Sega Progressive Star coin meter

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
radiochrissie

Sega Progressive Star coin meter

Post by radiochrissie »

Tonight’s homework...
This meter counts up 1 increment every 20 coins, but the part that is attached to the key does nothing when I turn it. Should the key be able to reset the counter ?
Attachments
C65AA027-7780-4DB2-8EB8-9ECDAB13EB79.jpeg
8747F2CD-A297-415D-861D-6D502A84BBBF.jpeg
treefrog

Re: Sega progressive star coin meter

Post by treefrog »

That is what I had understood, but I have no key for my machine, so never tried.....
brigham

Re: Sega Progressive Star coin meter

Post by brigham »

I've never met this machine.
Let me get this straight: For three Stars, it pays out two-and-a-half quid, plus anywhere up to 25 nicker on top?
All in tanners?
Where do I learn more?
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

There has to be a way to reset that. So, if by chance it hit 9999 and jackpot happens that is 2 and a half quid plus 249 quid old money hand pay, a small fortune in the day. No doubt the owners would regularly nobble this cause quite a risky payout for them. Also having a guess, i think this machine is around 1962 in age. Some facts about value in 1962 courtesy of the Guardian
"The average house price stood at £2,670, compared with £96,800 today. The average yearly pay was £799 compared with £22,939. A loaf of white bread which would cost around 55p now would then have cost on average 11.5d (4.5 p). A pint of milk would have set you back 1 shilling 4d (6.5p) compared with 40p on average today. A copy of the Guardian costing 55p today would have cost just 4d (1.5p) and a pint of beer 2 shillings 4d (11.5p)."
Attachments
ProgressiveStar_SlotMachine_AU_Flyer.jpg
422px-ProgressiveStar_SlotMachine_Flyer_SegaInc.jpg
andy g

Post by andy g »

Hi
On my machine there is a bevel gear on the back of the lock. When you turn the key clockwise it starts to reset the numbers. Keep turning the key and it resets to zero. Turning the key anticlockwise does not do anything.
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Thanks Andy, !!THUMBSX2!! I don’t have a key, that’s why I have taken it out. As you say, turning clockwise increases the clock until it resets to zero. Any chance of a close up pic of your key please?
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Just to clarify for anyone interested, when the jackpot is hit the machine drops a Sega token, along with the contents of the jackpot. The operator (hopefully) would then pay the meter value for that token. |/XX\|
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Actually , I think it only pays the token with three stars.
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

On my Progressive, the 3 melons or 3 bars pay the jackpot (originally about 140 sixpences, then after 1970 converted to shillings and paying about 100 coins). The 3 stars paid "100 coins plus meter reading" but they actually paid nothing. The winner had to shout to the bar staff to come over and verify the win. The bar staff would pay the equivalent of 100 x 6d coins plus the meter reading which would be 400 on average. Total won = £12 10 shillings back in the days when my father took home about £15 a week!

The 3 stars on my machine pays the jackpot. The meter window was covered up with body filler but I knocked it out and scraped the paint off the meter housing to reveal the wording engraved on it. The highest ever clocked up on my meter was 1246 when 3 stars arrived after 18 months of playing the machine (about 24000 times!).

When the size of the 5p and 10p coins were reduced, I found that the 20p coin fitted the slides but it was about 1 per cent thicker and 3 bells paid 17 coins instead of 18. I used a milling machine to cut a 0.3 mm groove in the "safety slide" below the bottom coin slide which allowed the coins to sit lower down and the 3 bells now pay 18 coins again.

Most of the Progressive Stars were withdrawn in the early 1970s when the legislation dictated that all awards must be paid by the machine. That's why there are so few of them around today.
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

malcymal wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:11 pm There has to be a way to reset that. So, if by chance it hit 9999 and jackpot happens that is 2 and a half quid plus 249 quid old money hand pay, a small fortune in the day. No doubt the owners would regularly nobble this cause quite a risky payout for them. Also having a guess, i think this machine is around 1962 in age.
Mine is August 1963. The serial number should give the game away. If it is between 710000 and 720000, it would be around that date. Mine is 724573 but I think the serial numbers referred to all machines, not just one model.