Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Electroplating (chrome, nickel etc.)

Postby pennymachines » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Hi Mr Steinslots! Nice to see you back. !!COOEE!!

That process sounds very interesting. I wonder whether it will lend itself to the home plater?

I had a go this summer working with a replica chrome kit and, like Martin, found the results pleasing and cost-effective (after some practice). I may get around to describing my experience in detail at some stage.

However, I don't think it would be practical for large items like Jennings cabinet castings. They would require too much current and electrolyte. Although it resembles chrome quite closely, it's actually nickel-cobalt. The cobalt imparts hardness, corrosion-resistance and a colder look than nickel alone. Nevertheless, it has a slightly warmer tone than chrome. It requires fairly meticulous, systematic attention to detail and is potentially a bit hazardous. Not for the faint-hearted, perhaps.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Now this is encouraging news Carl, and I'm sure we're all very interested to hear more.

Just one teeny weeny question my friend. having taken on board your statement as follows .....
steinslots wrote:.............. and also doesn't cause much harm to people or the environment.

Please confirm if you will that the following photo is in fact you .........
Uncle Stein.jpg

steinslots

Postby steinslots » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:29 am

Back in 1998 I used to work with a guy who, despite his age used to go out clubbing at these strange cyber-punk events.
One dark Halloween he challenged me to go out with him and a lady to a club which was hosting a "zombie fest" event and that I had to go in fancy dress. All I could think of was that voodoo guy from the James bond film "Never Say Die".
So I wore the dodgiest leather coat I could find, er.. an all-in-one Lycra glow-in-the-dark skeleton suit, some "Mighty Boosch" make-up and a funeral hat (don't ask).

It was actually a good night until I needed to spend a penny...................the rest is quite funny....

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:48 pm

On one of the Facebook groups I noticed this new process being put forward as a Chrome replacement “FutureChromes”. Claims not to be paint, but some kind of applied silver application with various protective coats to give the deep colour and reflective effect. Someone appears to be trying it on a bandit, so will see if they share the output. Problem is it is still not cheap. Home user kits start at $500+ and pro kits are serious money.

https://www.futurechrome.com/

Also I never saw any update on this long thread on some of the electro plate home kits....did anyone try as I must revisit this for small parts..

chris rideout

Postby chris rideout » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:44 pm

Jenollte made a clear liquid rust remover in my teenage days but that has not been seen for many years. It's probably become "dangerous" like creosote and a few other products. They might still stock a pink gel but I really want a potion that turns rust into a silver appearance. Who can help on this?

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:06 pm

chris rideout wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:44 pm
I really want a potion that turns rust into a silver appearance. Who can help on this?
Hydrochloric acid is what I use most of the time on bad rust. Cheap and does the job quickly. Then after washing the parts clean with water use a rust convertor to stop any instant rust and they will shine like bright steel. Of course it depends how badly pitted the surface is as whether you need to refinish in any way. Goes without saying that should be done outside.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:34 pm

treefrog wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:48 pm
Also I never saw any update on this long thread on some of the electro plate home kits....did anyone try as I must revisit this for small parts..
I had success with this, but it's quite a process - on a par with home photographic developing, which many of us tried in the pre-digital age. In other words, a bit messy and requires meticulous attention to detail. You need space to set it all up, and I found the kitchen table was not a popular choice. My kit included a primitive means of controlling the current from a car battery, but really you need a benchtop power supply with provision to vary the current independently of voltage.