Forums and social media

General vintage slot machine related topics.
treefrog

Forums and social media

Post by treefrog »

It has been mentioned on here before, but I have always thought a forum like this for the hobby was a good way in debating and using as for future reference for information and research, but have noticed a trend in social media sites becoming more dominant, mainly Facebook, but I am sure there are others.

Having joined quite a few of the other social media sites for interest, I have noticed many members of this site using the social media sites more or now only rather than Pennymachines, including some well known prominent members who I shall not mention. I have yet to get why though as the quality of the information shared is generally poor from what I have seen and spread across many groups which is even more confusing.

Is it just because everyone has Facebook on their phones and it is easier as well as getting notifications of new posts....who knows, but it is a shame. As I say a number of these Facebook groups have been setup by known collectors and there seem no structure to it, certainly the information is not well setup for future use.

My 10c worth

:#:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Forums and social media

Post by badpenny »

I see what you're saying.
I think I see notifications from two of them on My Facebook, although I haven't accessed Facebook for years unless it's my cousin Bill Smith in Australia (perhaps you know him Gameswat he lives in Perth)

I think the main reason others may click on them regularly is simply because they hope machines will be offered for sale.

BP :cool:
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

It probably is just the fact that you get notifications and people tend to look at Facebook for other reasons and will check these groups. I’m a member of one and it’s mainly very overpriced machines in the US, but you never know what might come up I guess.
As for information, this forum is miles ahead of the Facebook pages and it’s an invaluable resource. I’m a novice collector (although gained 10 machines in the first year I’ve been collecting)
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

geordy55 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:04 pm ………………... I’m a novice collector (although gained 10 machines in the first year I’ve been collecting)
I didn't realise you'd been slacking. Have a complete report on my desk 8.30am tomorrow.

BP dirtdog
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

Yes, I have noticed a surge in these FB vintage slots groups, and I admit to posting more on them than here.
I don't really know why, though?
I guess its just convenience as its already on my phone for social reasons.
I also think it is bringing new/ younger collectors into the fold which is a must IMO.
Remember, we are only temporary custodians of these lovely old machines and we need to be reassured that when the time comes when we sell up, there needs to be a younger audience to appreciate and hopefully, purchase our machines
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Nigel wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:23 pm
I also think it is bringing new/ younger collectors into the fold which is a must IMO.
Remember, we are only temporary custodians of these lovely old machines and we need to be reassured that when the time comes when we sell up, there needs to be a younger audience to appreciate and hopefully, purchase our machines
Then do what I've done in the past and signpost these newbies to here. Some of the advice I've read on Facebook is at the best a regurgitated and diluted quote from here.
I agree we need fresh blood otherwise our hard work and devotion will be seriously undermined.

BP :cool:
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Will that fresh blood be allowed to purchase some of the large collections that people are hoarding ?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

geordy55 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:12 pm Will that fresh blood be allowed to purchase some of the large collections that people are hoarding ?
At the right price :lol:

Funnily people do approach people through this site and I am sure a lot of machines have been sold this way, especially when people post about their machines. Collectors though are the worst to let anything go......
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

treefrog wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:17 pm
geordy55 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:12 pm Will that fresh blood be allowed to purchase some of the large collections that people are hoarding ?
At the right price :lol:

Funnily people do approach people through this site and I am sure a lot of machines have been sold this way, especially when people post about their machines. Collectors though are the worst to let anything go......
I think you're looking at that issue from the wrong angle entirely. So far as I see it it's not a case of either "being allowed" nor "prices". I can think (off the top of my head) a half dozen or so very mature stalwarts of our hobby whom have amassed massive collections in their times.
If they, or the executors of their wills suddenly flood the market then both of the above mentioned issues are purely academic and could easily polish off any investment some of us think we are sitting on!
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

I have only really seen one persons hoard and he agreed he would be dead before he ever got round to restoring all the machines he had and his kids were not in the slightest bit interested in carrying on the business. I bought one machine from him and I’m pretty sure there are loads more people like him.
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Very true BP
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Not sure that would happen unless they all die at the same time BP. Over the last 4 years a multiple set of collections have hit the market, either through change of life style or illness/death and it has given people the chance to buy machines not seen or tough to get. Suspect this will always happen.

But there is a price on everything and if someone wants something enough, people talk money.

The word with some of us is more hoarding, than collecting as most people with 50 plus machines are not displaying them, but storing them. It is a mental illness , which I suffer from as well. Mind you have I sold around 40 machines last year and have fixed up around 20 so far this year ready to sell.

I do prompt this site when I can in the social media sites and use an alias on them as was paranoid about social media security. Most people do not lock down their accounts, which I find odd.
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Facebook sucks. I’ve deleted it - what a waste of time. And yes, for future use it’s pointless - wait a day and try find that particular post you wanted: pooof! It’s gone, 3 million pages behind 400 million useless posts.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Use are right about the people who are
Running there own pages and there sitting waiting for someone
To post a rare one and they buy before appearing
I posted a mills castle front on one of the sites the other day
It never appeared but I got asked how much by this fella
I looked him up and he was admin ( bit like Bp)
When it was to dear for him he
Never posted it on the page
Same as the 2 other machines I posted 2 weeks before
They never appeared
I deleted my name of it after confronting him and not
Getting an answer
Don't even know the guy who runs it either :!?!: