Bryans Clock

General vintage slot machine related topics.
hiflyer

Bryans Clock

Post by hiflyer »

I just acquired this 12 win Bryans clock. It needs a bit of a service but it all seems to be there and it works. It would appear to have a jackpot feature which pays out from the container behind the window on the left if the two hands finish on the twelve in addition to the 24 coins which pay out from the coin stack. However, there doesn't seem to be any way for coins to get into the container. Would this have to be filled by the operator manually perhaps at the start of day assuming it would be very unlikely that anyone would win it? Also when the container empties it would seem there is no automatic reset to close it. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
Bryans-clock-1a.jpg
treefrog

Re: Bryans Clock

Post by treefrog »

Correct, you have answered your own questions, one of the odd and rare poor designs by Mr Bryans......a bugger to fill up and reset.....guess why many got disabled.
hiflyer

Post by hiflyer »

Thanks, treefrog. Does seem a bit daft. I tried filling the jackpot container and the stack. Wow what an avalanche! I had to fool it into twelve o'clock to win though. Would have taken weeks to get it to randomly stop there. There also seems to be a little springy device attached to the clock wheel to make it even harder for the win lever to notch in to the twelve slot. They must have made lots of money with these machines.
hiflyer

Post by hiflyer »

Next question, if someone would be so kind. I found the 12 win clockface in Resources and have been trying to copy and print it. I do realise it needs an A3 printer but I just can't get the size right. It's stored as a GIF file which will only print with a broken up image. I tried the trick someone suggested of opening it in a new tab but that didn't work as I just ended up with another GIF. Next try was to copy it to Photosuite and then save it as a BMP. This can then be imported to CorelDraw and re-sized (the original measures 225mm across the diameter from flower point to flower point). I then gave the resulting BMP to our local print shop and they ended up with a perfect quality image but with a truncated side. They suggested saving it from CorelDraw to a PDF file. I tried that but the file it created was over 16mb in size so it would not send in email.

What's the secret guys? !PUZZLED! Or should I just wait for the next auction and hope one comes up as they usually do. God I hate bloody computers! :smash:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Would the print company not accept gif as a format.....I would always avoid switching between formats. Also it is a very small image file 176kb, would expect nearer 2mb for higher quality.....they should be able to print from original file and telling them dimensions. You can resize to specific size in an app like photoshop.
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

You could save a screen shot then put the image onto a memory stick then take it to your local printer, I’ve done this as it always seem to work for me. |/XX\|
hiflyer

Post by hiflyer »

Thanks for the replies. A screen shot would not be an accurate size. Printing as a GIF appears to be a problem as the image breaks up. That's why I wanted to try to change the file format. The CorelDraw image is fine and I have sized it correctly but I don't have an A3 printer and the print shop doesn't have CorelDraw so they can't read it. Apart from CorelDraw I don't have software on my PC which provides an accurate size grid and it's important to get that right. I'm now having to do some more head scratching. Does anyone on here sell the right size prints? I want it on matt finish photographic card.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I think your original face art is pretty damn good, has unique character for sure which is a huge plus! Sadly I imagine it will end up irreversible once a new face is glued over it.
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

I have messaged you hiflyer. !THUMBS!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I'm with gameswat, clock face looks good, original patina trumps modern repro
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I agree with gameswat and moonriver the face looks in pretty good nick to me. The usual problem with clock faces is rust coming through, but yours looks okay.
More difficult will be replacing the chrome bezel if you don't have it.
hiflyer

Post by hiflyer »

Thanks for all the replies. I had toyed with keeping the original clock face but those marks you can see are actually rust and are worse than they look in the pic. I may still change my mind on that, but I have now managed to get the new clock face and the instruction insert printed correctly thanks to my print shop and some jiggery pokery. I was very impressed that despite all the work put in by them and the number of failed print attempts they only charged me three quid! I think they must have enjoyed the challenge. I do have the chrome bezel by the way. The pic was taken part way through dismantling the whole thing. This is a very nice example with matching serial numbers (1873) on the case, back door and mechanism, which is pretty clean in its original blue finish. The chrome isn't bad either, just needs some cleaning up. I certainly won't be rechroming. This machine has just been brought back from the USA so it's found its way home again.
hiflyer

Post by hiflyer »

Many thanks by the way to whoever created and uploaded the clock face to this forum. I am sure it must have helped out a lot of people restoring these machines.