Achieving crackle paint effect à la Bryans

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hello John,
You have two options (apart from leaving as is).
If the finish is not too far gone you could go for the touch-up approach. Using acrylic paints and carefully mixing the colours to match you can fill in the chips, scratches and bald bits, then apply a clear protective varnish to give an even glaze. Make sure you test the effect of applying the varnish first as this will tend to darken and intensify the acrylic colours. This can work well, depending upon the degree of damage and your skill.

Basically, the crackle finish is achieved by applying an outer coat of paint over a contrasting undercoat of slower drying paint. The outer coat sets and is then crazed and broken up as the undercoat shrinks. I seem to recall the commercial process involves seven coats including primer and protective varnish.

I met a collector who obtained the correct crackle paints and succeeded after some trial and error in re-doing a couple of Hidden Treasures. I wouldn't care to try it myself. The paints are expensive and lots can go wrong if you're not an experienced paint sprayer. The results depend upon evenness and thickness of the layers, time between applications and room temperature and humidity. I guess you could try experimenting with various cheap and readily available paints in an effort to replicate the effect. Here are some ideas.

The alternative is to get the job done professionally. There are a couple of companies that can still produce these finishes, one in Essex; the other in the Midlands. They're not cheap and unfortunately I don't have their addresses, but some of our Forum members do.

Check out the Clock patent on the patents page - this explains in some detail the functions of various parts of the mechanism. The only other guide is the operator's instruction sheet (hopefully) stuck on the inside of the machine.
Last edited by duckiezoo22f on Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crackle paint à la Bryans

Post by Guest »

Topic moved and merged - Site Admin.

Hi.
I have just been fortunate enough to buy a Bryan's 'Twelvewin' in crackle finish. Machine functions well but in need of a stripdown and renovation.
Can anyone advise me the best way to attempt restoration of crackle finish and if there are any books or articles on the working functions etc.
Thanks John
Last edited by duckiezoo22f on Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bryans fan

Crackle Finish

Post by bryans fan »

I agree with the site admin, depending on how badly damaged/missing the paint is I feel the best answer is to hand touch in the missing areas.
I have sucessfully restored the red and blue crackle finish on my clock and on a castle top case.
I used acrylic for the red and "Plasticote" odds`n` Ends fast dry enamel for the blue. I bought a night blue and black and mixed the two to the correct colour. Once finished went over with clear satin spirit based varnish.
This does raise the interesting debate on restoration or conservation. I believe that a machine that is 70 years old is ok to look her age. To repaint a case from scratch means you end up with something looking too new.
Less is more in my book. My opinions have changed over the years and now I feel I may have over restored machines 10 years ago.
As stated the patent drawings and operators instructions go a long way to make sense of the mech. Good luck.

Crackle Finish

Post by Guest »

Thanks very much for the tips. The crackle finish is very good all round with the exception of the top and on the edge of the base. I will go for trying to touch in with the paints suggested.
John.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Crackle finish

Post by coin-op »

Has anyone any experience of reproducing the crackle finish found on Bryans machines. As far as I can see you use a water based emulsion base coat of one colour, then apply a proprietary intermediate crackle retarder and finally a top coat of another water based emulsion of another colour. However, has anyone ever done this and is it that simple? Also, is it preferable to apply by spray application?
Bent Copper

Post by Bent Copper »

Plasti-kote do a crackle finish which is a reasonable match for Bryans. Not exact, of course, but Bryans did different colours. You just spray it on.

http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Product/pc ... lour_chart
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Here is a link to the process:
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_faux_f ... 70,00.html
Based on this procedure, you can select any paint colors you wish.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Thanks for both replies. I think I will try the latter method..when our weather improves! I'll let you know how it works out; but that will probably be a few months off.
gameswat

Retreeva

Post by gameswat »

A question for all the single ladies, oops that's another forum, this is a question for all the single lady Retreeva owners! Currently restoring mine (#200) and just about to start painting. But wondering about the base wood, was the bottom of the cabinet painted in any way? And are there any kind of feet attached? Also wondering about the interior of the case, mine was sprayed with a dark stain that covered everything even the coin chute tin screwed inside. It could be original or possibly a dealer refurbishment to cover oil stains etc to help sell the game? Cheers you guys...and gals.
longbobongo

Re: Retreeva

Post by longbobongo »

Hi Gameswat,

Can you tell me where your serial number is on your Retreeva. Does it have a serial number on the case and the internals? !PUZZLED!

