General vintage slot machine related topics.
treefrog

Re: Best old penny arcades in UK?

Postby treefrog » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:40 pm

mr merrivale wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:10 pm
The Mile stones arcade has closed and Clive Baker has removed all of his machines some time ago .
Oh dear, I see Moonriver had updated the site last month. Funny as the Museum website had not removed the attraction, just stating closed during Covid, so assumed was temporary. How many will survive this crisis I wonder.....think my plan last year to visit all arcades in U.K. on a road trip perhaps was doomed from the start.

mr merrivale

Postby mr merrivale » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:30 pm

Hi Tree frog
Both my arcades are open as usual at this moment of time. Let me know when you're coming to visit on your road trip and I will try and be there for the tour.

moonriver

Postby moonriver » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:28 pm

treefrog wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:40 pm
mr merrivale wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:10 pm
The Mile stones arcade has closed and Clive Baker has removed all of his machines some time ago .
Oh dear, I see Moonriver had updated the site last month. Funny as the Museum website had not removed the attraction, just stating closed during Covid, so assumed was temporary. How many will survive this crisis I wonder.....think my plan last year to visit all arcades in U.K. on a road trip perhaps was doomed from the start.
I think the reason Milestones are just stating 'closed during Covid' is that they appear to be attempting to do their own attraction

moonriver

Postby moonriver » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:30 pm

fortunefish wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:59 am
As a child I used to go with my parents to the Mechanical Memories Museum in Brighton, and I have fantastic memories of this, and understand it closed a couple of years ago.

More recently I’ve been to the Merrivale Old Penny Arcade in Great Yarmouth, which I really enjoyed and brought back some great memories.

I am hoping to ask if anyone on this forum had any other suggestions of locations in the UK which would be worth visiting with great old penny arcade machines. I'm also interested in arcades with antique and vintage machines, which operate with modern money, not just machines which operate with old pennies.

I am especially interested in fortune teller machines.

Any advice and suggestions appreciated
I just sent you a private message fortunefish

arrgee

Postby arrgee » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:32 pm

mr merryvale wrote:The Mile stones arcade has closed and Clive Baker has removed all of his machines some time ago .
That is a great shame, Clive's selection of machines there were very good and in-keeping with the overall theme of the museum with its old Victorian/Edwardian houses, shops and artefacts.
Another one bites the dust
:-(