Sega / Mills mechanism help

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
widget2k4

Re: Sega / Mills mechanism help

Post by widget2k4 »

The part in the picture is the reel kicker and is very badly worn and will probably not work. The spring attaches to the back at the same place the payout slides attach to.

Looks like the dog n cog has been adjusted to try and make the worn kicker work. It will need to be moved back a bit and the kicker will need to be repaired / replaced for it to work.
krisboyd

Post by krisboyd »

Anyone any ideas where I could get a reel kick ( part number 3f-8398) with springs from. The springs on my part seem homemade.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Just shows what can happen when a photo has nothing to gauge the size from. I totally misread the photo of the part,I though it much smaller than a kicker. :lol: Trust me to screw it up. :cool:

If no one has one you could get it repaired if you have to. It's just the face that does the kick that's worn out.
krisboyd

Post by krisboyd »

Just like to say a big thank you to Widget2k4 and coppinpr for pointing me in the right direction as I didn't have a clue.
Thanks again much appreciated.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

No problem. If you can't manage to find one, take it to a steel worker or blacksmith and they should be able to repair it for a couple of beer tokens.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Let us know once the kicker is repaired. I suspect there will have been a few adjustments made to try and counter the dodgy kicker that will need to be undone. :cool:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

coppinpr wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:10 pm I'm hoping others will take a look and I've asked BP to take a look at this post later today to see if all concur before we make any decisions. We are making progress. !THUMBS!
Don't ask me! !PUZZLED!
So far as I can see you've all covered it.

Just repeating ......
You need to adjust the Dog and Anvil so they just pass each other on the return and then see if the kicker engages. Obviously the spring goes to the front of the machine, as it pulls the kicker forward when released.
Get that far and report back is my advice.
:cool:
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

BP
You had me confused for a minute there?
I actually thought you said the spring goes to the front for the kicker?

Unless your reels spin backwards? :!?!:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Yes Keith, yes I did.
Which is also why I said Don't ask me! ...... I'm 63 you know?

I've only had around 60+ of these machines since I started, and can't remember ever having to redress the face of the kickers any more than 20 times. I do remember being totally stuffed by one around 20 years ago until someone pointed out to me the kicker was totally wrong for that machine. I can't remember if they all went front to back or back to back, I am sure they never went sideways though. |/XX\|

Goodnight
zzzzz

can I have muffins for breakfast?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Be warned, not all kickers are the same, there are variances.....also for that type of wear, unless and seriously heavily used machine, likely there was an adjustment issue with timing causing drag on the discs
krisboyd

Post by krisboyd »

Looking at the part closely it seems to be welded before at some point. I have managed to find another original kicker. With that and the timing adjusted do most people think it will solve it? The person that had it before me had issues with it and thought putting grease everywhere would be a good idea. !PUZZLED! I have got most of it off now.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Removing all the grease will do more than anything else to help.

The new kicker and dog adjustment will most likley fix it, BUT find the post in "tips and tricks" that shows you how to do the adjustment. Be sure to mark the current position of the anvil so you can return it if needs be and move it backwards in very tiny amounts. Retighten the bolt hard.
Also remember no oil of any kind near any part that handles a coin. Perhaps a good idea to remove the slides and clean them - easy to do. Remember to keep them in the correct order. If you need help, just ask.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Timing adjusted and kicker replaced stands a good chance and needs to be done even if only to eliminate.