Aristocrat Starlite queries

General vintage slot machine related topics.
jerryt

Aristocrat Starlite queries

Post by jerryt »

Topic split & copied from Introductions - Site Admin.

SO... first newbie question... Approximate date? I'm assuming post 71 as it's decimal.

Second newbie... the carcass is blue (Hammerite type ) paint and if it's an overpaint it's very neat. Front mesh has definitely been overpainted.
Any idea of the original colours please...

ta muchly, Jerry
coppinpr

Re: Aristocrat Starlite queries

Post by coppinpr »

The Starlite came out in I think 1961 and became part of a series of smaller bandits made by what was then called the Ainsworth Dental Supply Co.
They certainly came in red, brown, black, and the colour you have, as well as blue, which seems to have been the most popular. The cases were often blue and a hammered finish, so it's most likely original. These are all but indestructible so a great machine to start with.

I did smile at your unknowing assumption that this is going to be a one-off shed curio. My guess is you will be dismantling a Mills hi-top on the kitchen table within 3 months, much to the disgust of the rest of the family. I remember the happy days 15 years ago when I decided to buy my first bandit in 30 years, just the one to tinker with, the exact same machine as you have in fact. Now I have 23 machines (at the moment) and I'm trying to convince myself I don't need the "fireworks" allwin I've been offered and want very much. It's like a virus with no vaccine. :-(
Oh, welcome to the forum, by the way. :cool:
Attachments
starlight.jpg
starlight.jpg (27.92 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
jerryt

Post by jerryt »

The kitchen table comment resonates...
It's a veteran of my many dalliances. At least 4 clocking in machines, umpteen Kart engines and recently a couple of race-car cylinder heads that needed 'clean room' attention for measure and build!

While resistance is probably futile I shall try to temper my enthusiasm, at least for a while!

Learning points so far on this machine...

1. Later (copper plated steel) pennies don't work because of a magnet in the coin drop chute... This had me foxed for a short while.
The realisation followed by a massive sort out of all the pennies I had grubbed up from the back of the sofa and the inevitable family penny pots, plus having to empty the coin tube that I had naively filled earlier... An hour or more of my life I'll never get back.

2. It likes being played... the more I put though it the better it gets as the mech continues to free, especially the pay out slides.

3. It's a swizz.. The advertised 14p pay-out is only 12p, I shall complain to the manager!

So to the next newbie question... Next the the coin drop orifice there is a bent coin release plunger. I note from various images that some have them.. some don't. This feature is certainly is of no use with the present coin mech.. Does it therefore, indicate a conversion at some point?

I'm so enjoying this, can you tell?

jerry.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

All good stuff.
If you track the reach of the reject button inside, you may notice it protrudes just above a part of the coin gate which is spring loaded to keep it in place.
That should have a metal tab attached for the button to connect with. Pressing the button allows you to push the gate against the springs and open up so the caught coin can slide out.
If there's no connection the tab may have been fractured or just bent back out of reach.

BP
brigham

Post by brigham »

This machine would originally have been on 'tanners', which probably accounts for the 14 payout only paying 12.
On the plus side, this suggests that the original payout slides are still in place. You could try filling the payout tube with tanners (or 14 of them, at least), and forcing a 14 win.
If it pays 14, you are well on your way to restoring the machine to its original coinage.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

All you need now is a matching stand......
Attachments
B789A642-9E8F-4CF2-AFBE-12DFB74D0E03.jpeg
jerryt

Post by jerryt »

A stand... In the words of Frankie Howerd ..... Ooooh stoppit! It'll have to put up with the workshop bench

Strong consideration of getting it on tanners though, maybe try and grub up 20 so I can give it a try for a full pay-out.

Questions...

1. If it's not paying out the correct amount because its using 1p pieces that are 0.1 mm thicker than the 6d, hence 12 rather than 14, 18 rather than 20 coins etc. Which makes perfect sense. Why don't the slides jam as the aberrance increases coin by coin until eventually one penny bridges the gap between 2 slides? (I'm presuming some sort of lead ramp to allow a neat slide out coin by coin?)

