BAC Medicine Vending Machine

General vintage slot machine related topics.
bob

BAC Medicine Vending Machine

Post by bob »

On holiday last week I came across a machine in a country town antique store which imports quite a bit of its stock from the UK. I have never come across such a machine before and thought forum members might be interested in it. This was a British Automatic Company 6d vending machine about 9 inches wide and 18 inches tall selling chemist shop type items. The only one legible in the photo I'm afraid is Cascara a popular laxative in earlier times. Also not very clear in the photo is the logo at the top of the machine of the large British vending machine company (BAC) which had chocolate vending machines at many if not most British railway machines in the first half of the 20th century. These were mostly large floor standing machines and I have never come across a small counter top vending machine of theirs before.
Attachments
IMG_9209.JPG
Last edited by bob on Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonesthegarage

Re: BAC Medicine Vending Machine

Post by jonesthegarage »

There was something very similar on ebay last year and I formed the opinion it was probably originally sited in a hotel foyer in the way that stamp and even postcard vendors were.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

This one appeared on ebay in 2012, I quite like them. As with their 'platform' machines, the unit was rented to the shop/operator.
These units were owned by the Allied Chemical Co Ltd who were a subsidiary of the British Automatic Co Ltd.
Attachments
BAC vendor.jpg
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

I bought one off eBay a little while ago. Was surprised how small it was. Mine unfortunately doesn't have the script in the glass. Now trying to collect the small tins that would have originally gone inside to vend.
coppinpr

nice medicine(?) vendor

Post by coppinpr »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

I like this BAC vending machine being offered by the same ebay seller as the Transatlantic steer a coin. Interesting that the plate says the Allied chemical Co was a subsidiary of BAC!
It's got all the cures you could ever need, stomach upset, bleeding, headache, indigestion and... of course... a laxative. :lol:
"For the convenience of visitors" if indeed it was at a railway station as it says, where would it have got most visitors? In the Gents, the waiting room, or more likely in the '40s/'50s, in the buffet. !!COOEE!!
Attachments
meds vendor.jpg
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

One of my favourite machines. I was thinking that the machine was designed to be in the more salubrious location. A hotel lobby perhaps. Rather than left unattended on a railway platform. Wouldn't take much to pop the locks on her and make off with the goodies as well as the money.

Dave
speedwell

Post by speedwell »

I like the look of those. Found a topic on ebay " Vending machines for theatre " and then followed it through : some very interesting machines ( I suspect somewhere here all has been discovered and there may be other threads, so apologies if repetition or already referred to ).
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Found a topic on ebay " Vending machines for theatre "
I wonder how many of us (including me) dived straight to Ebay to take a look :lol:
speedwell

Post by speedwell »

I hope you found the link I was looking at. one of the machines ( sold ) was under item" Vintage 25 Cent The Ole Medicine Man Coin Op Machine Operated Vending" and another " vintage column condom coin operated vending dispenser machine ". If you type in the ebay name mcoffeyanddonuts22 you get to his posts . BP would have a field day on these.....
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

What is a Co Ckring?
speedwell

Post by speedwell »

Ask any member.
badpenny
Forum Moderator