Recasting a 1927 Chester Pollard Junior Golfer

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
treefrog

Re: Recasting a 1927 Chester Pollard Junior Golfer.

Post by treefrog »

Excellent work Gameswat, !!THUMBSX2!!
Are the moulds reusable with this material?
gameswat

Re: Recasting a 1927 Chester Pollard Junior Golfer.

Post by gameswat »

Yes Tree, I poured numerous examples in each mold for testing purposes etc and they show no signs of wear. And a great feature of this silicon is it will stick to itself if you don't use a release agent, so molds can be reworked after the fact if they need adjusting or customizing. Which is something I ended up having to do. Because this job wasn't for me I'd gone against my normal "all or nothing" type of ethic and cut as many corners as possible for my buddy to try and keep his costs down. But of course that quickly came back to bite me on the ass! I assumed I'd easily be able to drill out all the holes needed in each piece with basic jigs after casting. But this ended up a huge hassle, unless you were going into large scale production as the original company did with jigs specially made for each job. Just trying to clamp the pieces in each position under a drill press, or in the lathe was impossible without damaging them, or getting imperfectly true holes. So then I had to come back and add those inserts which I'd contemplated but not bothered with originally. All it meant was cutting holes in the molds where I wanted the inserts to run, slightly larger than the inserts. Then placing the original factory parts back inside each mold with the inserts in place. And pouring new silicon into the small voids around the inserts.
Attachments
With inserts in place.
With inserts in place.
The re-worked torso mold with added insert holes.
The re-worked torso mold with added insert holes.
The original torso mold without any inserts.
The original torso mold without any inserts.