Waterslide decal paper for laser or inkjet printers

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
titanic

Re: Waterslide decal paper for laser or inkjet printers

Post by titanic »

Hi slotsoffun, great video. Have been thinking of getting some Waterslide paper for a while now, but wasn't too sure about using it. After watching this, am definitely going to order some. Is there any difference between the brands of paper? How many coats of lacquer do you need to put on?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Mark , another great hot tip video and may give a try one day, maybe need to get a working printer first.

A couple things though, was the glass in the final clip the same one as I notices the red transfer went to the edge before spraying, suspect would have needed trimming before.

Secondly, one of the big issues with the replacement top flashes, jackpot glasses etc sold by one our well known parts dealers at all the auctions is where light needs to pass through. The original items have depth of colour that gives a bright presentation, whereas the reproduction efforts typically gives a wishy washy appearance when the lights are on, have you tried this, are the transfers similar when used on an ink jet printer?
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

Hi Treefrog,
The glass was the same one throughout, I deliberately extended the transfer to the far left edge as you don't see this part through the opening.
In terms of wishy wash colours, if you print using photo paper setting, set to High Quality (takes a bit longer to print) the colours are more vibrant, and you avoid the "streaking" you often find when printing a large area with colour.
You can also control how much light goes through the graphic by the number of coats of matt white spray on the rear. The more layers of spray, the richer the colours appear.

Titanic. All the water slide papers sold through eBay are pretty much the same. As for coating in lacquer only a thin light coating is required. If you make it too thick the water slide is too stiff and doesn't settle in to the contours of the item you place it on. One thing I forgot to show on the video (ended up on the cutting room floor during editing - I've always wanted to say that!!!!) was when you use the paper towel to soak up excess water, gently roll the towel to squeeze out air bubbles from under the decal. Glad the video was of use.
coppinpr

Waterslide decal paper for laser or inkjet printers

Post by coppinpr »

Great video, very well done. Would it not be better in the "tips and tricks" section (MrP?)

Moved- Site Admin. !THUMBS!