BDR 'Breadbin' bandit

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: BDR lock & Key

Post by badpenny »

I'm not offering anything Dave, I've already measured up my spare locks and haven't anything with so short a barrel.
BP :NBG:
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

I’ve ordered a couple of blank keys and will try to make one to fit.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Will you tell Mr. PM or shall I?

BP :cool:
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Oh bugger, I keep mixing you two up, sorry
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Dislexia rules KO!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Dislexia slures KO!

I've corrected that for you bryans fan
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

These locks come in various neck depths depending on the use, obviously short necks for metal doors/drawers etc and longer necks for wooden doors etc. I got many from a local recycling yard when they turned up on mass in locker doors and old desk drawers. If you can match the brands then not an issue to swap necks over and internals if you have the key, just means notching the key to suit the shorter or longer neck, done this many times. Not really a prob to have a slightly longer neck sticking out though.
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Update, managed to buy a couple of blanks, took the lock apart and worked out where the grooves needed to be
Attachments
41646056-0916-4D62-AD90-4C86B7719C20a.jpg
132667AE-20E3-4D30-8212-02B43D9C92C0a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Cool, so that's you all done yeah?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

BDR bandit intricacies and cash box

Post by badpenny »

Topic split from BDR Flyer, moved & merged - Site Admin.

Any chance somebody could please post a good, straight, face on photo of the Union Jack as seen on the left side of a BDR?

I need to make a transfer/decal. Also an idea of the dimensions would help thanks.

Cheers BP
geordy55

Re: BDR bandit intricacies and cash box

Post by geordy55 »

Jeremy, message me your e mail and I’ll send one to you. I scanned and re drew the Union Jack on my BDR.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Cheers Dave, PMd
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It might be useful to add to Resources. |/XX\|
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Naturally.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Another request please, this time the cashbox.
Could someone post a side, end and plan elevation with dimensions please? I seem to remember the lid is on the top with square 'oles for overfill, the bottom has a locating hole and the front end a tag on the bottom to locate in a slot.
All help gratefully received along with any food or grubby cash you can donate too.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

If you're not into BDRs or already know all of this, this will bore you. Actually even if you are it may still bore you ..... !PUNISH!

Sadly nobody came up with dimensions, shapes etc as per my request above, so foolishly relying on my addled memory and scrutinising the gap it fits into, with my scrutoscope, I made this.
Incidentally any of the following photos may be seen larger by clicking on them, sadly a method that has never succeeded with works of art of Linda Lusardi Page 3
From the front
From the front

The two squarish holes in the lid match the two overflow chutes, the nearest from the two jack pot banks and one furthest away and set at an angle from the pay out tube.

On its side showing the base
On its side showing the base

Shows the hole that fits over the 1/2" peg that protrudes from the base of the mech to secure it. Also the side tang that slides into the slot at the front, also for securing purposes.

The 'ole the cash box fits into
The 'ole the cash box fits into

A = The massive, robust ratchet arm (at rest) will descend to alongside the lower position
B = Difficult to see, but that is the spinning vane on the action clock (it's edge on so, invisible, side issue BDRs have two clock governors)
C = The two overflow chutes (one behind the other) that feed the box
D = The 1/2" diameter peg that locates into the bottom of the cash box
E = The slot that the side tang slides into.

So all of the above must be taken into account when making the box, so it doesn't foul the clock vane, come loose, line up with the two overflow chutes; wake you up with a nice cup of tea.
I used 0.8 mm alooo'me'num as they say in Americaland. I vaguely remember the originals were spot welded, however my acne stopped when I was 20.

Shortly I shall add the plan with dimensions to Resources along with the graphics I used for the Union flag on the side.

Another fiddly interesting bit about BDRs (Strewth is he never going to shut up?)
If you have one have you ever noticed this?

On the left side, facing the machine.
On the left side, facing the machine.

