Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
thunder

Making mirror signs

Postby thunder » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:05 pm

Can anybody advise where to have a reverse painted mirror sign made for a palm reader?
Mine is in a sorry state - the silver has disintegrated and the gold lettering has flaked off. !PUZZLED!

grabber

Re: mirror sign

Postby grabber » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:37 pm

Most print shops will be able to make a sign for you. I have had transfers made for the Electric Travelling Crane
and also a mirrored sign for a gipsy fortune teller. The sign shop put gold coloured letters on top of the mirrored glass, then clear glass was placed on top of that. I think it worked very well.

thunder

Re: mirror sign

Postby thunder » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:49 pm

Thanks for the info on that.
!THUMBS!

pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Mirror sign

Postby pennymachines » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:35 am

There are companies offering sand-blasting, acid etching, and colour screen back printing (transparent & opaque) of mirrors. For a one-off mirror, it's going to be pricey, I'm sure, but may be worth it for a valuable machine like the Palmist, especially if you can round up the other owners of Palmists and make a few. Almost all of these machines have lost their mirroring.
I've had a simple BMCo top sign done, which came out very well. The lettering was sandblasted into the mirror, then hand painted and backed. It didn't cost a great deal, but I suspect the company is out of business now.

Just a couple I googled:
Orchard Glass
2K Mirror UK

jimmycowman

Postby jimmycowman » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:47 pm

I've got to re-create a BMCo top sign. I've got the top wood bit, missing the mirror...... Is there a simple way of doing it DIY????

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:13 pm

The simplest alternative to sandblasting stencilled letters and back-painting, would be Grabber's suggestion above.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:32 pm

This is how I did it. Bought the game in the USA without a marquee. Later picked up the wood on UK eBay. Cut a piece of old mirror with suitable ageing. Then bought some stick on sheet from a sign store that is made for sand blasting. Acts as a resist, but thick soft tape will do the same thing as long as the pressure is low. Found an original advert in that Honk Kong Works catalogue I seem to remember and blew it up to size and copied it. Then just had to lay the artwork over the film and cut away with a sharp scalpel. Blasted with low pressure as only needed to remove the paint and silver which is dead easy. Then painted in the colors needed. Tried my hardest to add the small lettering along the bottom edge that says BMCO etc, but was too small to cut the letters good enough so eventually abandoned that. Was very happy with the result though.

As for the separate mirror behind the artwork. My father owns a stunning "Matrimonial Bureau" 6 draw card vendor that looks to be BMCO with a Bollands name. The front glass is hand painted reverse on glass with a mirror behind, and the marquee is reverse screened with a mirror behind. Both appear original so i think this method was being used back in the day too.
lucky stars.jpg
lucky star stencil.jpg
Stencilling hand cut ready to blast!
lucky star blasted.jpg
After sand blasting with low pressure.
lucky star painted.jpg
After painting the blasted glass can't been seen from the front, but it does provide an excellent base for the paint to stick to.
lucky star mirror 3.jpg
Finished mirror with aged silvering.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:59 pm

I knew we'd get you to give away your mirror painting trade secrets eventually Gameswat. !WINK!
I particularly like the old oxidized mirror glass idea.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:36 am

Gameswat, I'm starting to believe that on the seventh day you didn't rest at all, I think you invented clever stuff for slot machines.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:34 am

I try....but if you look too close it's just an illusion, all sand and mirrors. !!HIDING!!