Questions for Arthur Bolland

General vintage slot machine related topics.
pennymachines

Questions for Arthur Bolland

Post by pennymachines »

I recently received an invitation to chat to Arthur Frederick Spencer Bolland, son of Arthur William Spencer Bolland (and nephew of Frederick Charles Bolland). He recalls, "each and every one of these models being made in my dad's workshop in Northampton". It occurred to me that other members of the Forum, some of whom are more knowledgable about Bolland's working models, might be glad of the chance to solve some mysteries.

I've created a Forum account for Arthur, and he should be available to answer questions after 14th Sept., so in the meantime, if you think of anything, please post it to this topic. !!THUMBSX2!!
moonriver

Re: Questions for Arthur Bolland

Post by moonriver »

How very exciting! Off the top of my head;
there are some very obscure and later Clown Head case models that have appeared and I'd like to ask Arthur if these were 'one offs'?
Man on the Moon,
Old Mill,
The Attic
The Bloody Tower ( slim cabinet)
Frank-n-Stein ( slim cabinet)
and I'd love to know if they ever made two ( or more) of the same model specifically in the Clown Head cases, as they did with other multiple models?

I'd like to ask about the Witches Cave models as there are a few different versions with completely different scenes inside and why, as it doesn't seem to be a using up what props they had to hand for the Witches Caves, they are completely different?

I'd like to ask what Bolland considered to be their best performing model?

I'd like to ask about the 'one off' models made following a commission from an individual, as some of these models have never left the family they were made for?

I have an original photo presumably from the Bolland workshop showing a line of models with a clown head cabinet 'Love Test' in the line , and I'd love to know if Bolland made any more of these Love Test machines?

I like to ask about the volumes and numbers of models produced, and what determined how many of a particular type, and whether runs of the same model were produced at the same time? ( say making 4 x Burglars within the week).

I'd like to know who designed some of the more complex movements within the models, as its a lot more than just using the crane mech. For example the drunk man sitting on the gravestone in the Haunted Churchyard leans forward and turns his head right and left all within the same movement, but all that is achieved with a very clever and simple fixed hoop bracket with moving rod passing through it. Easy to make and copy, but very clever to design in the first place?

I'd like to ask about rivalry between working model manufacturers of the day, and who thought up the new themes for the models produced?

The 'Pharos' fortune teller models all had slightly different variations, and many differ on the castings. There are different faces of the pharoah and different front plate castings which must all have been more time consuming and cost more to do and it's very nice, but I wondered why they didn't have all the same?

I'd like to ask about the wide case clown head models (made from the converted kitchen cabinets), and approx what year these were made from and to?
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

How many Pharos were made and over what period?
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

How many "Hell's Kitchen" were produced and when?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

20 seasons of it were filmed. It's all HERE
Then I think a combination of people getting fed up with Gordon Ramsay's language and attitude plus his own restaurant empire going bankrupt put paid to it.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

!!HYSTERIA!!
scorpa163

Post by scorpa163 »

moonriver wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:46 pm How very exciting! Off the top of my head;
Bloody hell! if that’s on top your head , what's inside it?
It’s a pity this knowledge could not be passed on in the form of a book, but it would be a labour of love, and not commercially viable.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I think a memoir from one of the Bolland family is an excellent idea !!IDEA!!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Another question please. Can Arthur confirm if they made the 'Wishiwell ' fortune teller we discussed on the forum, and was it a 'one off'?
Amongst other similarities to a Bolland machine, the rotating roll on the Wishiwell lists questions identical to their Pharos machine.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Is Arthur here yet? !!YIPPEE!!