Jennings Governor Tic Tac Toe reel strips

General vintage slot machine related topics.
aristomatic

Re: Jennings Governor Tic Tac Toe reel strips

Post by aristomatic »

Might be worthwhile to post pic of "toe" symbol on 3rd reel strip as tic on 1st doesn't match tac on 2nd, before you proceed.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Attachments
a1-slots.jpg
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Hi
Here's a pic of jackpot lined up. Thanks for eBay link
Sean
Attachments
20180924_075416_resizeda.jpg
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Well you can see from tac & toe that fonts seem to match up but I would just check that the tac & toe strips stamps match.

With tic tac toe all on the centre line, did this trigger a jackpot payout? It would also be wise to check the 1st reel (tic) on yours has the same symbol layout/payouts as the matching tic reelstrip on the ebay listing.
You can, wait to see if someone comes forward with an original used tic strip, or source a replacement newly printed single strip or full set (so match).

The EBay seller (if strips match) gives you the option of using what you need and then reselling the set you don't use to recoup some cost price?
Others may chip in with better solutions for you, so hold off till then.
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Hi
On the two reels with full strips the code matches. The reel stip I need to replace has no code on it. It must be on the piece torn off. The jackpot operates at tic tac toe. The oranges also trigger correct payment. Need to check later that the partial strip matches the eBay one.
Sean
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Hi
I Checked the symbols on the remains of my reel strip with eBay one and they match up.
Sean
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

You may just want to check it pays on all single cherries & 3 oranges/plums/bells, then just decide which option on the replacement strip(s) you wish to proceed with.

Someone here may want your odd strip to use as a patch if they have the same style tic strip.
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Hi
What symbols I have all seem to pay out including where the others should be.

Regards
Sean
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Just to be sure check the payouts for the second symbol down on strip one. The strip on ebay is NOT factory correct V12-92C (for some reason Jennings always counted their strips from right to left hence C is reel one). On the factory strip the second symbol down on strip one is always a "TIC". It was a common custom change though on UK conversions to take out the "TIC" (and thus reduce the JP chances and replace with a "Cherry". If, as I suspect you will find, the payout disc has a blocked hole in that position, you might think about opening it up and getting another JP chance and fitting the correct reel strip. :cool:

Also the Ebay photo is a little confusing as the strips are all mixed up. The set you have (large symbols) are in rows 1 (C) 2 (B) and 6 (A), while the other set (small symbol) are in rows 5 (C) 4 (B) and 3 (A).
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Hi
Yes mine is a cherry payout. There seems to be a piece welded to what would have been a tic so I reckon I will hang on a few days and see if anyone on the site has one for sale or otherwise go the ebay option. It will leave me with a few spares. If anyone needs any for patching up let me know.
Sean
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Is this the strip you're looking for? I've just about finished making this set for someone else.
Attachments
V12-92 C (b).jpg
V12-92 C (a) patch.jpg
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Hi
Yes that's the one can you make one for me and I will pm my email address
Sean
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I suspect if you print out a single reel, you may want to do all three as it may not match the others.
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Thanks for the help. Have got the reel strip organised.
I have another question. The machine is permanently in free play. I can't figure out how to reverse it. It's not like other machines I have worked on . I suppose if I post a few photos it will give a better indication
Sean
brigham

Post by brigham »

If the machine plays without the insertion of a coin, it has a fault, and it's generally in the coin detector.
This usually consists of a thin rod which moves forward until it is stopped by the presence of the coin. Often it becomes bent, and stops against some other part of the machine, allowing the mech. to operate without a coin inserted.
It will be simple to rectify, once you find it!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Does the chain escalator move correctly? Can you actually put a coin in and pull the lever? Is it on 1 play per coin or two? If two, then it either has two coin detector rods or every other tooth on the chain has been removed which works but is not perfect. The most likely cause is someone wanted it on free play (god knows why) and intentionally bent the detector rod to butt against the escalator frame. As Bingham says, if it's that, it's a two min job. Just be sure to set the rod at the correct length or it won't work at all.
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Hi
I don't see the usual set up I would be used to for other slots. Here are a few photos covering back front and side
Sean
Attachments
20181001_224912_resized.jpg
20181001_224918_resized.jpg
20181001_224856_resized.jpg
20181001_224845_resized.jpg
20181001_224823_resized.jpg
20181001_224927_resized.jpg
20181001_224829_resized.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The photos don't quite tell the story other than that you need some new springs and (I think ) the spring in photo 6 is wrongly attached, plus the escalator needs a good clean. The coin detector pin is only partly on view and appears to be in the right place (but it's hard to tell if it's poking through the escalator or not).
You still didn't say if the escalator works correctly? From the photos there doesn't seem to be any coins in it.
Can you put a coin in the slot, pull the handle and see the coin move across the escalator in front of the pin?
Is it one play per coin or 2?
What coin is it on?
When you pull the handle with no coin in the slot does the detector pin move forward looking for a coin?

In photo 3 the bars that are attached to the coin detector seem to be in the "coin detected" position (which is away from the escalator). This is correct if the machine is at rest. If you pull the handle with no coin in the machine they should move to the forward position, forced into that position by the pulling of the handle. This should push the detector pin through the escalator into the "no coin detected" position and would also stop the long horizontal bars from engaging the mech and therefore not allowing the machine to play. If they do not move forward when you pull the handle then the machine will think there is coin in the slot and allow the machine to play.
From what we can see so far, a good clean and removal of that oil and grease plus some new springs might be all it needs.
seancalla

Post by seancalla »

Hi
The escalator is working. It takes 5p the one from 70s and 80s and it two plays per coin. I think from looking at it that there is a piece missing that attaches to a lever and from there to the horizontal piece-coin detector piece. The horizontal piece does not move and the missing piece would be linked to that and stop the handle being pulled. I will take a photo tomorrow and will make more sense.
Sean
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I went and pulled a Jennings running on the same 2 pulls for a 1/- and took some photos.
Firstly the spring in your photo "3" is very wrong - Jennings would never have used a spring in this way. It crosses another spring and attaches to a plate screw on the escalator. It would never have been done. As far as I can see, this spring should not be there at all. I suspect someone has added it because the escalator was dirty and not able to reset correctly without it.

20181001_224912_resized.jpg

mid spring.jpg

The main lever that moves the detector arm forward is "b" in the photo. It's not visible in your photos as "a" is blocking the view. If it's this lever that is missing, then that is the problem. A part I've never seen removed before and (possibly) not easy to find.

push lever.jpg

The horizontal arms are connected to the detector pins by the two screws marked in the next photo. There may only be one as your machine has had every other coin guide removed from the chain to allow for two plays per coin. The other method of getting two plays was to leave coin guides in and add a second pin detector so that although the coin moved every pull (instead of every other pull, as in your case) it would still find a detector pin for the second play.

detector pins.jpg