Harper cigarette machine

Tell us a bit about yourself.
inkcollector

Harper cigarette machine

Post by inkcollector »

Hi, I hope you don’t mind me posting but I’ve come across your forum looking for information about a nice little Harper slot machine I found yesterday in a bus yard I’ve been clearing. How this survived so well when the shed was so open to the elements is amazing. I’ve hopefully attached photos for you to see. I'd be interested if anybody could shed a little light on it for me. I’ve had a look around the forum and never dreamt there were so many machines.
Kind regards, Ian
Attachments
78684710-5B78-4C34-A42E-D5DC59048DC6a.jpg
EDB647B6-07CA-4706-86F6-25B94092AF00a.jpg
3E6DAE13-3B2C-454D-B6C8-393579C8319Fa.jpg
70EA3152-A1B6-4929-8AAE-2A7086CE118Ba.jpg
472B7BDF-8FA5-4056-B3A6-C22AB1FE7C26a.jpg
29E9B8BE-6D8A-4112-B565-254EFDEBDBE1a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Harper cigarette machine

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Ian, welcome to the site and well done for saving that handsome Harper vendor. Here are a couple of similar examples that I've seen.
I assume you've already found Harper Vending Machines
Attachments
BAT-309.jpg
162.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Thanks for joining inkcollector, that's a nice vendor you've saved there, well done!

So what is your interest, what is you talk about that makes members of your family huff and roll their eyes?
With us it's penny machines, sit down, have a biscuit and let me tell you about mine.

You see, it all started back in the 70s immediately after decimalisation when I bought my first machines, the second one is pictured above with the sticker marked 162. I only sold it a couple of years back.
Actually the interest really started in the 60s when ……. are you still awake?

BP :cool:
inkcollector

Post by inkcollector »

Morning, yes I found the Harper thread and made for a good read. These machines are a lovely piece of history. I actually collect enamel signs and old bottles. Mainly shear lip Victorian glass ink bottles and then anything that has local interest. My father started me early when we used to go digging for bottles and the collecting never stopped. Like most collector I have stuff everywhere now. The biggest decision is whether this vendor gets a place in the house or the garage. Or whether I’m allowed it in the house... I take it your collecting doesn’t stop at vendors also?
Attachments
961D42FA-F748-42E3-9532-01BCBD07670Ca.jpg
06C9797D-D9C6-4256-AAA3-6A2078E22E63a.jpg
FFAF6CDE-7022-4A9A-94C2-D2DEE5BA1E62a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Oh lord love you NO!
Along with my 2 dozen one arm bandits and 15 or so wall type amusement machines I also have a pinball machine. None of which live in my garage.
Personally I've found keeping them in the house has always been resolved by refusing to negotiate on the subject, ask any of my three ex wives or four partners whom I've lived with.
Attachments
this8a.jpg
this5a.jpg
IMG_2365a.jpg
IMG_2324a.jpg
inkcollector

Post by inkcollector »

That’s an impressive collection you have there badpenny. You must of been searching some years to locate all of them.
I’ve been looking at my machine more today and am stuck as to how I might open it up. The key is long lost. I assume the lock mechanism is pretty simple inside so was considering buying a lock pick set and wasting a few hours trying to open it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Locks that use flat locker type keys I find don't pick easily.
I'd suggest taking the whole thing to a professional locksmith and let them go through their chain of keys.

Alternatively carefully drill through the two rivets either side of the lock as they are holding it in place.
Centre punch the middle of each rivet and enlarge to hole with ever increasing diameter drill bits.
Don't drill the barrel of the lock, it'll still leave you with a brass lock bar to move across and heaps of swarf inside the machine.

BP :cool:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Another method is key blank impressioning. Must admit I haven't tried it yet but will do so as soon as I get some key blanks.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I can see how that works with a cylinder lock, however those locker type jobbies are more like lever locks.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

ink collector wrote:I actually collect enamel signs and old bottles

Hi ink collector, is there a Forum or website you could recommend for enamel signs - info and discussions etc
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

penny machines wrote:I assume you've already found Harper Vending Machines

I think the gremlins are at it again Mr PM, got 'requested topic does not exist' when clicking the link
:!?!:

OK - thanks Arrgee - link fixed (it changed when I merged topics) - PM
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

www.oldshopstuff.com is a great site for advertising enamel signs etc.