Coin op Items in Collectables Auction in Australia

General vintage slot machine related topics.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Coin op Items in Collectables Auction in Australia

Post by pennymachines »

bob wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:03 pm I learnt only recently of an excellent website relating to Cox's Gold Sovereign changers etc from Gameswat that would also interest Sweetmeats if he is not already aware of it:
http://ftldesign.com/Cox/index.html

Actually, that's the second link I put in the Arena back in 2004!

Tall Cox's Gold Changer
Tall Cox's Gold Changer

gameswat wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:49 pmPM, I'm surprised you didn't find the Penny Ante with just a Google search

270.jpg

Must admit I didn't look for it. I did search for recent slot machine sales in Wandin North and found Yarra Valley Auctions, but they don't list or even link to their past sales.
I've put results with full size pics, catalogue descriptions and UK price conversions in the Arena for the records.
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

Thank you to Bob for the improved photo and also to Gameswat for the excellent link to the Cox's site. The picture does pose a question, where do the used cups go? On the usual size machine there is a recessed tray behind the pediment. On the Ell's machine on the small size a galleried top to place used cups and on the similar size to the standard Cox machine brass tubes inside the machine and the cups replaced in the top. I bought a tall Ell's machine of a similar size to the Cox machine from the Elephant House auction in 2017. Until this I had no idea this larger size was made. I expect the Cox's machine also held £40 of change being 27 x £1 and 26 x 10/-.

Below is a picture of my machine. There are hooks on either side and holes where screws would have held a base plate, suggesting that originally there would have been a return tube on either side which could be removed and swapped for the empty tube in the machine when all change had been given. Is it possible this was how the tall Cox Machine worked?
Attachments
IMG_0001a.jpg
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Wow them prices for the 30s pins maybe mines worth more than I give it credit for