Bargain Hunt BBC1 2/12/19 interview with Darren Hesketh

General vintage slot machine related topics.
alan57

Bargain Hunt BBC1 2/12/19 interview with Darren Hesketh

Post by alan57 »

Just wondered if anyone saw Darren Hesketh being interviewed on Bargain Hunt BBC1 2/12/19

The film crew was at Bygone times, Eccleston, Lancashire. The interviewer who's name escapes me was discussing slot machines with Darren in his penny arcade in Bygone times.

A number of working models and some allwins was shown, and Darren explained how he started his collection.

Not sure if it's a repeat, but may be worth watching on catch up TV for anyone who hasn't seen it.
brigham

Re: Bargain Hunt BBC1 2/12/19 interview with Darren Hesketh

Post by brigham »

Good old Lancashire name, Hesketh.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Yes, saw this as well, presented by Eric Knowles (Antiques Road Show chap) a 2019 programme, just a pity that the interview was so short - looked to be some nice machines there.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

The last time I was in Bygone times around August time, most of the machines had been taken away, leaving a lot of empty spaces :!?!:

After speaking to Bob (Jingle) a couple of weeks ago, and he told me a lot of the machines Darren had in Bygone times was on loan from Clive ( the guy who had the penny arcade on Southport pier).

Its a pity if Darren is struggling to keep the arcade open, because the penny arcades he had at Botany Bay, Chorley, and the candle museum in Cheshire both closed.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I saw Darren briefly at the recent EH auction but didn't ask him about the status of his arcades. I think Clive mentioned that the working arcade at Botany Bay is now gone because the mill has closed to make way for a designer outlet village and 300 new homes.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Fear not and don't panic! Darren has been a busy lad.
Clive's machines moved out of Bygone Times earlier this year around January to make room for Darren's own machines when Botany Bay closed in February.
There are two areas in Bygone Times with plenty of machines to play in both areas. The arcade attraction at Bygone Times is expected to be improved and revamped next year with new plans afoot.
Another brand new attraction, a vintage arcade recently set up by Darren at Anderton Boat Lift Visitor Centre at Northwich in Cheshire is proving popular. The site is seasonal and currently only open at weekends until the start of the new season and then open daily from March.
Darren also has another new site in the north west currently under development which is expected to incorporate a small vintage arcade and a rather unique sideshow attraction created by Darren, and themed around visual illusions.
scorpa163

Post by scorpa163 »

The interview was repeated today on a Bargain Hunt special on Toys and games.