while people who bought several at once and had a value of $100 or more all got hit. It would seem that if you buy several items, it's cheaper to pay the extra postage and have them sent in separate packages.
malcy

Post by malcy »

Can you not get away with the good old writing 'gift' on the labels anymore to avoid customs charges?
Used to be the norm when I bought and sold from the States and I never got charged. I see now that many ebayers in the States are stating that they wont write 'gift'. I suppose it constitutes tax avoidance and big penalties for our US cousins.
bamsefar1

Import duties when buying from US?

Post by bamsefar1 »

Anybody know if there are import duties/VAT to answer for when importing an item for use from the US? !PUZZLED!
treefrog

Re: Import duties when buying from US?

Post by treefrog »

Yes, both Customs Duty and VAT. On top of that, the carrier often charge you the privilege for collecting these taxes. The % seems to vary, but around 5 or 6 % + VAT. Also they base this on the customs declaration form the sender is supposed to fill out. If the sender does not fill out the paperwork, it can turn out even worse and the custom team will decide on the value. This can be really annoying :evil:

I cannot remember the amount, but below a certain value (Maybe $75) it is exempt, but it is a lottery as to which packages they decide to pick on and not all deliveries get these charges. I would say 80% of my deliveries never get charged, but it also depends on what the sender writes down as the description of the goods and value... Some goods are supposed to be exempt, e.g. gold, paperwork and a few others, but you have to put the right code on the declaration forms (most sellers cannot be bothered). In theory, you are supposed to be able to challenge the charge with the Customs Office, if you have worked out the rules and can be bothered. See complex HMRC guideline:
Valuation of imported goods for customs purposes, VAT and trade statistics
bamsefar1

Post by bamsefar1 »

I bought a Seiko wristwatch from a US netshop two weeks ago. Arrived two days later, with no VAT or other expenses added. The cost of the watch was US$ 290 incl. postage costs, which was a bargain for me.

I understand by the postings above there should have been expenses added to my import. So it seems a bit random :!:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Don't you find that life is random in general? !!UHOH!!
You pay your penny and pull the handle, where the reels stop on the whole is unpredictable, except that there will always be a fair sprinkling of lemons. :#:
How many times I wonder do we pass somebody in the street who only a few moments later has something life affecting happen to them, nobody saw it coming and it could just as easily have been you rather than them. :NBG:
'!'
mervyngoodhew

Post by mervyngoodhew »

I just brought a payphone from America costing £500. I had to pay £100 customs charge.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

You don't think they were making reverse charge calls :burp:
markymark

Has anyone bought from an American Auction House on Line?

Post by markymark »

Just wondered if anyone here has experience of importing a slot machine purchase from America (to the UK). How much does it cost, is it safe buying from on line Auction Houses (not necessarily Ebay in States), and is it worth the hassle? Your own experiences, or other collectors you know would really be of use to me.

Thanks
jra

Re: Has anyone bought from an American Auction House on Line

Post by jra »

Hello Markymark,
I have bought about 20-25 machines from the States over the last couple of years and never had a problem.
Postage varies from £30 to £150 depending on size and weight. The killer is the VAT@ 20% on top of the purchase price and on top of that Parcelforce charge £8 handling fee. So a machine that seems fair price once you have done the conversion from $ to £s by the time you add all the extras they do not seem such good value. I hope this answers some of your concerns.
Regards, JRA.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I've bought small trade stims from the US at very low cost and postage and sometimes they slip in without the VAT. It's just your luck really.
doofus

Post by doofus »

I've had no problem with US Ebay sellers, mainly because I can establish postage charge very accurately and the pictures show condition well enough, especially if you ask for more. The big auction houses like Morphy and Julia are a different matter. I've found their descriptions are often way off and the post and packing charges can be horrible. When you add commission, then it makes you wonder if it's worth it. Like the guys say, customs charges are a matter of luck, but some sellers will use the "Gift, value $100" trick that can tip the odds in your favour. Others make you feel like a criminal (which I guess you are !!UHOH!! ) for asking.
markymark

Post by markymark »

Thanks guys, really appreciate your experiences.
I guess if it's a machine that you just can't get here, then it's probably worth the extra.
If anyone else has more experiences of going about buying from USA would love to hear those too.
Cheers.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

Bought a Jennings bandit there, cost $500 postage plus tax and VAT when it arrived. Also have bid live at the Vegas sale. I registered to bid, waited hours for the machine, then when I pressed to bid the computer had a fit and failed to bid. So not a good experience buying in the States.