What bandit to restore?

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
widget2k4

Re: What bandit to restore?

Post by widget2k4 »

Bloody hell 125 quid!
Time I sold mine then. lol
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks again for your advice (and your offer of help coppinpr) - seems a bit like spending all your dosh on a good wallet then having no money left to put in it! :#: But looking at my "vintage slot machines buyers price guide" which has some very basic info on how they work, it seems a manual is indeed essential if I'm not going to write off a good machine through ignorance (which I am blessed with plenty of) :smash:
I notice there are several pictorial guides for different makes, e.g. Jennings, Pace, etc. though Mills seeming to be most common bandit. Sorry if it's a daft question but are the different makes much the same inside so that if I got a Mills guide, for example, it would give me enough info for most common bandits?
Either way I think I will start at the beginning and get myself a bandit to work on, possibly at Coventry auction, so I know what I'm looking at, then get a suitable manual before I cause too much damage. !READ!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

They are much the same, but most are based on the Mills.
At the right price, and bearing in mind the case......"needs some TLC" this might suit you:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152737759361?rmvSB=true

All Aristo's are pretty much indestructible, this one could easy live again.
brianh wrote:I will start at the beginning and get myself a bandit to work on, possibly at Coventry auction, so I know what I'm looking at, then get a suitable manual
Yeah, right you're going to buy a machine, open it up, then not touch it till the manual arrives... I can see that happening. :lol:

widget2k4 wrote:Bloody hell 125 quid
Time I sold mine then lol
Actually, I don't think I'd part with mine for £125 and I suspect neither would you Widge. :lol:
Last edited by coppinpr on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Keith ....... If your eyes are shut, how did you read the book? !PUZZLED!
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Haha, I read the book first then never needed to look back at it again.
And yes I would certainly sell mine. lol
brianh

Post by brianh »

Yeah, right you're going to buy a machine, open it up, then not touch it till the manual arrives... I can see that happening. :lol:
Who said I wasn't going to touch it! 'fraid I tend to use manuals to find out where I went wrong, bit like getting a map out after I get lost which is why it took me 3 hours to get to Elephant House last time and got lost coming home :!?!:

Seriously though, take your point coppinpr! !!THUMBSX2!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I read the book first then never needed to look back at it again
Yes I did that but only because I couldn't remember where I'd put it let alone what was in it.

But now, no problem, next time I need to adjust the main operating fork assembly you can remind me. :lol:
brianh

Post by brianh »

Still not got my first Bandit (7 allwins later!) but have a chance of a Sega Mad Money locally. Looks to be in good working condition, only problem being it doesn't have the top box which seems to be a common attachment on the Mad Money ones. Holes are there to fit the box but they are blanked off.

Question is - are they fairly straightforward for a first bandit? I can live without the top box (though I did, in the 1960s, buy many copies of "Mad" mag !) and could maybe try to source one separately.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes good machine to have and reliable

Top boxes come up occasionally. There were three at the recent spares sale. I have sold a few on eBay and may do so again as have about 5 or 6 original shells and artwork.....moderators, not selling one though on here, I tend to stick on eBay or someone else may sell one. Not needed, just for looks
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks for advice treefrog, and will keep an eye on eBay for top box if I get it, and post a wanted ad on forum in case anyone has a spare one they are selling.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Go to B&Q buy yourself a thin sheet of metal and make one.

BP :cool:

PS ~ Top Box that is, not a bandit ……. you'd need about four bits of metal for one of those!
brianh

Post by brianh »

BP - I think you're confusing me with someone who knows what they are doing :!?!: Most of my handiwork keeps our local recycling centre busy :smash: :oops:

But I may, being serious for a few secs, have a crack at it - after all it can't really be that difficult can it ??? !PUZZLED!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Top Box Plan.jpg

Once you've got dimensions right you'd then fashion a strip which when bent forms the required shape blank at the back with a frame around the front. The graphic sits inside the front frame and a square of metal forms a back to it. Two pieces of chromed tube (B&Q bathroom fittings) will cover a couple of bolts to secure it.
You could also run wires up them if you wanted to fit a light inside. Coppinpr could help you with a suitable graphic.
Jobs a good'un and packed full of self satisfaction.

BP !!IDEA!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Ha ha BP you do make me chuckle.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Well late seeing this post but here's a list of my purchases and my experiences in them.

Jubilee Mk1 twin jackpots - The guys on here helped me a lot, and yes, no electric was a big plus. This was a good machine to get to grips with as you could open the front door straight up and remove the mech easily to work out what wasn't working then easily slot back in. Things like reels going slowly, handle pump not working etc, adjusting clock fins to get speed of reels correct etc.

Second was a Sega light up clone - Very easy to work on but access to mech is from the rear. Not too much a problem if you are leaving machine out somewhere but I didn't have a lot of space and the Jubilee could sit on a stand and I could remove the mech a lot quicker when it was playing up.

