General vintage slot machine related topics.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Win a Spangles... I do like a challenge

Postby pennymachines » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:15 am

Yes, the normal scheme on OW sweetie allwins is winners for all 7 positions of the gallery.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:01 pm

brigham wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:52 am
There is either a 'lost' hole, or one or more 'lost' tubes in the gallery.
I can't say I've noticed both
I don't think that's right. Search for images on the net, pretty much every one has a drain hole. This Spangles machine has never had any parts changed and was made as seven winners as they always did (as Mr P. has pointed out). I myself don't think I've seen a standard allwin with no lose hole. If there was no lose hole it would need to have been made with the lower track nearest to the gallery removed or cut into two to allow the ball to return to the hammer. !PUZZLED! I've only ever owned 5 allwins so I'm no expert. Perhaps I've just never seen one with the different track config.
Last edited by coppinpr on Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brigham

Postby brigham » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:13 pm

I imagine that some of the more shady operators have, at some time, modified a machine with a 'lost' hole so that it has one or more 'lost' tubes on the gallery, as well.
I've never seen one personally. All the ones I've seen have had either one or the other, but not both.
I'm wondering how you are going to replicate the Spangles. They were square, weren't they?

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:20 pm

Adding "lose" holes to the gallery I can see, that's commonplace (although it's not as easy as you make it sound). An internal path for the losers back to the ball release would need to be added to any machine not built with one. But adding a drain lose hole to a machine with losers on the gallery I can't see.

Spangles were indeed square. I've been told there are square shaped sweets (but not like Spangles) available in shops like The Range.

brianh

Postby brianh » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:32 pm

brigham wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:13 pm
I imagine that some of the more shady operators have, at some time, modified a machine with a 'lost' hole so that it has one or more 'lost' tubes on the gallery, as well.
I've never seen one personally. All the ones I've seen have had either one or the other, but not both.
Attached pics (before and after tidied up a bit) of one I got a while back which had both ends of the gallery as "lose" and also a "lose" hole. It is though still surprisingly easy to win, as there are no metal shoulders to help the balls into the lose slots, so has presumably been cannibalised in the past. (Incidentally, like with the Spangles, I couldn't find packs of Spearmint Chews to fit but managed to source mini plastic packs of Mint Tic Tacs which fit prefectly, so honour satisfied. !!THUMBSX2!! )
new2.jpg
win spearmint.jpg
win a spearmint chew.jpg

brigham

Postby brigham » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:44 am

Further research appears to prove me wrong.
It turns out the 'Spangles' machine may not be modified after all. The example on the Pennymachines site ALSO has two 'LOSE' tubes on the gallery, as well as a 'LOST' hole.
If so, I've certainly seen (and played) one.
Strange thing, memory. Not to be relied on.

arrgee

Postby arrgee » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:52 am

R & W also had 2 lose holes in the gallery plus another lose in the traditional location at the bottom of the track, the mech for this Aero allwin is all original.
IMG_0260.JPG

brigham

Postby brigham » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:09 pm

Lovely machine.
Did Ruffler's build it, or simply distribute it for Whales?

arrgee

Postby arrgee » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:59 pm

brigham wrote:Did Ruffler's build it, or simply distribute it for Whales?
Hi brigham, Ruffler & Walker did not build allwins they were made by a company called Corteen in London and distributed by R & W.

JC

Postby JC » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:13 pm

Although R&W didn't manufacture machines as such, they appear to have been very good at buying out companies that did; this was certainly the case with Corteen. Another example was Modern Enterprises (makers of the Laughing Sailors and other puppet machines) whose most prolific output was under R&W ownership.