Aristocrat Starlite queries

General vintage slot machine related topics.
treefrog

Re: Aristocrat Starlite queries

Post by treefrog »

What made you think the machine was on new penny? Normally when these machines were converted during decimalisation they would reduce payout to 10 coins and in the process chop the vertical fingers. Your machine is probably on 6D.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Well spotted!
It ISN'T a conversion at all. It's just been used on new penny, because it happens to work.
I'll wager all it needs is a bag of tanners and a badge.
jerryt

Post by jerryt »

There was apparently a 1p denominator (is that the correct term?) attached to it at one time (he handed this over with the machine).

But still pre-decimal... Yesss!!! To my mind far preferable!

Even as a newbie, it's logical that all the oddity with the pay-out adds up to it still being on 6d...
jerryt

Post by jerryt »

Quick calculator bash... about 25 cm of pay-out tube... 6d at about 1.4mm thick... 200 or so needed?
brigham

Post by brigham »

It's on Fruit reels, rather than Poker, so you'll be OK to use cheaply-available British tanners.
I have one still carrying the original 'Pokie' reels, and so I set out to buy genuine Australian sixpences.
They are scarce, and prices are phenomenal! Seems the Aussies didn't bother to remove the silver content, leading to high scrappage rates and consequent rarity.
I bought three, just for demonstration purposes!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Not the case. The first Aristocrats coming to U.K. all came with poker strips for U.K. use, including Clubmasters and Sheerline models. These are not machine made for Aussie market.
jerryt

Starlite sixpenny advice, a thank-you

Post by jerryt »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Prompted by my enquiries about the incorrect pay-out amounts from my Aristocrat Starlite, those with more knowledge than me suggested that it had might have been 'converted' to new pennies with just the application of a 1p denominator badge to replace the old 6d one.

Having scrounged 2 dozen tanners and after emptying the pennies from the feed tube, I've dropped the tanners in and cycled the winning combinations...

Those who predicted that it would still have the pre-decimal slides in it were bang on! Correct pay-out each time now. I'm thrilled.

THANK YOU... I'm pretty sure I'd have never sussed this.

Before I dive into the Ebay shark tank to buy a couple of hundred 6d coins at inflated prices... Can anybody tell me of a source at reasonable cost please?

And while I'm at it... I'm going to need a 6d badge for the top... Any suggestions?

thanks again....

jt
treefrog

Re: Starlite sixpenny advice, a thank-you

Post by treefrog »

The badges were actually stickers on these, so not a badge. It would be possible to copy an original and print on stick paper.

You asked about pictures, my machines are not accessible at the moment due to lockdown, so I would have done a few of good condition machines. I only have a four reeler Sheerline and scruffy machine near me.

Sixpences are all over eBay, just search, even I have a bag of 200 on at a ridiculous price
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224345045589
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I'm going to need a 6d badge for the top... Any suggestions?
I'll make you a new badge if you want (if you will make a £2 donation to my website upkeep to cover the cost/postage), but there are two options. many had just a round disc with "6d" on it, but yours,in its original persona, would have had a rectangle with "6d, to reserve turn knob" on it, this we can tell because yours has two buttons/knobs near the coin entry, the one closest to the coin entry would have swiveled across to close off the coin entry when reserved, this has most likely been removed.
jerryt

Post by jerryt »

Done... and thank you.
jerryt

Missing stop bolt? Aristocrat Starlite

Post by jerryt »

Topic moved & merged- Site Admin.

Examining the mechanism for my Starlite
I've noticed a large sprung stop on the outside. (It's on the the left side of the mechanism as you look at it from the front).
Presumably this is to stop an over-movement of the lever that's pulled by the large horizontal outer spring (the one with the two butterfly nuts for adjustment).
Currently there is nothing through the lever that could contact the stop ...
Should there therefore, be an adjustable stop bolt?
And if there should be one... how should it be set?

Secondly, how much tension is needed on the adjustable spring... is it critical?

thanks in advance

JerryT
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Photos please, then we can help. :cool:
jerryt

Post by jerryt »

Since posing the question about the mechanism I decided that rather than relying on others I should jolly well learn about it myself!

After downloading the later Model Aristocrat service manual and staring into the mechanism of mine for hours I've got a fairly clear picture of which bit does what and why.

I shall keep at it!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

That's great, but it doesn't mean asking questions on here isn't a good idea. Believe me, nothing makes a slot machine answer as clear as asking direct on the forum. !!IDEA!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

If nobody has already mentioned it ..... take gallons of photos as you unmantle it.
It'll save you stamping your feet when you come to remantling time.

BP