Niche Collections

General vintage slot machine related topics.
cait001

Re: Niche Collections

Post by cait001 »

new post:
Niche Collection 005: Caitlyn's purely mechanical and upright games http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2020/ ... urely.html

niche collections.jpg

cait001

Post by cait001 »

Niche Collection 006: Neo Skywalker's Euro pinball machines https://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2020 ... -euro.html

niche006.jpg

cait001

Post by cait001 »

Niche Collection 007: Mr. Sugiyama's Pachinko Museum https://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2020 ... hinko.html

niche007.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

A cool and very unusual collection. Nice to see so many first generation Pachinkos all in one place.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

cait001

Post by cait001 »

Niche Mechanisms 005: booze barometers
http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2023/ ... eters.html
cait001

Post by cait001 »

Attachments
1930 Little Whirl Wind by Peo 1.jpg
1930 Little Whirl Wind by Peo 1.jpg (64.23 KiB) Viewed 801 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Impressive line-up. Here are three more:

Bolland/BM Co. All Winners

Bryans Pilwin Play
PilwinPlay-S.jpg
PilwinPlay-S.jpg (145.83 KiB) Viewed 746 times

Wonders Chip Or Bust
Allwins2n11.jpg
Allwins2n11.jpg (72.91 KiB) Viewed 746 times

cait001

Post by cait001 »

Thank you! I will add those to the post later this weekend.
I thought a bit about the specific criteria I wanted to use and I decided to not list machines where the ball is launched via a spiral, so that first one, the BM Co All Winners, wouldn't meet my criteria, but the other 2 do as it's the spiral itself that is the whole of the gameplay.

Do you know when that BMCo All Winners is from? It seems nearly identical to a Japanese patent document I have.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I don't see why the BM Co doesn't fit in? I can see the "Whirl Wind" above is a spiral machine because the spiral decides the winner but the "All Winners" is a standard allwin with one extra set of rails. In fact, the "Chip or Bust" has the same number of rails as the "All Winners". !PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I'm also a bit confused about the criteria.
All positions of the gallery on All Winners, as the name suggests, are winners. You only lose if you miss the gallery, so you have a very good chance. The catch is, you only get your penny back. !DOH!
I think these metal backed BM Co's may date from the 1920s, a few years before the cloth-backed 1930s games like Pin-Royal, but it's just a hunch.

Play on these games is quite different from other allwins, creating an illusion that the ball speeds up as it traverses the more-or-less Archimedean spiral. This is because as it approaches the centre successive turnings are shorter. The nearer a win target is placed to the end, the harder it becomes to achieve. On Pilwin Play it's immediately before the end; on Chip or Bust, its one turn before the end.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

coppinpr wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:38 am I don't see why the BM Co doesn't fit in? I can see the "Whirl Wind" above is a spiral machine because the spiral decides the winner but the "All Winners" is a standard allwin with one extra set of rails. In fact, the "Chip or Bust" has the same number of rails as the "All Winners". !PUZZLED!
the difference is that All Winners launches the ball in to a pin field, and the other 2 have the ball purely within the spiral and rely on the action of the spiral exclusively. No launching. I didn't include any regular allwins in the post. :)
brigham

Post by brigham »

Spiral games fit into the 'Can't win on them' category.
I'll be visiting an arcade at Scarborough tomorrow, which has one. I'll report back if I get a win!
Wonders Boomerang also fits this category.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

cait001 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:16 am ...the difference is that All Winners launches the ball in to a pin field, and the other 2 have the ball purely within the spiral and rely on the action of the spiral exclusively.
OK, that makes sense.
brigham wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:45 am Spiral games fit into the 'Can't win on them' category.
I'll be visiting an arcade at Scarborough tomorrow, which has one. I'll report back if I get a win!
Wonders Boomerang also fits this category.
There's a knack to Boomerang - keep it short and, true to its name, the ball keeps returning to the striker for another try. Shoot it too hard and you lose fast.

I've found no strategy on Wonders Spin-A-Win. If the paddles are in the right position you can hit the central ball return hole quite easily, but that's all.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Another spiral game: Teifun, 1907