I had never gotten to the bottom of its purpose. Another slotty mate explained that if you pull it out it dumps the contents of the pay out tube out of the bottom of the machine and through a hole and into your hand (if you put it there). Pondering no further as to why an operator should want that to happen we moved onto more important issues, like why women are such funny chaps.
A few weeks later something happened to cause me to revisit this quandary. I was putting the obligatory 200 coins through the rebuilt mech to check continuity when a pay out failed.
I knew why, having done a nut and bolt tear down. It had occurred to me then that the spinning disc pay out was enclosed and depended upon it spinning in a gap exactly the width of three sixpence coins. However I hadn't made the next logical step which was "How do you free it if ....
a thin coin allows coin number 4 to start to slip into the gap and jam the motion?"
Or ....
a bent coin jams the spinning disc in the same way?" The solution of removing the handle to remove the case, to start stripping out the coin tube and pay out mech blah, blah, blah, did not appeal.
Then it occurred to me that the metal slidey out bit wasn't actually directly under the coin tube, it was under the hole in the disc that held the next three coins for paying out, just a few degrees on from the tube above. So pulling it out only dislodges the three 6d coins in the disc and out of the bottom which will include the misshapen one(s) and doesn't interfere with the £s worth of tanners in the tube.

With the case removed you can see the slot for a screwdriver to get into and the anvil against which you lever.
With the case removed you can see the slot for a screwdriver to get into and the anvil against which you lever.

Self explanatory I hope
Self explanatory I hope

Explains I hope my wordy description how easy it is to jam the spinning disc, and what a superb solution without even having to open the door let alone remove the case.
Explains I hope my wordy description how easy it is to jam the spinning disc, and what a superb solution without even having to open the door let alone remove the case.

That's it for now, you may all go home.

BP !!THUMBSX2!! :cool:
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

badpenny wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:33 pm I had never gotten to the bottom of its purpose. Another slotty mate explained that if you pull it out it dumps the contents of the pay out tube out of the bottom of the machine and through a hole and into your hand (if you put it there). Pondering no further as to why an operator should want that to happen we moved onto more important issues, like why women are such funny chaps.
A few weeks later something happened to cause me to revisit this quandary. I was putting the obligatory 200 coins through the rebuilt mech to check continuity when a pay out failed.
I knew why, having done a nut and bolt tear down. It had occurred to me then that the spinning disc pay out was enclosed and depended upon it spinning in a gap exactly the width of three sixpence coins. However I hadn't made the next logical step which was "How do you free it if ....
a thin coin allows coin number 4 to start to slip into the gap and jam the motion?"
Or ....
a bent coin jams the spinning disc in the same way?" The solution of removing the handle to remove the case, to start stripping out the coin tube and pay out mech blah, blah, blah, did not appeal.
Then it occurred to me that the metal slidey out bit wasn't actually directly under the coin tube, it was under the hole in the disc that held the next three coins for paying out, just a few degrees on from the tube above. So pulling it out only dislodges the three 6d coins in the disc and out of the bottom which will include the misshapen one(s) and doesn't interfere with the £s worth of tanners in the tube.
That’s what I said !
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Yes, yes you did Dave. And that's why I said "Another slotty mate explained that if you pull it out it dumps the contents of the pay out tube out of the bottom of the machine and through a hole and into your hand (if you put it there)."
!!COOEE!!
geordy55

BDR reels spinning slowly

Post by geordy55 »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

My BDR top reel is spinning slowly and it seems to be because the ‘win pin’ starts to touch the lower win cog as soon as the sequence starts.
Has anyone experienced this and know a fix for it ?
Attachments
41A1AA5E-E744-4CAE-BC8C-ED11B8CCBE34a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: BDR reels spinning slowly

Post by badpenny »

Follow the vertical "win pin" down to the bottom and you'll see a step in it.
The horizontal bar that interacts with that step slides forward when the handle reaches tip over, and holds the "win pin" down and clear of the spinning reels above.
It's like the catch on a three reeler attached to the timing bar that waits until the fingers have been released, and then lets go of the slide bundle.