Third - British refurb of a German machine (the Roma, it's on this forum). This just involved me picking the locks and just playing it a lot as I was lucky in that it was all there but just gunked up.

Fourth - Sega Windsor. Not so good to get to grips with as it used electricity for solenoids on play cycles and of course electricity worries me a lot. I got there in the end but these have chrome doors and get pitted. Massively expensive to rechrome.

Fifth - Jubilee OXO (Powell's conversion). Easy to understand, it had two plays for one coin and this took some fixing, electric just used for lighting.

Sixth - Sega Continental - I'd avoid these like the plague; they are massively heavy; lot of brightware which gets pitted which is expensive to get done; even with the mech out they are like lifting a safe. The only ingenious thing about them is that the mech can be pulled forward still in the cabinet and has a swivel turntable at the bottom. I guess this explains why they are so heavy as they won't tip.

Seventh - Bally Gold Award - Nice size machine but all uses electric for coin in and out and got a sting off one; they burn out a lot (friend owns local amusement arcade in Pagham with around 20 Ballys and slowly they are dying out as he can't find replacement parts).

Eighth - Aristocrat Olympic (it's like an Arcadian mk2) - lovely machine to work on, easy to understand, electric only for lights, great starter machine. If you get a 1p one you can get the coin entry laser cut to take 20p coin, fabulous money box.

Ninth - Aristocrat Esprit - Another easy to understand machine, uses plastic reels and plastic cogs (which can wear), but it's simple and electric just for lighting.

So that's my take on the bandits I've bought and everybody on this forum has helped me with each and every purchase. I concur with the guys here: Jubilee or Aristocrat to get going. Take your time over it; don't rush in. Photos on ebay etc. can be deceptive to condition. Ask if you can view, play the machine, see if coins go in, pay out etc. Check the chrome work out. Is machine open? The times I've seen the words "we have no keys and the machine is locked but easy to drill out". Believe me, Ace locks are really hard to drill out and then you've still got to find the door opening component somehow through the drilled out hole. If the machine is open locks can easily be replaced and some locksmiths can rework a new key to fit the existing lock. Good luck with your hunt but be warned, you will end up buying more!!
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks for all your help and advice guys. !!THUMBSX2!!

Malcymal - lot of useful info there and will bear in mind. Hadn't intended getting more than 1 but, as your last comment confirms, that'll never happen! Got one Allwin 3 years ago just for the fun of getting it working and am now on number 7!
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Well there you go! They are addictive. Importantly too when you buy one get what moves you or will fit in the decor of the home. Too much emphasis placed on value of machines imo rather than what actually looks good on your eye. I’d rather have an aristocrat regal than a mills hi-top; burn each to their own and for me it’s about memories of playing the make and model when younger. Get something honest for about £250 that needs little work, paint jobs are relatively easy and good fun to do, if things needs major rechrome walk away, such as a Jennings ! I’m sure there are folk on here who have something tucked away who can message you with stuff they are willing to part with.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

There are often top boxes at Coventry (especially now you said you need one :lol: ). If the artwork is wrong, you can easily change it.
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks coppinpr but in fact I was outbid on that one by a computer app with 1 second to go !!RANT!! but if you see my subsequent post on the subject of a jubilee rivierra colossus -
(Postby coppinpr » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:49 am The payouts are, of course, harder to troubleshoot without seeing the machine. First thing to check is that the reel strips are on in the right positions, although unlikely. What makes me wonder is that it pays the jackpot. Oe of the basic mistakes made when replacing reel strips is to simply line up the BARS and think all the others will line up. The first thing to check is if the payouts are indeed random or are they paying on the same odd combinations each time).
- I bought the Jubilee instead. I am currently keeping a log of the payouts which, apart from one of the jackpot lines - COL-OS-SUS, which pays out correctly, the rest appear to be quite random with the symbols and the coin amounts. As a complete novice with bandits but keen to learn, may I then post the results and seek your (and brigham's who was also helpful) kind advice please on what to do next?
Many thanks......Brian (if this should be put on the jubilee rivierra post, apologies, and feel free to move it)
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The more info and photos you post the more we will help. :lol:
If they are truly random then it's possibly the fact that it's paying out WITHOUT any symbol combination. This can be caused by the slide brake not holding the slides back every time after the machine cycles. Dirt and small timing adjustment would be the most likely cause. The jackpot line paying out correctly would be because the jackpot releases all the slides and is overriding the error, if you see what I mean. What does the machine do on say 3 oranges? Anything? Random? Correct?
I was outbid on that one by a computer app with 1 second to go
I always use "esnipe" - that way you have as much chance as anyone else and (in the UK at least) it costs only $1 per item to use.