Any chance of a picture of the area were the number is located on the internals?

Or anybody else out there.......

Many Thanks
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hi, I can't find a serial on the mech but I haven't pulled that down yet so could be one hiding somewhere? The number is stamped onto the inside of the top piece of Mahogony on the door, and also stamped into the bottom of the cashbox tin. Someone had also pencilled the number onto the back panel inside the cabinet, this was over the top of the dark laquer- like stain. My cabinet has the crackle finish paint by the way.
Attachments
retreeva serials.jpg
longbobongo

Post by longbobongo »

Thanks for the photo Gameswat. I never noticed the serial number in the tray, only the one on the lock panel.

My Retreeva is crackle finish and the bottom part is also crackle, except on the inside area, which is just the standard oak case colour.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey bob, thanks for your help. Guess my cabinet interior stain was original then since the plywood they used is naturally light blonde. Interesting the way they painted the mechs on these - the whole door was assembled first onto the mahogany frame and then they just sprayed the whole thing, with overspray on all the wood. Also interesting the way they did the crackle. On stripping the cabinet of many layers of old paint, I found that the first layer is actually metallic pale blue laquer as used on the mechs! Photo showing this is a splinter of the back panel that had to be replaced. Then the white undercoat (yellowed with age), crackle medium and then the dark blue. Bryan must've gotten a pallet load of that lacquer cheap to be able to use it as wood sealer!! The cabinet is almost ready for paint so will start experimenting on the paint in the next few days.
Attachments
retreeva paint.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Almost finished my Retreeva cabinet, just a tad more aging to get it right. Though what a hell of a job! This was a rough cabinet to start with and had to be pulled right down and needed much gluing of veneer, a new back and base. This is probably the most costly cabinet I've ever painted if you take into account the days of rebuilding, then paint experimenting, product and actual painting time. Good grief, and I've painted well over 250 machines in my day!! The only way I could get the crackle to work properly was laying horizontal, otherwise the weight of the paint drags it down and ruins the effect. So that meant painting it in stages with masked off areas. I spayed the crackle agent and top coat to get as even an effect as Bryans did but even so the cracks have a mind of their own. I think i was getting a little better by the end but i did rub several layers off and start again. And my backyard is littered with scraps of wood I played with. I'm quite happy with the finished look which is very close to what my machine had under all those layers of gunk. .
Attachments
retreeva.JPG
retreeva lhd.jpg
retreeva back.jpg
Last edited by gameswat on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john t peterson

Gamesboy,

Looking at that last photo of your workshop suggests you work BAREFOOTED! !OMFG! True??

J Peterson
Fashion Police, USA
gameswat

experipaintmental

Post by gameswat »

JP - GOOD LORD - don't even think of trying to walk in there barefoot, I cut glass on the floor all the time and it's a minefield of tiny shards all over the place. I buy vintage mirrors at my local dump for a few dollars and use them for my restos. If you hold the glass side on you can find the early ones with a lovely pale yellow colour, and they have tiny scratches from age which look right. A little bit of work to strip the backing off but well worth it.

Those are just my skating shoes that I brought in as it looked like a chance of rain. Found them at an abandoned backyard pool we skate about 3 months ago, and after a little restoration to the heels with Shoe Goo they're still going strong %|% In case you hadn't guessed - I don't do retail.

Pic of most of my crackle tests.
Attachments
experipaintmental_1.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That's dedication. Looking at your yard I can't help wondering if their is a Mrs Gameswat or if they're just more forgiving than our version.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

My girlfriend loves machines and all the mayhem that comes with them. She bought her first machine recently in fact. My yard is especially messy since we had a perfect hail storm earlier this year - causing much trouble. Otherwise my backyard is pretty standard Aussie fare. I do have a little skate ramp out there.
Attachments
backyard ramp.jpg
rory pipe.jpg
john t peterson

Note to the uninitiated: Games-Boy built the full-pipe himself, too.
The only thing the boy's missing is a medical degree so he can treat himself for the various injuries suffered by virtue of his seemingly boundless talents.

J Peterson
Your American Observer
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

:lol: JP, it got the name of "Behemoth", which would infer not so little, maybe Widowmaker would be more apt?! My body doesn't seem to mend like it once did.