2.. One of the screws from the plate on top of the pay-out slides is missing... anybody got a spare please? It'll save removing another for thread identification.

That's all for now folks!

kind ones.. Jerry
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The missing screw might answer another of your questions. The slide top plate may well have been set with loose screws or spacers to allow for the tiny total extra thickness of the 1p. The fact it's improving with play is very true of all slots but might indicate old oxidized grease that needs removing. The magnet simply pops out, then you can use any 1p.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The magnet isn't the only issue with steel based 1nps
Although the diameter is the same they are slightly thicker which easily affects: -
Coin entry
Coin gate
Any narrow channels the coin travels through edge on.
Pay out slides.

The reason they have a different thickness is to maintain the same weight and diameter while using metals of different density.

BP Eureka :didact:
jerryt

Post by jerryt »

Out came the vernier callipers... A difference of between 0.14 and 0.2 mm between old new pennies and ‘new’ new pennies. I learn every day!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

What made you think the machine was on new penny? Normally when these machines were converted during decimalisation they would reduce payout to 10 coins and in the process chop the vertical fingers. Your machine is probably on 6D.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Well spotted!
It ISN'T a conversion at all. It's just been used on new penny, because it happens to work.
I'll wager all it needs is a bag of tanners and a badge.
jerryt

Post by jerryt »

There was apparently a 1p denominator (is that the correct term?) attached to it at one time (he handed this over with the machine).

But still pre-decimal... Yesss!!! To my mind far preferable!

Even as a newbie, it's logical that all the oddity with the pay-out adds up to it still being on 6d...
jerryt

Post by jerryt »

Quick calculator bash... about 25 cm of pay-out tube... 6d at about 1.4mm thick... 200 or so needed?
brigham

Post by brigham »

It's on Fruit reels, rather than Poker, so you'll be OK to use cheaply-available British tanners.
I have one still carrying the original 'Pokie' reels, and so I set out to buy genuine Australian sixpences.
They are scarce, and prices are phenomenal! Seems the Aussies didn't bother to remove the silver content, leading to high scrappage rates and consequent rarity.
I bought three, just for demonstration purposes!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Not the case. The first Aristocrats coming to U.K. all came with poker strips for U.K. use, including Clubmasters and Sheerline models. These are not machine made for Aussie market.
jerryt

Starlite sixpenny advice, a thank-you

Post by jerryt »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Prompted by my enquiries about the incorrect pay-out amounts from my Aristocrat Starlite, those with more knowledge than me suggested that it had might have been 'converted' to new pennies with just the application of a 1p denominator badge to replace the old 6d one.

Having scrounged 2 dozen tanners and after emptying the pennies from the feed tube, I've dropped the tanners in and cycled the winning combinations...

Those who predicted that it would still have the pre-decimal slides in it were bang on! Correct pay-out each time now. I'm thrilled.

THANK YOU... I'm pretty sure I'd have never sussed this.

Before I dive into the Ebay shark tank to buy a couple of hundred 6d coins at inflated prices... Can anybody tell me of a source at reasonable cost please?

And while I'm at it... I'm going to need a 6d badge for the top... Any suggestions?

thanks again....

jt
treefrog

Re: Starlite sixpenny advice, a thank-you

Post by treefrog »

The badges were actually stickers on these, so not a badge. It would be possible to copy an original and print on stick paper.

You asked about pictures, my machines are not accessible at the moment due to lockdown, so I would have done a few of good condition machines. I only have a four reeler Sheerline and scruffy machine near me.

Sixpences are all over eBay, just search, even I have a bag of 200 on at a ridiculous price
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224345045589
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I'm going to need a 6d badge for the top... Any suggestions?
I'll make you a new badge if you want (if you will make a £2 donation to my website upkeep to cover the cost/postage), but there are two options. many had just a round disc with "6d" on it, but yours,in its original persona, would have had a rectangle with "6d, to reserve turn knob" on it, this we can tell because yours has two buttons/knobs near the coin entry, the one closest to the coin entry would have swiveled across to close off the coin entry when reserved, this has most likely been removed.
jerryt

Post by jerryt »

Done... and thank you.