Vermaakspel

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
fredslilja

Vermaakspel

Post by fredslilja »

This is a machine I bought a year ago on ebay. I think you collectors with more experience than I have do know what I mean when you got a machine in rather good shape. Should you start to restore it or should you leave it the way it is??

One day I think RESTORE IT :???: . The other day DON´T DO IT :???: .

This is a day I say RESTORE IT :evil: (I don´t know about tomorrow)

Well the first thing that would be nice of me to do is collect some knowledge about the machine. First after that I can make a better choice of what to do.

I bought it from Holland and there were no coins with it. The seller thought it was old dutch 10cents that would fit. When I tried these coins I wasn´t so sure about that. They were a bit smaller than the coin-insert and a little too lightweight.

I believe this would be called Allwin Reserve-Ball if it was British made.
Maybe it is British made and converted later on to some other coins?

I think it is a rather beautiful mechanism in it. Play it with coins and payout is in tokens.

Any information about this machine is very welcome. Even advice as ”leave it the way it is”.

I send a couple of photos and then I will send some documents with pictures and arrows and text on it. It is easier for me to ask questions that way.
Hope it works ;) .
fredslilja
Attachments
Wermaakspel_016.jpg
Wermaakspel_021.jpg
Holland_026.jpg
Holland_027.jpg
Holland_034.jpg
fredslilja

Re: Vermaakspel

Post by fredslilja »

Here come the documents.
(Click to enlarge)
Attachments
bildpilar.jpg
bildpilar2.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'll leave the clever stuff to those that know, I'm intrigued by the knob on the side that stops the coin at the gate, never seen that before.
The coin slot looks a bit hand made to me (but what do I know?) and can only suggest that the handle on the front is for lifting the door off the case, but it does seem a bit excessive.

As for restoration I have to confess that it already looks better than a lot of my machines do after I've done my bit to them. I guess my standards are a lot lower than most other peoples. :oops:

Over to the oak case and brass fittings boys ............
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

I have to say that I prefer these sort of machines left just as they are with only a gentle clean to the metal and oil to the wood. I have seen some machines with far too much done to them and they lack that authenticity and seem to have had their age and character stripped from them in an undignified way.

I think it is a difficult, but personal decision as it is very easy to create something it is not. Anyone remember Barbara Cartlands make-up !!
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

I'm going to vote with the "leave it alone" contingent. It is true that this machine is not original, having had replacement items (eg. the top board) added. Even so, it is a very attractive game just as it is. More importantly, the condition helps tell the story of the machine. It has worked hard to make money for it's owners; this is why specific pieces are a little worn or replaced. To replace everything that appears less than perfect would be to rob the game of its identity. So, put me down for the "light polish" and enjoy just as it is.

Pedigree-wise, I would venture to guess that the machine was originally manufactured in Germany. You may want to try German coins to test the theory.
JC

Post by JC »

I agree with John's views on restoration - leave it as it is.
I also agree that the machine is almost without doubt German. I'm fairly certain it isn't French, and to the best of my knowledge, we (the British) didn't produce reserve ball machines (although I've still to find concrete evidence of this).
fredslilja

Post by fredslilja »

Don´t worry :roll: I have listened to your advice. I won´t destroy it with a major renovate I stick to the light polish and some oiling to the mecanism. I don´t think a have the heart to do it anyway. I looked up Barbara Cartland on internet and that is a good example not to do it :D .

Anyway I am very grateful about information about the machine :P

fredslilja
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I go through this thoughts all the time, to renovate or to restore...difference being quite a lot of money and swearing for the restore.
I like something that is aged and looks like its been used, and importantly can still be used without thinking you are going to damage or scratch something after making it pristine. Its an interesting machine, nice find.