1939 Evans Ten Strike

General vintage slot machine related topics.
rneccano

1939 Evans Ten Strike

Post by rneccano »

I've just bought a 1939 Evans Ten Strike from Canada. I've always wanted one, but living in the UK I thought I would never get one. I'm looking forward to restoring it. When I got it, it was not working, but I managed to get it working, but the scoring is not yet registering properly
Last edited by rneccano on Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clubconsoles

Re: 1939 Evans Ten Strike

Post by clubconsoles »

wow, what a lovely machine. i love theses 30s manikin games. That looks an excellent project, you have done well there.
Is the plexiglass dome original, looks so nice?
Was it much to ship from Canada, which company did you use?

Well done on your purchase, that's a stunning piece of Arcadia
rneccano

Post by rneccano »

I would like to say it was cheap. If you have the money and you want it go for it. you only live once and your a long time dead. About the price of a good car.
rneccano

Post by rneccano »

It's not Plexiglas, it's solid glass.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

rneccano wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:04 pm I would like to say it was cheap. If you have the money and you want it go for it. you only live once and your a long time dead. About the price of a good car
100% agreed with this philosophy. This is why I put a dumb offer out for a Jezzard Mini Cascade. The hearts wants what it wants!!!
And hello from Canada, glad you could snag one of our games! Was this the one that was near Ottawa (near me?) I remember a similar one being for sale last year or so.

There are a lot more of these types of mannikin bowling machines in North America than in other regions of the world.
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

I live by the same thought. May you have many happy years together with your purchase. Forget the cost and just enjoy playing the machine.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

What a great machine. We had one in my local arcade, "Lots-o-Fun" in Tooting, South London when I started work nearby in 1965 and one I loved to play, but it was too expensive at 6d when all the pinballs were on 3d. I can't remember if it was an Evens or a Rock Ola.
I started working part-time at that arcade in 1973, repairing pinballs and remember the Ten-pin game stored in a corner in the workshop. I wonder what happened to it and all the other ones that were in use in the UK. You must be so very pleased with it, well done. !!THUMBSX2!!
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

I expect the machine coppinpr played on was the Williams 1958 Ten Strike, with a Perspex cover.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Lovely! great fun to play.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

sweetmeats wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:09 pmI expect the machine coppinpr played on was the Williams 1958 Ten Strike, with a Perspex cover.
I guess it could have been. It's almost 60 years ago, but what has always stuck in my mind was the full depth polished wood case and shaped polished wood back box. It struck me as so different from a pinball (of which we had 25 in the arcade) the Williams does resemble a pinball in style, so I don't think it was the Williams.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Great machine, I have recollections of playing on one of these as a small boy and used to think that the aiming of the ball via turning the character was just amazing!
Fabulous boyhood memories.
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Gorgeous machine. You must be very happy indeed.
rneccano

Post by rneccano »

I've managed to get the scoring working correctly. Now for the cabinet to restore.
watlingman

Post by watlingman »

What a fantastic looking machine. One of my favorite games and well done for jumping in. I had a similar experience importing a Bakers Races from Philadelphia. Not for the faint hearted with such a complex mechanism. If you get stuck on your restoration, contact Mike Hasanov in the USA. He's a top restorer and very helpful.