Sega Continental Escalator and few bits

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
malcymal

Sega Continental Escalator and few bits

Post by malcymal »

Picked up my restoration project, a sega continental. Mechanism is sweet, needs a lot of TLC on the body work so will keep me busy for a while, im hoping to take some inspiration from the Lord Sega project. Couple of things not quite right.

Coin entry, coins arent always dropping into the escalator but being rejected, rejecting more than working. Any ideas?? I see a screw on the front, but theres a big nut on the back. Maybe this is a clue but im not sure.

There are 2 coin detector pins, it seems the first one is doing the work. Was this anything to do with 2 plays for 6d, although machine doesnt say two plays for 6d, it works with just one pull, if not what is the purpose of detector pin 2? I have to adjust this when i find a alum key small enough to fit it as the handle isnt pulling (easy fix this one)

Coins arent falling into the coin tube, theres a slide coming over when you start to pull the handle which redirects coin into cash box. My jubilee does this when the tube is full. The tube isnt full, any ideas??

Got machine paying out at least, 5 gold award tokens in the tube and they were sega contiental ones, so result.
Thanks for your help guys, im a bit stuck.

Also can anybody tell me how to get the bandit handle arm sleeve off?? i cant work it out, taken off the two bolts and dont wont to force it.
Attachments
rear.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
operator bell

Re: Sega Continental Escalator and few bits

Post by operator bell »

If this was a Mills, the second pin, the one on the left, would be a token detector. On Mills machines its linkage goes down to the payout slides and stops the machine paying out if the pin is allowed to move forward, like by finding a hole in the middle of the "coin". Your Sega may be a bit different, it doesn't look like it's on its own lever, it looks connected to the pin on the right. In which case I'd guess it was there to give a second play when the coin moved along one position.
malcymal

Re: Sega Continental Escalator and few bits

Post by malcymal »

Operator Bell wrote:If this was a Mills, the second pin, the one on the left, would be a token detector. On Mills machines its linkage goes down to the payout slides and stops the machine paying out if the pin is allowed to move forward, like by finding a hole in the middle of the "coin". Your Sega may be a bit different, it doesn't look like it's on its own lever, it looks connected to the pin on the right. In which case I'd guess it was there to give a second play when the coin moved along one position.
Yep, its a token detector. I was fathoming this out, with the machine there were 6 special award tokens, a bundle of tokens hidden inside with holes in middle (like a polo mint). That spring is there cause the bloke couldnt work out how to get machine working. The award card states max payout of 10. The jackpot is 5 shillings by token, well 10 * 6d coins was five shillings. I guess you would cash up your money for tokens and could never win a cash prize. Other continentals ive seen were 2 plays for sixpence with all wins paying out 2 coins (1 shilling) with jackpot of 5 shillings in trade (so the jackpot was more than the normal wins). When i played with sixpences, a coin deflector came over and the sixpence went straight to cashbox, the tokens went to tube. Ive simply removed the coin deflector for now so 6d coins go into the tube. Its quite an ingenious mechanism, took me a while to work the logic and tune it up. My mech is all paying out now and coins going in straight away. There was also a payout lock mechanim put in that stopped the payout forks activating the slides (cunning). I guess they engaged this when machine was in transit. Still let you put your money in but you couldnt win a bean as it was impossible to do so.