Hello from South Devon!

Tell us a bit about yourself.
paxmanvalenta

Hello from South Devon!

Post by paxmanvalenta »

I’m delighted to have found this forum. I’ve always been interested in one arm bandit slot machines and hopefully this forum will help me better understand how they work. For example: How do the payout discs connect with their respective reels? One day I’d like to build my own.
It’s largely the nostalgia from when I was a child visiting seaside amusement arcades.

I’m also interested in model engineering and woodwork, also gardening.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Hello from South Devon!

Post by badpenny »

Hi paxmanvalenta ……….

Welcome on board, I was raised in Paignton, are you one of my family? How many fingers have you on your right hand?

The pay out discs on a mechanical bandit are connected directly to the reels, however because they are on the same axis there are three axels operating one inside the other. The pay out discs are reversed in order to the reels. So reel one is connected to pay out disc three, two is two and three is one. I'm glad we sorted that out and no mistake.

Model engineering and woodwork will help you in this hobby if you ever repair or restore one. I'm sorry to hear about the gardening, I don't know what to suggest about that. So far as I'm concerned a weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows. As for flowers, I have none in my house. I quite like cats but I wouldn't cut their heads off and display them in the hall.

I guess most of us started our interest by visiting seaside amusement arcades, it's just that some of us took up different interests from visiting seaside amusement arcades than others did. I've now finished my extensive courses of therapy and am finally allowed to walk with mixed company without being observed. It's not the same though, you can't beat the real thing.

BP :cool:
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

What only one welcome in 5 days - unusual :!?!:

Welcome paxmanvalenta to the most formative site in the universe, I've no great knowledge of those spinney wheel thingies, but there are plenty here that have and they may be along in a mo.
speedwell

Post by speedwell »

Yes, Welcome paxmanvalenta. You have joined the most knowledgeable and helpful site about vintage amusement machines. There are some great experts and superb resource sections within the site. Strongly recommend you pay the very modest fiver to access the Arena (see menu). Good hunting.
paxmanvalenta

Post by paxmanvalenta »

Thank you for your welcome and helping me understand how the Payout discs and reels are connected. I live about 9 miles from Paignton and that’s a good town for slot machines and so is Teignmouth Pier too.
I shall enjoy using this forum and getting to learn more about how slot machines work.

Kind Regards.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Ask away and share any photos you have, we love photos on here …… especially your wife and girl friend.

BP :cool: