General vintage slot machine related topics.
coppinpr

Win a Spangles... I do like a challenge

Postby coppinpr » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:49 pm

True, I do like to work on machines that are pretty far gone, but this poor chap is on life support. I think the allwin serial killer kidnapped him and tortured him with a paint brush at some time in the past. Still, as you can see, I've made a start. :o
start2.jpg

brigham

Re: win a spangles..I do like a challange

Postby brigham » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Oh Lor'!

treefrog

Re: Win a Spangles... I do like a challenge

Postby treefrog » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:32 pm

I am the odd one out here and love painted allwins....perhaps not this colour scheme ;-)

Have seen many in the past, especially the BM co’s with fairground folk art scrawls on the front. Trouble is they get in the hands of the collector who wish to turn them back into coffins. I do not blame operators for brightening up their dull machines, I still have a Giant Wonders in fire engine red and prefer it to the other three in my collection....

Not sure the pink will be a loss here though. :lol:

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:41 pm

There are some odd things about this machine. First, of course, it could never have looked good in this paint, the lock has been removed, blocked up and a small padlock hasp fitted(?), then there is the coin box access. It's nailed shut!! and I do mean nailed shut. Thing is, the coins still go straight down the chute into the lower area - you just can't get them out... ever! Not as it's set up at the moment. !PUZZLED!
Strange thing is considering the outside, it works fine and has very little wrong inside, one small spring (I think) missing and the coin entry is not authentic, but it works fine in every respect. Nothing I can do with the backflash - it's not that it's worn but that it has corroded away over the whole surface. Poorly stored I suspect, but at least the paint protected the case in storage.

special when lit

Postby special when lit » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:41 pm

I once painted an Anglia van in the same colours!
221590018_aef5565a38.jpg

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:26 pm

You didn't have an arcade full of allwins at the time did you? I shouldn't think so, your brush work looks far superior. My allwin looks like the painter used used a yard broom as a paint brush. !!ARTIST!!

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:17 pm

That allwin along with the other one you are aware of Paul came from Kings Hall Aberystwyth
Both machines were discovered in the cellar at the time of the demolition of the building in1989.
They were rescued by a young man who just squirreled them away.

If I recall correctly, at some time in the 90s he suffered poor mental health when his Father died unexpectedly. After not leaving the house for a long time his situation worsened and he tried to busy himself by repairing and "prettying" them up. He clearly had no practical skills and soon gave up, along with several other activities he'd tried to fill his life with.
Sadly he shortly afterwards decided his life was unbearable and ended it.
The machines were gifted to a wonderful old man who had been a window cleaner in the town and knew the Mother & Son. He'd feigned interest in the lad's activities to try and help him. The Mother couldn't bear seeing them around so she gave them to him thinking he was interested.

Trying to research them led him to your website http://www.penny-arcade.info/ You passed the contact to me, and I collected and paid for them. He only released them because he knew we were genuine enthusiasts and would do our utmost to do the best for them.

I restored the other one, which apart from the same paint job, was missing glass, locks, back, parts of mechanism etc. and it was sold on two auctions ago. It ended as a fine machine bearing none of its previous scars.
The amount it realised at Coventry covered the cost of the two machines and probably the petrol, but not the materials used.
I released the other to you as it's now your turn.
Good luck with it, I know you will do it proud and recall its past and experience before we got involved, as you do so.

BP :cool:

dutchboy

Postby dutchboy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:00 am

I like the stories behind the machines I have. Sadly, many times it’s unknown or people are not interested to share it. Nice read badpenny! Greetings.

arrgee

Postby arrgee » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:09 am

If this were my machine I would print out the story that BP has told, laminate it and then fix it to the inside of the back of the machine for posterity where it can be seen. So little is known of many of our allwins that I think this is a great piece of heritage to have with the machine.

Good luck with the resto PC

john t peterson

Postby john t peterson » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:09 pm

It's the humanity behind these machines that ultimately binds us together. A nice story, BP, complete with charitable work all around.
Well done. !THUMBS!

J Peterson
Allwins 4 all, USA