Import duty, shipping costs, etc. from USA

General vintage slot machine related topics.
markymark

Re: Horse's Head Bonus on ebay

Post by markymark »

I agree with Bandito... The seller makes a big deal of telling us that the escalator sticks, but is a simple fix!!! Yet here's a guy who's restored the whole thing, replaced parts.. and instead of saying "escalator sticks, but I don't have a clue why" he tells us its a "Simple Fix", which means he knows why it's sticking, surely!!!!! Otherwise, how would he know it's a "Simple Fix"!! :lol:
If it is so simple to fix, why did he not just fix it himself, then he wouldn't have to mention it when trying to sell it, which may help him get the 2 grand he wants... Strange people!!!!!!
(Nice machine though!!!! :D )
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Horse's Head Bonus on ebay

Post by badpenny »

I couldn't find it yet ... there it is.

You are, of course, right TF. It's meaningless. So far as Gaming Commission and eBay are concerned, it merely refers to import duty.
What are the odds of others following suit with such drivel?

Edited 10 seconds after I posted, in order to make it resemble The Queen's English and not the garbage that passes for it in my head.
marktol

Rant about customs fees!

Post by marktol »

Topics merged Forum Moderator

So I've ordered 14 award card bolts and a set of reel strips from Mr Slot in the US - total cost £25. It's arrived today along with an £8 handling fee from Royal Mail and £3.32 customs!

This makes them some pretty darn expensive parts for my machine and very frustrating. I've recently had several other bits of similar value from ebay in the USA and not been charged at all!

Rant over !!RANT!!
jimmy55

Re: Rant about customs fees!

Post by jimmy55 »

Not sure whether it's true, but a postman friend told me that they run packages through a huge machine and look through a window and if 3 cherries come up they charge the customer X% of the value of the goods :!?!:
coppinpr

Re: Rant about customs fee's...!

Post by coppinpr »

Make copies of the reel strips and cards and sell on ebay UK, you will make a profit, fees and all !!IDEA!!
giles_gunning

Post by giles_gunning »

With this topic being merged I've seen Bent Copper's post about his shipping cost for a Rol-a-top. Could anyone who's shipped from the US share the details of how they did this. i.e. carrier, packaging type, weight, dimensions, etc.
raj

Re: Rant about customs fee's...!

Post by raj »

I want to buy an Allwin from the USA but the seller says that due to its weight it can only go DHL Air at a cost of $750
The quote from the earlier listing is total crap, the seller obviously couldn't be bothered to print an extra piece of paper for customs. If the allwin has to boxed up for transport anyway, air freight is no different.
I've just sent a Bryans Clock by air, collected yesterday lunchtime, will be delivered in Ohio TOMORROW for £111 including £1000 insurance. Try Transglobal Express for a best quote, they have just started import quotes, but I've not had chance to use it yet.
One the other hand, I tried to import a tired 10 cup which cost me $200 and the seller could not get a price under $200 carriage, plus 20% VAT on the selling fee AND carriage from UK customs, so I lost the will to live by the end, and it went to a US buyer.
I'm waiting for a parcel from Mr Slot, so may end up with a bill also.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Raj, the topic you're responding to is 5 years old. This may have not been the best merged topic, as there are a number of others that have gone on over the years covering high cost Custom fees and their ability to print money... I think Jimmy55 got it right in terms of being a lottery whether they pick up your item at all, to what they charge. It is supposed to be added value tax, but often I have had customs ignoring the import details and making up their own values.... Marktol, it don't sound like your charges are that high to be honest... I have had a lot worse... One of these days, I will challenge the fee in terms of the amount against the actual value of goods... Problem is, we are doomed if we challenge, as the goods are probably illegal if slot related anyway....
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I think my laptop is running slow, when I searched the topics for merging my dinner had left the kitchen and I decided it safer to concentrate on complimenting that rather than fiddling with Pennymachines.
When I got back to it half an hour later Importing from USA was the only one showing. I thought there were others but was also trying to negotiate a bowl of ice cream.
Do me a favour Tom and identify them for me then I'll re-do it.
It would be good to be up to date with HMRC tactics.
I still thank it's quite random which incoming packages get levied, I've imported a few things this year, nothing so big as a machine but still quite large, and have avoided the lottery each time.

