Headed For The Hoosegow

General vintage slot machine related topics.
roger

Headed For The Hoosegow

Post by roger »

A vintage slot machine was recently confiscated by the gaming authorities in my town. Many States consider the possession of
a gaming device to be a class "A" misdemenor punishable by 1 year in jail plus 3 years probation and a hefty fine. !OMFG!

I would suggest a more equitable Sliding Scale as follows:

1. Possession full 3 reel payout SLOT..........1 year hard time in the Pokey on bread and water, $50,000 fine, plus 10 years
probation.
2. Possession "ALLWIN"................. 6 months in the Slammer under hard labor, $25,000 fine, plus a life restriction on the
use of anything requiring a coin.
3. Possession of a Coin Drop.......... 3 months House Arrest, $5,000 fine, plus read the book, "The Evils of Gambling".

4. Possession "PEPPY THE CLOWN".........issue warning only to stay out of penny arcades housing gaming devices.

I have spent 60 years collecting Coin=ops and dodging the gaming authorities. Thankfully, I never ended up in the
"POKEY" having operated under the alias "ROGER".

Are gaming laws enforced in your neck of the woods ??? !PUNISH!
walternewton

Re: Headed For The Hoosegow

Post by walternewton »

How about a little more info.

What's your town?

Where is your town?

When did this happen?
roger

Post by roger »

MEMO TO: Walter Newton..........SORRY.. You sound like the "FUZZ"

There"s nobody home but us chickens....ROGER !!HAHA!!
walternewton

Post by walternewton »

roger wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:41 pm MEMO TO: Walter Newton..........SORRY.. You sound like the "FUZZ"

There"s nobody home but us chickens....ROGER !!HAHA!!
Er ... I live in Colorado, and I don't know any law enforcement in Britain.

I was just curious, I thought collecting antique coin operated machines was legal in Britain.

I was bloody surprised by your post.

Thus my question.
roger

Post by roger »

I'm from the U.S. and have heard about many other confiscations of slots in States other than my own.

I have also read many articles in the Forum about gaming authorities in the U.K.....perhaps some lawyers
in our Club can clarify the situation in Britain.

I have also been asked what my reference to CHICKENS was all about. Well, back in the 1950s we had
a toe-tapping tune called "There's nobody here but us Chickens".. !!RAYOF!! !!RAYOF!! ROGER %|%
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It is legal in UK.
However .....
You can buy them, own them and play them as long as you are the owner.
But .......
You can't alter or even repair them (coin jam !!) let alone sell one unless you give your personal details to the authorities and buy a one year permit per machine.
They don't like issuing more than a few permits to an individual, nor is there any guarantee they will be renewed the following year. They have been quoted as saying that if multiple or repeat permits are asked for then the assumption may be taken that you are a dealer which can involve you personally with The Inspector of taxes and The VAT levies (currently 20%).

Personally I believe that in The UK their true targets are the Taxi Offices and Kebab Shops with an unauthorised AWP, slightly out of view which means loss of income to the government.
The worldwide reaction against 3 reelers and similar machines of chance I've always thought is likely to be a hangover from the days of organised crime.
Curiously the elderly old geezers I've ever come across in the world of such machines are much more likely to be involved in offers they can't understand than any other sort.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Well, that's got the chickens sorted out.
Now, why would someone be on his was to an inhabitant of the State of Indiana?
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

In a number of States in the US it is illegal to own a gaming machine such as Connecticut, Hawaii, Nebraska, South Carolina and Tennessee.
That even means that if you were transporting a machine across the US, and to get from A to B, as an example travelling from Denver, Colorado to Minneapolis, Minnesota your direct route would to take you through Nebraska one of these banned States, you would literally have to drive around the State and not into any part of it. Quite severe penalties, not least confiscation of the machine never to be seen again, to the point that with the transportation of valuable antique slot machines it isn't worth running the risk of being caught.
I know a collector who has a Polk sit down figure, rare as hens' teeth, in one of these banned States, in his family home that was part of his late Father's collection of other amusement and pinball machines. He has to have it covered up and hidden and doesn't show it to anyone. He can't bear to part with it as he fondly remembers as a child playing it. His Father had painted 5c coins with gold paint that were sitting in the machine tray so that he and his brother could play the machine with the coins, but couldn't run off and spend them.
He even remembers as a child being with his Father when he bought the machine (out of State) and transported it back home on a flat bed truck under the cover of darkness and covered with a tarpaulin. On the way home the truck suffered a puncture to one of the tyres and he always remembers his Father hurriedly changing the wheel for fear a highway patrol may at any minute stop to offer assistance and inadvertently discover his cargo!
walternewton

Post by walternewton »

roger wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:16 pm I'm from the U.S. and have heard about many other confiscations of slots in States other than my own.

I have also read many articles in the Forum about gaming authorities in the U.K.....perhaps some lawyers
in our Club can clarify the situation in Britain.

I have also been asked what my reference to CHICKENS was all about. Well, back in the 1950s we had
a toe-tapping tune called "There's nobody here but us Chickens".. !!RAYOF!! !!RAYOF!! ROGER %|%
Sorry for assuming you lived across "the pond."

But no, I'm not the fuzz.

The only thing fuzzy about me is my mind, at 68-year-old, it's going fast.

I was one of the supporters of the antique slot machine legislation in Texas back in the 70s.

Before that, Texas law enforcement was actually very active in hunting down machines and confiscating them from collectors.

Colorado allows private ownership of slots and gaming machines, so not a problem here.
roger

Post by roger »

My "tongue in cheek" post on gaming laws and penalties was meant to inspire a change in this situation.

Fellow member " walternewton" deserves a word of praise for having changed the gaming laws in Texas.

**xXx** ROGER **xXx**
Last edited by roger on Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I was one of the supporters of the antique slot machine legislation in Texas back in the 70s.

Before that, Texas law enforcement was actually very active in hunting down machines and confiscating them from collectors.

Colorado allows private ownership of slots and gaming machines, so not a problem here.
[/quote]

Unlike US law enforcement, and varying in degree from State to State, dependant upon the individual State District Attorney's office and their views on how strictly the Law on private ownership of gambling devices should be enforced, here in good old Merry England there would be more chance of Robin Hood turning up to confiscate your machine and clap you in irons than our law enforcement.
roger

Post by roger »

"tung (sic) in cheek"..........now that is a TUNGUE IN CHEEK...........Perhaps Mr. P. or our Moderators willl explain

how to make a correction on a post. ROGER !PUZZLED!........................

FORGET THE ABOVE.....I finally was able to make the change but I'm not quite sure how I did it. ROGER
Last edited by roger on Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

*or even 'Tongue'