Somebody knows... Maybe you?
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Bally Gold Cup Deluxe circa 1965

Postby coin-op » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:57 pm

A fellow collector, who is currently having some problem registering on this site, has asked me to post this question for him. Basically, he has just acquired a Bally Gold Cup Deluxe circa 1965. He knows nothing about the machine...not even quite how it works, and he is hoping that maybe someone can give him some information on it. He has a web page connected to his search for information which can be viewed at http://sites.google.com/site/goldcupdeluxe/
So, hopefully, someone can prove just what a remarkably helpful and informative site this is.
GoldCup.jpg

gameswat

Re: Bally Gold Cup Deluxe circa 1965

Postby gameswat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:24 am

Pity about that damaged backglass as I like the artwork. You see a lot of console style slots in the US for sale at nothing due to damaged glass. Used to effect pinball sales too until they started making repro glasses and prices jumped. They even make new playfields for some pins these days!

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:37 am

This looks like a similar type of machine to the Keeney, with the projection fruit displays at the top.....An interesting coverage by Operator Bell on their history below from another thread

"The unique thing about the Red Arrow is it was the first ever machine to use the IEE Inline Readout projector displays to show fruit symbols. At that time in the USA (1960) electric flasher machines had been around a few years - they got round the federal Johnson Act, which prohibited machines, because the Act specifically said a slot machine had reels and these didn't, they had switches. The earlier flashers had symbols on the front glass that lit up from behind. These displays allowed a 3-in-line display again. They were extremely popular for six or seven years and used by Keeney (of course), Bally (which secretly owned Keeney) and Clarence Schuyler's Games Inc. Towards the end of the 1960s, when these companies had given them up, they were used by the up and coming electronic games makers such as Dale, Raven and the predecessor of IGT"

More...

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:45 am

Dick Bueschel mentions this machine in Lemons, Cherries and Bell-Fruit-Gum:

The electronic uprights were briefly continued with GOLD CUP, DELUXE GOLD CUP and EXTRA STOUT, stretching into late 1966, after which a whole new line took their place. Uniquely British at first, and reaching into other European and international markets (but never the United States!), the newly formed Bally slot console combined the electromechanical MONEY HONEY format with an upright cabinet and backglass display.

operator bell

Postby operator bell » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:56 am

A machine very dear to my heart, as it was on a Gold Cup that I won my first jackpot. I have looked many years for one, but didn't know there were any left alive. Most of them took a gasoline shower when consecutive holds and various other of its features were outlawed in the late 1960s.

I see this one has "random holds", which means it's been reworked. The glass is not original - this was a pre-decimalization 6d machine that paid jackpots of 300 and 500 coins, not 750p and 1250p. Actually it only paid out 100 coins, the balance being paid out in gold award tokens worth 100 credits each. The woman holding the Gold Cup on the original glass bore such a curiously strong resemblance to Princess Anne that it caused adverse comment in the papers.

I have actually seen a schematic diagram for this machine, though I don't possess one and the man who did has probably passed away now. I have schematics of Keeney machines, but they didn't have a reflex unit or the Golden Odds - the Gold Cup was quite a bit more complex and borrowed a lot of ideas from Bally Bingo pinball games.
GOLD_CUP.JPG

thelad

Postby thelad » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:25 am

FYI. I have a working Bally Gold Cup. (not deluxe) It's been in my family since the late 1960's. Nothing wrong with the glass, just the glare from the flash. The various insert cards are in Danish. My brother bought it from an antique dealer in Toronto and I got it from my brother.
Picture Bill2 020.jpg
Picture Bill2 018.jpg

brigham

Postby brigham » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:55 am

I have the two smaller types, 'Lolly Dolly' and 'Extra Stout'.

operator bell

Postby operator bell » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:42 pm

In the (about) ten years since this thread was last active, I came across a Bally 'Mazooma Bell", which is a close relative of the Gold Cup, and thought it might be helpful to share some pics of the innards. These Bally machines are completely different from the more familiar Keeney and Games flasher machines. Note the two long vertical cam units on the door - these will be instantly familiar to anyone who's ever seen inside a Bally Bingo pinball. The top one runs the fruits and odds lights, and the bottom one is the game timer, with the "features" disk (golden odds, etc) at the bottom. The bottom timer is very complicated. It has an intermittent motion device at the motor end, that changes the game timing for randomization, and the cams are in several groups with individual clutches to stop and release as required. The gray rectangular box at the top of the door is a reflex unit, used to tighten up the payback after a series of wins and loosen it when the machine is ahead, making the payback converge on a set percentage. On the Gold Cup it worked by changing the number of wild BAR symbols. Inside the main cabinet next to the hopper you can see a short tube and slide that paid out jackpot tokens for wins over 100.
mazooma5.jpg

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:48 pm

We had one of these Gold Cup machines in our local snooker hall in the mid to late 60s and we loved it. The "modern" electronic reels seemed sharp and smooth, seeming to tumble along and, of course, they showed up well in the semi-dark snooker hall. :lol: (Punters wouldn't settle for such a small play window today). We had the same model as in the flyer with additional ways to lose a hard earned winner. The first non-mechanical machine I ever liked.

Very interesting to read about the adjusted payouts. Wouldn't have mattered if they had told us about that... we would still have played it. :HaHa:

ballymad

Postby ballymad » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:42 pm

Switch3.jpg
same machine different switch stack