Badpenny
treefrog

Re: Importing from the USA

Post by treefrog »

Mmmm, now I have searched, I too have not found many topics, but thought there were loads,

Five more threads rounded up and merged - site admin.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Importing & shipping from the USA

Post by badpenny »

I wasn't quick enough to stop pissing about with that computer, so no ice cream for me! :#:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

treefrog wrote:One of these days, I will challenge the fee in terms of the amount against the actual value of goods... Problem is, we are doomed if we challenge, as the goods are probably illegal if slot related anyway....
It's not illegal to buy slot machines in the UK and, if you're importing from the States, the seller isn't infringing any British regulations either. If the tax is wrongly calculated, you're entitled to challenge it. You should get a refund if you paid up front to release the goods.
silverbitz

Re: Import duty, shipping costs, etc. from USA

Post by silverbitz »

I seem to remember a thread regarding import duties etc. There was a 'duty code' mentioned reducing 20% to 5%. I tried it and it worked on a rather expensive machine from the States. People mention various delivery companies but I've found Fedex is superb. The clue is to get an account with them as I have found it considerably cheaper than 'sellers' quotes directly from Fedex in the U.S.
spintop

Post by spintop »

Bought a Hidden Treasure Bryans machine from the States a number of years ago when the exchange rate was really good. It came in a large wooden crate made by the seller and, if I remember, it was shipped by Fedex. Paid £700 in all with post. I did have help from the seller and paid no extra in total !! it all worked ok and Sold it on a few months later.

There was another allwin type European-made very ornate machine with a real fancy carved door and i remember some gold metal ringed small flower in the corners of the playfield ,it was from the early 1900s or a just a bit later , I bought it from the States and after a few months i put it on ebay and it sold for £1300 which was more than i first thought i would get due to the machine not being in the best of condition needing restoration both internally and externally, when the buyer collected and told me in the past he was going to buy one the same for up to £2000 but got outbid in a french auction , he was very happy with the machine he bought from me , i guess the restoration may have put some collectors off but not him , i saw the same type of machine in a french machine book once and then guess what sold that book on ebay as well so dont remember the name now , i did have some photos of it on a old computer of mine so if there still on it and i can find them i will try and add photos to this post , never seen the same machine for sale anywhere before or since and was told by a foreign collector at the time it was on ebay it was rare with only a small number still known to exist. , very good profit but sometimes i wish I had kept it and got it restored some how myself but was told the grey looking internal castings inside are hard to restore once broken which i was told then by a known french collector who wrote books on french slot machines as well
Last edited by spintop on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Spintop,

These stories are great. They would be even better if you could provide a picture or two or at least the name (if there was one) of the machine in question! CoNgRaTs
clubconsoles

Shipping Mills slot from States

Post by clubconsoles »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Happy Christmas to All!
What's the cheapest way to ship a bandit from the States?
Any recommendations of shipping companies to use?
I have always used Fed ex at around the $500 a time to box and ship.
Just had a quote of $925 for shipping alone. :shock:
The seller is going to double box for $50 which I think very reasonable!
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

Went for fedex in the end.
BUT, as posted in the thread earlier, it makes a HUGE difference if you set up an account with them here in the UK!
Seller in US got quote for $925 and i just booked it for £328 through my fed ex account.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well done, I had to pay the full price when doing the other way around, but was slightly constrained as did through an auction house.

Worth considering for future. For me the packing is critical and the packing firm I had used did an amazing job, they then shipped through fedex. Would be good to hear outcome of fedex packing service....

Do we get to hear what Beauty you have bought :cool:
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

yes of Course treefrog.
I missed out on the two that went through the Elephant House recently, was the under bidder on the cheaper of the two :!?!: :-(
A trusted seller on eBay, I bought a Jennings of him in 2006 via fed ex and that turned up well packed!
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Lovely machine, I hope it comes without the carpet. :o