Allwin Punch and Judy keys

General vintage slot machine related topics.
flyer58uk

Allwin Punch and Judy keys

Post by flyer58uk »

Hi all

I have just purchased a Allwins Punch and Judy. The seller has said she left the keys in the coin tray 🤔 but in transit the keys seem to have gone inside.
What’s the best approach to this? Is it a case of drilling the lock and replacing, or am I going to find more issues if I do this when the door is open?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
pennymachines

Re: Allwin Punch and Judy keys

Post by pennymachines »

Hi flyer58uk, and welcome!

Many of us have fallen prey to this one. :dammit:

It's not very heavy - have you tried turning it upside-down above a mattress or similar, shaking and manipulating it like a giant ball-in-the-hole game? If it's not got lots of coins in it, you might have a chance.

Otherwise, if you have some similar keys, you could give them a go (it's a fairly simple lock). It's also quite cheap, so drilling and replacing, as you suggest, might be the answer. Done with care, no damage should result.

Other options - picking the lock, or removing the ply back (probably requiring a new piece of ply).
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

flyer58uk wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:33 pm Hi all

I have just purchased a Allwins Punch and Judy. The seller has said she left the keys in the coin tray 🤔 but in transit the keys seem to have gone inside.
What’s the best approach to this? Is it a case of drilling the lock and replacing, or am I going to find more issues if I do this when the door is open?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Was this by chance the Punch and Judy 'restoration' by the lady who painted it up like a dogs dinner and had it on eBay for £1,500
brigham

Post by brigham »

moonriver wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:25 am
Was this by chance the Punch and Judy 'restoration' by the lady who painted it up like a dogs dinner and had it on eBay for £1,500
In which case recovering the keys will be the easy part of the restoration!
restoman

Post by restoman »

If the front fits inside the case (as most allwins) the lock usually only goes a couple of millimetres into the case side and you can usually use a suitable lever/wedge between front and case to make a big enough gap to ‘spring ‘ the case open without doing any damage.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

restoman wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:20 pm If the front fits inside the case (as most allwins) the lock usually only goes a couple of millimetres into the case side and you can usually use a suitable lever/wedge between front and case to make a big enough gap to ‘spring ‘ the case open without doing and damage.
Plus, what's the worst that could happen!?
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

restoman wrote:you can usually use a suitable lever/wedge between front and case to make a big enough gap to ‘spring ‘ the case open without doing and damage

Seen too many cases damaged this way - if all is lost then open up the back, at least any damage is then out of sight.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

arrgee wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:37 pm
restoman wrote:you can usually use a suitable lever/wedge between front and case to make a big enough gap to ‘spring ‘ the case open without doing and damage

Seen too many cases damaged this way - if all is lost then open up the back, at least any damage is then out of sight.
It would be a shame to damage the MDF
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I use these inflatable shims to ease the frame and pop the latch.
These Buggers
They distribute the energy over a much wider area, lessening the chance of fracturing the wood

BP !PUNISH!
Attachments
pw1.jpg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Blooming heck BP, that looks like a very nasty medical implement, especially with the words 'auto entry' printed on it !! :!: :shock: