Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
widget2k4

Re: What bandit to restore?

Postby widget2k4 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:38 am

Bloody hell 125 quid!
Time I sold mine then. lol

brianh

Postby brianh » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks again for your advice (and your offer of help coppinpr) - seems a bit like spending all your dosh on a good wallet then having no money left to put in it! :#: But looking at my "vintage slot machines buyers price guide" which has some very basic info on how they work, it seems a manual is indeed essential if I'm not going to write off a good machine through ignorance (which I am blessed with plenty of) :smash:
I notice there are several pictorial guides for different makes, e.g. Jennings, Pace, etc. though Mills seeming to be most common bandit. Sorry if it's a daft question but are the different makes much the same inside so that if I got a Mills guide, for example, it would give me enough info for most common bandits?
Either way I think I will start at the beginning and get myself a bandit to work on, possibly at Coventry auction, so I know what I'm looking at, then get a suitable manual before I cause too much damage. !READ!

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:00 am

They are much the same, but most are based on the Mills.
At the right price, and bearing in mind the case......"needs some TLC" this might suit you:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152737759361?rmvSB=true

All Aristo's are pretty much indestructible, this one could easy live again.
brianh wrote:I will start at the beginning and get myself a bandit to work on, possibly at Coventry auction, so I know what I'm looking at, then get a suitable manual
Yeah, right you're going to buy a machine, open it up, then not touch it till the manual arrives... I can see that happening. :lol:

widget2k4 wrote:Bloody hell 125 quid
Time I sold mine then lol
Actually, I don't think I'd part with mine for £125 and I suspect neither would you Widge. :lol:
Last edited by coppinpr on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:48 pm

Keith ....... If your eyes are shut, how did you read the book? !PUZZLED!

widget2k4

Postby widget2k4 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Haha, I read the book first then never needed to look back at it again.
And yes I would certainly sell mine. lol

brianh

Postby brianh » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Yeah, right you're going to buy a machine, open it up, then not touch it till the manual arrives... I can see that happening. :lol:
Who said I wasn't going to touch it! 'fraid I tend to use manuals to find out where I went wrong, bit like getting a map out after I get lost which is why it took me 3 hours to get to Elephant House last time and got lost coming home :!?!:

Seriously though, take your point coppinpr! !!THUMBSX2!!

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:13 pm

I read the book first then never needed to look back at it again
Yes I did that but only because I couldn't remember where I'd put it let alone what was in it.

But now, no problem, next time I need to adjust the main operating fork assembly you can remind me. :lol:

brianh

Postby brianh » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:01 pm

Still not got my first Bandit (7 allwins later!) but have a chance of a Sega Mad Money locally. Looks to be in good working condition, only problem being it doesn't have the top box which seems to be a common attachment on the Mad Money ones. Holes are there to fit the box but they are blanked off.

Question is - are they fairly straightforward for a first bandit? I can live without the top box (though I did, in the 1960s, buy many copies of "Mad" mag !) and could maybe try to source one separately.

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:06 pm

Yes good machine to have and reliable

Top boxes come up occasionally. There were three at the recent spares sale. I have sold a few on eBay and may do so again as have about 5 or 6 original shells and artwork.....moderators, not selling one though on here, I tend to stick on eBay or someone else may sell one. Not needed, just for looks

brianh

Postby brianh » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Thanks for advice treefrog, and will keep an eye on eBay for top box if I get it, and post a wanted ad on forum in case anyone has a spare one they are selling.