Late M. Harris Snr. Slot Machine Spares Sale 19/08/18

General vintage slot machine related topics.
treefrog

Re: Opportunity of the decade coming

Post by treefrog »

Thanks Jeremy and to the Harris family, they seemed pleased with the result and always difficult to know best way to handle such a sale but looked a success.

I stupidly found myself going in without my wish list which I had mislaid and stumbled around talking to people and not focusing on task in hand. I even recall talking to some guys about how rare Hi Top bumpers are as we were picking them up and showing the different versions only to realise I had not grabbed a single one myself....in fact I think this happened on most things....still I got few useful items and am sure there is a bundle I should have got.....

Many thanks, glad I went and hopefully we will see the stuff again in the future !!THUMBSX2!! !!THUMBSX2!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

tammy wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:48 pm I think the trouble with the forum lists is they is such a lot of past imfo (which is good) but makes it hard to follow were to find new comments editions etc.

To find latest additions, comments etc. in the Forum use the Active topics link, top left of page (or Latest link from main menu).

Events, like this sale, are also found in the Calendar.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Many thanks to one and all, everyone did well.
The Harris family behind the scenes brewing up bacon, grilling teas and coffees etc. The younger members running around fetching, carrying and relaying questions (all with one eye on their phones and their thumbs stabbing away).

There was a steady stream of customers during the 5 hours.

During the day we served a total of 87 of them, we sold nearly 5,000 items from a single denominator badge - 2 complete machines in kit form (which of course could have been counted as many hundreds of parts in their own right, but we count as 2).

Of the 14 machines that came third party 10 were sold, one that didn't was priced ambitiously because the owner didn't want to sell it :HaHa: So he went home happy. Such are the lengths our supporters will go to in order to support us.

One sterling collector having travelled a long distance (and being the second to arrive) practised his wide vocabulary when he realised he'd left the carefully written list of "Wants" he'd spent two months compiling. I of course had to go one better than that.
I remembered my list, and after popping my wants into a couple of bags I placed them to one side to answer some queries, after that I helped someone else to identify the correct doo hicky for their Dandelion Front Vendor before untangling my 18 year old dog who had decided to assist some poor chap by wrapping his lead around his legs. On my way back to respond to someone wanting to enquire about a machine I noticed a distinct lack of lumpy metal where I'd laid down my bag of treasures! No suggestion whatever of intentional purloining, a lot of us dozy old buggers were putting bags down while scrutinising some newly spotted gem, so it was easy to pick the wrong one up after. However lesson learnt, and sorry to those of you I promised to obtain stuff. I was too busy running the event (the number of machines I've missed at the auction, not even realising I've been portering the damn thing!)

As we were packing up to close, we discovered a whole stack of storage drawers that had been overlooked and placed underneath a rack of scaffolding, and even more surprising a complete set of internal skill levers, which I can only assume nobody had recognised.

Our initial reaction is to do this again next Summer, with a heavier accent on others having a trade table, it certainly paid off for today's.

We in turn still have some spares left to move out of Sheerness, plus we have a mass of components for escalators. So we need to sit down in the long Winter nights and start assembling more.

So now we look forward to the November Auction, I shall be posting more of this within the next day or two.

BP :cool:
watlingman

Post by watlingman »

thank you for taking 5 minutes out to show me the Caille greyhound machine of which I later purchased great looking item ready for a sympathetic fettle of which I think we could all do with from time to time! :D
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Well done BP and everyone else who helped it run smoothly. I for one would support the idea of running something similar again in the future.
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Many thanks to you Jeremy and of course the Harris family. I caught myself just standing and gazing a couple of times at the sheer volume of parts , it was overwhelming. Did manage to buy some things off my list though, thankyou again.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It's really good to hear the number of you who got what you needed and enjoyed the experience.

It certainly was astonishing to look at it all I agree. I think I'll always keep in mind the scene of a stack of old silver haired boys peering over the tops of their glasses at some obscure piece of bent metal for ages. Then scratching their heads before deciding that holding it in the air and peering at it from the other side might help in its identification.

cheeky

Post by cheeky »

For the sick, lame an injured, and others who couldn’t make it, are there any photo long shots of the venue and parts?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I took my camera, and had every intention of recording it all from every angle.
However to be perfectly honest, I put my camera down when I was asked the first question and from that moment on I was constantly kept busy.

I next picked it up to put it into my car!

junior

Post by junior »

Hi,
I unfortunately was one of the injured who couldn't walk let alone drive. Does anyone have any photos of the day? My wants list can probably keep for another year.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Sorry I didn't take any pictures.

I found the event quite surreal really... Personal circumstances had changed back and forth in the preceding two weeks and even the evening before as originally I had intended to take a table myself. I arranged to meet a friend prior to the event to swap some machines and parts, so the Derby location was excellent as midway and central for both of us.

Many thanks to all involved, as I got a few bits to complete or upgrade a few of my own machines and also bought a few award cards I'm sure I'll probably need sometime in the future, but didn't buy maybe as wide a selection of items as expected. Maybe just too much to take in.

Anyway very happy with the selective bits I bought, although like BP I left my item in a bag on a table when someone asked me a question on another item and forgot to pick it up again! So my Hitop 4 reeler is still missing an award card. It's all swings and roundabouts though!

Many thanks again for the opportunity, much appreciated.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Thanks anyway BP. Junior, we should have teamed up. If you could walk on your right leg and me with the left, just imagine what we could have achieved. !!IDEA!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

……… the Hokey Cokey? SkEpTiCaL
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

:lol:
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

I sold a Jennings mechanism I had on Ebay to a collector in Europe. He also bought a few other bits but I couldn't supply all the other items. Could you post the details of the Dutch dealer who bought the remaining parts left over from the sale. I can then pass his details onto my buyer to see if he can source from him.

May be useful for others in future to know the dealer's contact details too?

Thanks
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'll ask him if he wants to have his details announced.
dutchboy

Re: Late M. Harris Snr. Slot Machine Spares Sale 19/08/18

Post by dutchboy »

That would be interesting indeed. 👌
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Did you get a reply BP?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I got a reply asking if I had any more and a list of what he particularly wanted. Nothing else though.
I guess he has plans to meet his own needs.

The good news is we are still sitting on boxes of things he didn't want (mainly reel strips, slides and case bits & bobs).
Also after selling the house in Sheerness and moving the last of his family's chattels out more slot bits were discovered.

However Rapid Scaffolding is extremely busy and can not field any individual enquiries or requests. So we intend to run another event next Summer when most of the poles, boards etc will be out of the venue and propping up bits of Derbyshire.
Building on the success of this year's it will be in the form of the old "Rusty Nuts" days that we used to enjoy several years back.

It will be open to all collectors of clanky and thumpy mechanicals. You can come to peruse, have a table to sell your treasures or bring single items for us to sell for you.

Details in the New Year.

BP !!YABBADABBA!!
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Thanks for the update BP,

I posted earlier in the thread that I had initially picked up an award card at the sale only to then leave it later somewhere else. Well I'd like to thank the forum member
who has reunited me with said award card.