Achieving crackle paint effect à la Bryans

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
wembleylion

Re: Achieving crackle paint effect à la Bryans

Post by wembleylion »

Searching around for Rust-oleum paints I found this Rusto-leum video of their crackle base and finish coat products in use. (I like the idea of a cup of tea before making a start). It suggests any vinyl matt emulsion paint can be used with their crackle products. It is brush applied but the crackles follow a grid pattern because the second vinyl coat is applied 90 degrees to the first vinyl coat. This seems to confirm that other patterns could possibly be achieved, like the random Bryan's finish.
The Rust-oleum crackle 'system' appears to be available from DIY chains, B&Q, Homebase etc. for around £7.00 per tin.

This is a link to the Rust-oleum crackle finish web page from where the video comes.. http://www.rustoleumspraypaint.com/how- ... nt-effect/

John
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

A problem with using Rust-oleum products (for restoration purposes) is that their crackle base coats don't match the colours used by Bryans.
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

I understood from the Rust-oleum website that the base coat is clear so I presume that an underlying colour will show through the cracks.
In the video it appears to me that the girl is applying the clear crackle base coat over a beige emulsion undercoat.

On the B&Q web page both the Rust-oleum base and top coats are listed as clear and there are no other colour options.

John
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Oh, right - sounds useful then. I look forward to seeing the results you get.
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

I purchased some Rust-oleum Crackle Base to see what, if any, other patterns I could make other than the standard grid style. (I have not used the Crackle Top coat on these test pieces)

Following the instructions (to the letter) of brushed straight lines for the first emulsion coat followed by brushed Crackle Base following the first emulsion coat lines and then the second, 10% thinned, emulsion coat at right angles to the first and I got this standard grid pattern. The larger cracks are where the emulsion coat is thicker.
Crackle Squares Snipped.PNG

Trying to alter the pattern I tried crisscrossing the brush strokes. Where the top emulsion coat is thin the cracks have followed the brush strokes but where it is thicker the cracks are more random.
Crackle Crosses Snipped.PNG

Another attempt; but this time by revolving the brush whilst moving it in straight lines. Where the emulsion is thin the cracks appear to have followed a curved track but where the emulsion is thicker the cracks are again more random.
Crackle Circles Snipped.PNG

The last attempt was with a roller and this has just made random cracks; where the emulsion is thin the effect appears more like crazing than cracking. The un-cracked area at the top is because the second emulsion coat is too thick here. The instruction say not to work the paint, just lay it on, as this can mix the Crackle Base and the emulsion.
Crackle Roller Snipped.PNG

I quite liked the rollered finish running across just up from the bottom and tried to reproduce this again but with no luck, just a crazed effect; I think I over thinned the second emulsion coat. I think the viscosity of the emulsion and the thickness of the coating are crucial to the repeatable success with this finish.

The instructions say that practice is required to get a repeatable effect; a great deal of practice if you are trying to get away from the standard grid pattern, me thinks.

John
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Wembley, took me four days of experimentation to figure out all the variables! Atmospheric conditions change the effects too. Well worth the effort though to get it right as such a major part of many Bryans machines.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Forum member Alan tells me that ISF Coatings of Leicester produce a Bryans-style crackle paint process (called something like Cracklack) which can be made up to any desired colour. He also showed me some samples which looked good. See their gallery.
Attachments
Black Crackle Fine.JPG
Black Crackle Fine.JPG (27.95 KiB) Viewed 3557 times