Old Mills Bandit

General vintage slot machine related topics.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Old Mills Bandit

Post by badpenny »

Hi Lipman............ and welcome to the site. You've stumbled across the premier place to come and ask exactly what you want to know.

To take your last question first, to identify if it's original first remove the backpedalling gromit bungs and rotate the underhand valves to see if the bi-carbs are ........... what do you mean "WHOA!!!!! ?"

As with anything like this, long distance diagnosis without seeing the patient is like trying to sort apples over the phone......
"Oh yes that's a good one ....hmmm, that one's bad!"
It's true that there have been a few copies knocking around, especially of Mills machines, but panic ye not!
First of all have you a digital camera? If so upload some photos so we can all go "ooh" and "ahh" before sucking our heads and shaking our teeth.
I am sure that plenty of opinions will then be forthcoming.
If possible take photos from all angles and also of the mechanism removed from the cabinet from all angles, and don't forget to take some of the inside of the cabinet without the mech. as well. This is because parts of the mech don't slide out with the main lump.
Beware of valuations, they are so subjective depending on so many elements right down to the time of the year you want to sell.

Please consider joining the site as a member https://pennymachines.co.uk/..htm?Forum/index.php
especially if you are thinking of renovating this machine and want to have full access to the soggy brains ..... I mean the mines of information that reside here.

Let's have these photos and get some answers for you.

Best Regards

Badpenny :P
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Ok chap, my fault I assumed you know more than you do, no problem.
First of all don't worry about the hold buttons not working, they're not supposed to stop the reels from spinning as on a modern machine they just retard the braking system a little if the rest of the linkages are there (they may not be)
Flaky paint and dodgy chrome aren't issues either

You've got lots of options.......
* Just enjoy your dad's machine
* Buy a cheaper newer machine like an Aristocrat Arcadian to learn the principles, they're quite similar in many ways.
* Subscribe to Mechanical Memories Magazine viewtopic.php?t=467
* Attend one of our live auctions (usually twice a year) to look and learn, even buy perhaps
* Join this forum as a member and post some basic photos of the rear of the machine with the back off and we can talk you through it.
* Join the forum and see if any of the members is local enough to you to pop over and advise.

We all started like you

Badpenny :D
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Ahhh ............ the tablets, those were the days! Now I'm more inclined to buy my medication on the proviso that it tilts.

Just wait, ......if I can get more newbies to to partake of our declining hobby by subscribing to an auction, buying a new website and even come on holiday with one of us then the master plan kicks in and we can sign up their newborn to work as keymen in Brighton. You won't laugh at me then aha!
As for the photos, having learnt that Lipman needs to learn how to take good piccies I was going to suggest next that he practices by sending us photies of his house key and perhaps his right digit as it punches in his PIN No. but it was just a thought.

All seriousness aside though I was concerned his plea for help was either going to be ignored or he'd attract thinly veiled ofers to do him a favour and relieve him of it for a couple of buttons and half a goat. Whilst I myself would be prepared to go as high as three washers and a guinea pig. (the guinea pig's not well) :wink: (but don't let on)

I've just taken the +1 you kindly awarded me down to the bank, I wouldn't say they were rude about it, just glad the puddle I landed in wasn't too deep. Could you please resend it with a £ sign in front and a few capital o's before the decibel point?

Right I'm off to rally the troops now, we're marching on Blackpool, I've learnt there's a Jubilee Rio in an arcade there on 2np that's had an extra lemon pasted over a cherry on the front reel .....this will never do, come and join me one and all!!! :***